IGNORED

long hybrid VS. 7 wood ... pro's / con's & your preference

inthehole
Note: This thread is 3791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Check the weight ports on woods and hybrids. If you can see inside the head when the weight screws are removed, it's easier to add glue "strategically" inside the head.

Ralph Maltby makes the KE4 ST-1 driver head, and I was able to remove the weight screw and put the glue inside.

If you're also getting a reshaft, the clubsmith can squirt glue down through the hosel before the shaft goes in. A good clubsmith can computer fairly accurately how much glue to add depending on how much the shaft is cut. Also, you can re-establish swingweight if you trim the shaft, and go with a lighter weight grip than the original.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I picked up a G25 20*hybrid while in San Diego this weekend it was a Demo club or should I say a return but it was $40 off from a new one.

Figure it cant be to used they just came out, also only had a small scratch on the bottom who cares it will get more the minute I take it to the range.

Will see how much I like it this week never really used a 7w when i had it. But from all I am reading I may get more use out of this?

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Originally Posted by Domenic

I was wondering the same thing. I feel hybrids offer versatility, as hybrid meaning something powered by more than one source, so you've got interaction, forgiveness, etc. whereas woods have more raw distance but less versatility.

i think you'll find it was neil young said that way before kurt cobain

:)

• 6 months later...

To rejuvenate an old thread:

After playing hybrids in 21 degrees, I have an itch to check out the Adams Tight Lies 7 wd.

I have no issues with certain hybrids  in 24 degrees and above, but when loft goes down, shaft length goes up, and it seems that a 21 H is more difficult to hit consistently well.

I cannot hit an RBZ Stage 1 or 2 Hybrid consistently well - or even well until I get to 25 degrees. Those clubs do not work for me. I will probably avoid TM for a long time now.

Recently, I received a Bobby Jones 2013 21H that I hit better - the mistake is a low bullet. The well hit ones feel great, draw slightly and get up. But I had a swing issue the other day when hitting it - I am getting too steep, besides my normal issues.

I hit the Adams Tight Lies 16 at a demo and hit it well - nice club.

It's a tough decision - but I'll work on the swing before I spring for a Tight Lies 7 wd.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

... I hit the Adams Tight Lies 16 at a demo and hit it well - nice club.

It's a tough decision - but I'll work on the swing before I spring for a Tight Lies 7 wd.

You're thinking about going where I've already gone.

I played in 2012 with a first-year RBZ 3W.HL (4w) and 7W, and a 4H. Had trouble with hooking the ball, and switched in May to a Tour Edge Exotics XRail 4W (16.5*)  and 7W (21*). I've been quite happy with the XRails and did a review on them:

http://thesandtrap.com/products/tour-edge-exotics-xrail-fairway-woods/reviews/4747

For 4H, I went with Adams Idea V4 (22*). It bridges the 7W and 4i nicely. In September, I got the V4 3H (19*). I want to try the 3H instead of 7W  in November through March when the wind is higher and the rough is lighter.

Hope I'm not overthinking it. I'll let you all know how it works out. Mr. D, your caution on the lower-lofted Hs is noted.

(Didn't realize how popular the V4 was. It went out of production this spring, and I really had to hunt for the 3H.)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I'm not a big fan of hybrids.  I currently have a four (Ping G25) that sort of alternates in and out of my bag.  It's not in my sig because I got sick of changing it with the shifting winds of my preference for that of my 4i.  However, a while back while very frustrated with the search for a 3h that I didn't snap hook at the most inopportune times, I stumbled on a G20 7 wood on the used rack at Golfsmith.  I love that club!

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Thanks Wutiger for the info, will check them out. I am in the middle of a decision also on a 7w 20* or a Ping Hybrid 20*. I currently play a ping 4w it is 16.5* and love it so I need an in between my 4w and my 4 i.

I am in the same boat. I have the Ping G20 4-wood (16.5°) which is awesome & trying to find the right club for in between the 4-W & 5-iron (27°). Right now I have the Tour Edge Exotics 4-H (22°) but can't seem to master the "hybrid swing" yet... kind of frustrating b/c I know it's a good club. It has a Reg-flex Fujikura Blur 75 shaft which I have been told is really on the stiff side of regular flex (not sure about that). I have an original Adams TightLies 7-W (24°) that I used to carry & the 9-W (28°) too. I hit these woods pretty well for a while, but the Reg-flex shafts in them seem really whippy now and my accuracy with them has diminished. So they are out of the bag. Driver is great, 4-wood is great, 5-PW are great, wedges are great, putter is on! Now I just need that perfect "distance club" between the 4-wood & 5-iron. All advice welcome... -George-

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

I am in the same boat. I have the Ping G20 4-wood (16.5°) which is awesome & trying to find the right club for in between the 4-W & 5-iron (27°). Right now I have the Tour Edge Exotics 4-H (22°) but can't seem to master the "hybrid swing" yet... kind of frustrating b/c I know it's a good club. It has a Reg-flex Fujikura Blur 75 shaft which I have been told is really on the stiff side of regular flex (not sure about that). I have an original Adams TightLies 7-W (24°) that I used to carry & the 9-W (28°) too. I hit these woods pretty well for a while, but the Reg-flex shafts in them seem really whippy now and my accuracy with them has diminished. So they are out of the bag. Driver is great, 4-wood is great, 5-PW are great, wedges are great, putter is on! Now I just need that perfect "distance club" between the 4-wood & 5-iron. All advice welcome...

-George-

You might try the new Adams Tight Lies 2013  7 wood at 22 degrees and 41.5 inches. It is getting some nice reviews as a rescue wood and twice as hot as original.  I called www.discountdansgolf.com and they are selling for $169. I was also told that they would sub any standard Adams Shaft, meaning the Matrix Red Tie  60 something gram would be available at no up charge if that is true. So if the Mitsu Eagle may seem a little high or soft, the Red Tie ...  I demoed the 16 Tight Lies, and in my 10 swings, found it easy to get up in the air, even with a stiff, and I do R flex - could have been a little higher flight, but I haven't hit a 16 or a s flex in several years...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Like what Mr. D said about not shortening more than about a half inch and adding about a couple of grams to the head. Stripped off excessive lead tape and reapplied about 4 inches to a 45 inch driver and 3 inches to my 42.5 inch 4-wood. Feels great!

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

Don't know about a 3H versus a 7W in terms of distance but I do know that my 7W is my go to club in many situations, e.g., fairways, lite roughs, fairway buckers (if a good lie), and off the tee. I usually hit it about 175 to 185, maybe 190 if I really connect. I have had my Cobra 7W for years and love it. I too have trouble hitting 3H & 4H, I go to my 7W instead.

I personally play a Callaway Razr  X Black 9 wood. At 24 degrees, it is probably the equivalent of an old 7 wood.

For me, it gets up in the air fast and has replaced my 4 hybrid.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

• 4 weeks later...
I go 3w, 5w, 7w. I hit thev7w much better! 7hc, 95 mph driver ss

I've got a hickory shafted 1 iron if you ever want to upgrade from that 7 wood.

In the :ogio: Cart Bag :cleve: Launcher 9.5° Stiff :dunlop: 15° 3W Stiff :wilson_staff: D100 / 19 & 22° Hybrids Stiff :adams: CB3 Irons 4-GW Steel :adams: A7OS 54.5° SW :nike: 60/06 V Red LW :cobra: 35" Face Balanced Mallet Putter

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried to move the seven wood out of the bag, but it just keeps coming back... I've a few brands/models (Adams TightLies, Cleveland Quadpro, Callaway SuperSteel). I tried to "replace" the seven wood with a hybrid and that didn't quite work out. I like my PING G20 4-wood so well, that I tried the PING G20 7-wood and it is a resident of the bag now. I'm keeping the PING G25 hybrid (23*) in there as well, but the 7-wwod is staying for sure.

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

I have tried to move the seven wood out of the bag, but it just keeps coming back... I've a few brands/models (Adams TightLies, Cleveland Quadpro, Callaway SuperSteel). I tried to "replace" the seven wood with a hybrid and that didn't quite work out. I like my PING G20 4-wood so well, that I tried the PING G20 7-wood and it is a resident of the bag now. I'm keeping the PING G25 hybrid (23*) in there as well, but the 7-wwod is staying for sure.

In that case you might as well drop the 5 iron and add another hybrid...seems like you're not that confident or very proficient with mid to long range irons.

In the :ogio: Cart Bag :cleve: Launcher 9.5° Stiff :dunlop: 15° 3W Stiff :wilson_staff: D100 / 19 & 22° Hybrids Stiff :adams: CB3 Irons 4-GW Steel :adams: A7OS 54.5° SW :nike: 60/06 V Red LW :cobra: 35" Face Balanced Mallet Putter

Note: This thread is 3791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!