IGNORED

Cleveland Classic Driver

Domenic
Note: This thread is 4151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What do you think?

• Handsome
    • Wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with it
    • Looking to buy

Originally Posted by Domenic

really, that's weird, it's heavier but why that makes it more expensive is beyond my semi primitive mind.

Usually the "tour" version of any club is more money...  In this case the stock shafts are different... with the 270 and the 290 the shaft is the Miyazaki C. Kua Series while the 310 has a Miyazaki Kusala Black....

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Also noticed (and not that this is a reason that the "tour" version costs more) that the 270 and 290 have a square face angle whereas the 310 (tour) sets up 1 degree open.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by colin007

effing ugly.

I'd like it more if it was mimicking the old amber or even light reddish brown persimmons and if it was about the size of a modern 3-wood or maybe a mid-90s driver (i.e. < 190 cc), but it just seems more wrong the more I look at it. I'll go with a modern high tech black driver and when I want to throw away the scorecard and play for fun I'll consider using a real persimmon driver, since I have a few of those. And yet, with a modern ball, using a wooden headed wood still feels like cheating. What's a slight draw or fade now would have been a 90 degree detour in the 80s.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• 3 weeks later...

so i had a long break from work today and stopped by the local golf shop

couldnt help but be completely intrigued by the cleveland classic

have to say i wasnt the biggest fan of the appearance but it def looks better in person

i decided to whack some balls with it compared to the g20 (i play the g15 now)

took me a while to get used to it considering how deep the face was

ive always used a more shallow face driver considering im not very consistent and need a lot of forgiveness

BUT after a while, i didnt want to put it down!

it felt so much more solid and powerful than the ping

i mean, granted i was maybe getting 5-8 yards more from it (which was really surprising!)

ive never used a cleveland driver before but this completely caught me off guard

i am very impressed and would recommend this to anyone

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin007

effing ugly.

I'd like it more if it was mimicking the old amber or even light reddish brown persimmons and if it was about the size of a modern 3-wood or maybe a mid-90s driver (i.e. < 190 cc), but it just seems more wrong the more I look at it. I'll go with a modern high tech black driver and when I want to throw away the scorecard and play for fun I'll consider using a real persimmon driver, since I have a few of those. And yet, with a modern ball, using a wooden headed wood still feels like cheating. What's a slight draw or fade now would have been a 90 degree detour in the 80s.

I was checking them out in person at Golf Town the other day.

I prefer to continue using a new black driver and occasionally use a real persimmon driver when it strikes me to go old school. This Cleveland is Fauxld School.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I saw it last weekend and thought it was really ugly. That and the Adams Speedline take the cake for ugliest drivers this year to me.

DRIVER | Titleist 913D 10.5* 

WOODS | Titleist 913F.d 15* 

HYBRID | Titleist 913H 19* :titleist:

IRONS | Titleist 714 AP1 4-P :titleist:

WEDGES | Titleist Vokey 48*, 52*,56* 

PUTTER | Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 

BALL | Titleist Pro V1x  

I saw them today at GG.    I thought it was very cool looking in much the same way the new Mustangs and Challengers do (old school look but full of modern tech.).   The guy at GG said the gold stuff was paint and it was still up in the air as to how well that paint is going to hold up..   As a result, I am not interested in playing one.  Since I am not flush enough to buy a $300 driver to have a conversation piece, I will have to pass on it...

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Originally Posted by teamroper60

The guy at GG said the gold stuff was paint and it was still up in the air as to how well that paint is going to hold up..

It's an interesting idea, but the head size is too big and the paint looks cheesy. The crown should just be a flat dark brown, and the sole should really be brass plated instead of painted. A bit extra weight perhaps, but minimal and it would actually look good with wear. The face stripe is going to scuff either way, they should have done a different color than gold on it, maybe black or dark red. The silver face destroys the illusion, so it might as well not try quite as hard. It'd also be really cool to see a shaft with a steel chrome-looking finish.

Also, it would make a lot more sense to do this on a set of fairways, since they have more margin for moving the weight around and could get away with more brass plating and the like. Also the FW would look more traditional in terms of head size alone.

And why aren't the hosel and ferrules at least faux whipped? It can be the normal profile and not bulky, but still have the whipped texture. It is an OK idea but it's so superficially done they shouldn't have bothered. They could make it look a lot better without hurting performance, so I think they should.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Some pics and info on Cleveland for 2012

http://thesandtrap.com/t/56104/cleveland-golf-2012-pics

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 3 months later...

I just bought one...i was having incredible numbers on it via a trackman compared to my RBZ Tour driver i currently use. club is STUPID good. it makes you want to hit the bajesus out of it, and the best part? it LETS you and still puts it in the fairway. fantastic club!

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I demoed one of these a few weeks ago and was crushing the ball.  I really like how it looks also and will be picking one up this week.

Originally Posted by Gioguy21

I just bought one...i was having incredible numbers on it via a trackman compared to my RBZ Tour driver i currently use. club is STUPID good. it makes you want to hit the bajesus out of it, and the best part? it LETS you and still puts it in the fairway. fantastic club!

A club that perform miracles!! Wow!!! who needs a player?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

A club that perform miracles!! Wow!!! who needs a player?

wow, with sarcasm like that, it's amazing you don't do standup as a opening act for carrot top. i was giving a review based on my opinions, if you have nothing good to say, regardless of your rep you could keep your mouth shut. gfy.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Originally Posted by Gioguy21

wow, with sarcasm like that, it's amazing you don't do standup as a opening act for carrot top. i was giving a review based on my opinions, if you have nothing good to say, regardless of your rep you could keep your mouth shut. gfy.

Dont sweat it. Its hard to like a cat person.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Thanks to those who based their opinions on how it plays rather than how it looks. Personally, I tend to skip over those comments that are not based on actual playing experience. Skepticism rooted in superstition are mere rumors. Nothing more. Those who judge a club by its looks says more about you than the club. What does a cat know about golf anyway?

Note: This thread is 4151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!