IGNORED

Private C.C.'s

The Golfing Polack
Note: This thread is 5962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'd like to get other people's opinions about private golf and country clubs. Obviously having a private club is a tradition in golf that will never go away, but unless you are financially sound and well connected most of these great courses are beyond the reach of the average golfer. Some may say that this is a good thing, and it keeps riff-raff off the courses, but having caddied at a very exclusive club in TN I can honestly say that most people that play public courses are more conscious of the rules and etiquette of the game than most that play at privates. I'm surrounded by beautiful golf courses, but have access to only 2 or 3, which really ticks me off. I guess I haven't come to grips with the fact that there are great golf courses in this state, country, and world that an average guy like me has 0% chance of ever playing.

And that, America, is what really grinds my gears.

What's in my Edge stand bag
G10 10.5*
Z-Steel 3 wood 14.5* 403-AD 18* & 21* Hybrids Burner 09 4-pw DGS300 Z TP 52* & RAC TP Black 56* White Steel 2 Ball SRT 35" Tour B330s

I don't get what's the big deal about getting into a private golf course. The nearest one to my house has been jammed in on one side by a college campus, a four-lane road on another, a new subdivision, and an expanding hospital. The place is so tiny that even the slightest of mishits would send you out of bounds, across the road, or into the next fairway. I'll take my regular, public course over it anyday, since we're talking about a square mile as opposed to....30 acres, if that.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

• Administrator
I don't get what's the big deal about getting into a private golf course. The nearest one to my house has been jammed in on one side by a college campus, a four-lane road on another, a new subdivision, and an expanding hospital. The place is so tiny that even the slightest of mishits would send you out of bounds, across the road, or into the next fairway. I'll take my regular, public course over it anyday, since we're talking about a square mile as opposed to....30 acres, if that.

I would have to say your example of a country club is an exception, though, and not the rule. Many country clubs are pretty sprawling places. Oakland Hills, for example. Or Augusta National.

To the original point, yeah, so? There are always places you probably will never be. The clubs have no obligation to allow anyone else in and membership isn't granted based solely on knowing the rules.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been lucky to have been invited to play a couple of private clubs, one here and one back home in Alabama. I've also gotten to walk through a couple of others, but not play. With the exception of The Ledges in Huntsville, they're no different from many of the public courses I play...as far as the course goes. The courses don't seem any more difficult or any easier or really maintained or manicured any differently.

The main difference I see is the clientele that populates each course. I did notice there was an air of arrogance on the private circuits, maybe unintentionally and maybe not. I know some people take great pride in being able to be a member of certain clubs, whether that's financially able or by proxy. Taking nothing away from that, a decent quality public course is just as good as any private course.

I've also noticed that whenever the folks that play their private course ever play in a tournament on a public course, their score seems to rise "unexpectedly" and they start making excuses about this and that. I know of one in particular who always talks about shooting a 73 or 75 at his home course (private club), but whenever he plays a round with the rest of us, he's struggling to get near 80. My thought is there is a bit of an isolation syndrome for some club players. If you play the same course every single day, then yes I would expect your handicap to continually drop because you know every single bump on that course. Then, whenever they step away from their "bubble", the scores aren't the same and some can't cope with the fact that maybe they're just not quite as good as they believed they were.

Private clubs are nice and they have their place in society and those who choose to be members, and are chosen, have earned the right to claim their status. At this stage in my life (and golf game), I don't see the payoff other than being able to add that social tag to your name. Give me my public courses that are sometimes brown and hard as rocks with greens that have a mind of their own. To me, that's the fun part of golf. It's not so serious that I have to play on the most pristine grounds. Heck, if anything, it's just fun trying to be creative enough to hit a shot that has to deal with those anomalies!

Scott Sandlin
ROLL TIDE!

Driver: Taylormade R7 425 10.5 deg, Stiff
Fairway: Taylormade R7 Steel 13 deg, Wilson Deep Red II Distance 18 deg, StiffIrons: Titleist 735.cm 3-PW, DG S300, +1.5", +4 deg upWedge: Titleist Vokey SM 53 deg and 59 degPutter: Scotty Cameron Santa Fe 33"Ball: Titleist...

• Administrator
I've been lucky to have been invited to play a couple of private clubs, one here and one back home in Alabama.

Okay, so you're basing your opinion on two clubs.

Taking nothing away from that, a decent quality public course is just as good as any private course.

That's pure poppycock, I'm sorry. Again, Augusta National is a private course. Please find a public course anyone would be willing to play over Augusta National?

This country has - if you're willing to pay a lot of money in some cases - some good public courses. Bethpage Black, Pebble Beach... Pinehurst #2. But for each of those, there are four or five private courses that will outdo them, and more as the list goes on.
I've also noticed that whenever the folks that play their private course ever play in a tournament on a public course, their score seems to rise "unexpectedly" and they start making excuses about this and that. I know of one in particular who always talks about shooting a 73 or 75 at his home course (private club), but whenever he plays a round with the rest of us, he's struggling to get near 80.

Could it be that they're used to their course, know where to miss or how to escape trouble, how putts break, and are used to fairly homogeneous conditions, unlike you find at public courses? Plus, there's something to be said for playing an unfamiliar course in a

tournament setup over the general day-to-day play of their home course.
Then, whenever they step away from their "bubble", the scores aren't the same and some can't cope with the fact that maybe they're just not quite as good as they believed they were.

In my own experience, that can depend. My home courses is over-rated (literally, the slope and course rating). But it's really difficult, too, with tricky greens and narrow fairways. So with a correction to the slope and course rating, my handicap index would travel very well.

At this stage in my life (and golf game), I don't see the payoff other than being able to add that social tag to your name.

We've had threads here that talk about the merits of joining versus playing public courses, and there's a lot more to it than a "social tag." For some, it's a cost-saving measure that also happens to grant me access to the best course in my area. Others have seen even more cost-saving reasons to join than I have.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Geez man, don't be so defensive. The guy asked for opinions and I gave mine. I'm not as well versed in the vast amounts of golf courses as most people, so I can only go from what I've seen and heard. It's not all inclusive, nor did I explain it to be. I gave logical and valid reasons for my opinion that was based on my experiences at the two clubs I've played at, as well as those I've visited but not played. I did fail to mention that I took input from others, so that's a mistake on my part. I also used reasonable comparisons. Putting Augusta National in one corner will make it hard for anyone to argue against the quality of a private course. However, how many on this forum are members at Augusta or even have the chance at becoming a member? I would guess very few. Plus, it's all purely speculative anyway. One person's Augusta is another person's pitch-and-putt. To me, at this point in my life, I have no desire to join a private club for the sake of playing the same course. I don't see the advantage of any better playing conditions except maybe tee times. Maybe if my salary doubles or triples in the next few years I can even think about affording that kind of luxury, but for most people I know they're all very content with public courses.

I responded to the intial post asking of opinions and I gave mine. I don't see any reason to dissect my post and try to prove me wrong.

Scott Sandlin
ROLL TIDE!

Driver: Taylormade R7 425 10.5 deg, Stiff
Fairway: Taylormade R7 Steel 13 deg, Wilson Deep Red II Distance 18 deg, StiffIrons: Titleist 735.cm 3-PW, DG S300, +1.5", +4 deg upWedge: Titleist Vokey SM 53 deg and 59 degPutter: Scotty Cameron Santa Fe 33"Ball: Titleist...

• Administrator
Geez man, don't be so defensive.

I'm not defensive - I just don't like bad information.

However, how many on this forum are members at Augusta or even have the chance at becoming a member? I would guess very few.

That's a bit beside the point, isn't it? I'm a member of a country club, as are many others on this forum. No, not Augusta National, but you included "all" in your talk. "All" is easily disproved with one example - I chose Augusta National.

In the Erie area, my club is far and away better than any of the public ones. The top three, in fact, may be private clubs. Please just avoid making sweeping generalizations based on an incredibly small sample size.
I don't see the advantage of any better playing conditions except maybe tee times.

Again, for many - myself included - joining a CC is a cost-saving measure. There are, of course, several other reasons, including "free" range balls, better practice facilities, "family" rates, pools/tennis courts, the ability to play three holes and go home, tee times as you mentioned, and so on.

I responded to the intial post asking of opinions and I gave mine. I don't see any reason to dissect my post and try to prove me wrong.

It's a forum, the point of which is discussion.

I think that opinions on this are strongly affected by regional demographics. Here in the Colorado front range region, we have our share of private clubs (including Castle Pines Golf Club, site of the now defunct International), but we are also blessed with some excellent public courses, both municipally and privately owned. We have publicly accessible courses designed by most of the better golf architectural firms, Nicklaus, Irwin, Palmer, Dye, Robert Trent Jones. We also have a local designer, Dick Phelps, who has created some excellent local courses over a long career.

Phelps designs include my home course, technically a muni, although not managed by a city, but by the tax funded Foothills Recreation District which does nothing except manage recreational opportunities in the region it serves. He is also currently involved in a refurbishing of the Red Rocks Country Club course just west of Denver, so he isn't just a low level muni designer.

The point of my comments is that I think that some of the older golfing regions are more steeped in the tradition and mystique (and in some cases snobbery) of the private club. The difference in quality between the public and private golf courses is greater, and the opportunities for the public golfer are far more limited than I see here. Private clubs seem to be less popular here because of the restrictions that it can put on one's playing opportunities. If I was a member of a private club, I would feel financially obligated to play my home club for probably 95% of my golf. By not joining a club, I keep my options and my wallet open.

While I play most of my daily rounds on my home course (as a part time employee, I get really cheap golf), I am always ready to go any place to play on a Saturday with my friends. If I was paying $2000 or more for a private membership, that would pretty much be my whole golf budget. Even including buying a new driver I won't spend more than that all this year, and I'm playing a LOT of golf, at least 25 rounds so far this year already.

So it seems to me that the answer to this question will always split down the middle between those who can afford to join a club and/or suffer from a regional lack of quality public golf, and those who either don't want the financial restrictions of joining an expensive club or who don't see the need because of the ready availability of a good supply of excellent public courses.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• 3 weeks later...
I realize that some clubs here are pretty snobbish and don't want guests. I belong to a private club, grew up on another and played it my whole childhood.

However, I think it wouldn't hurt to mimic some of the Scottish traditions and have open tee times for guests if they can qualify. E.g. anyone can go play Muirfield if they book far enough in advance and meet certain requirements, one of which is a handicap below 18. I think more of our great courses should open up to this for a steep fee.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

Damn Here!Here! ROLL TIDE!!!

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

Question of golf budget for me. If I lived in another part of the US I would probably belong to one, but living where I do (the SF Bay Area) the private clubs I would like to join are fairly expensive (up front fee) and the monthly fees match about what my monthly golf budget is.

I enjoy playing many different courses, and by joining one club, financially I would see myself wanting to play just that one club.

There are also a good number of good quality public courses in this area, so that helps.

Yet there are some advantages to belonging to a private CC. I have played several as a guest and there are somethings I really like. Once/if I get to the point that I can afford to have a membership and still play other courses, I will probably join one.

I do agree that if you play the same course over and over you can end up seeing an artificially low handicap. Doesn't matter if you belong to a private club or not. There are two local golf courses that I used to play on a fairly regular basis and I could definitely score there better than any course I played for the first time.
Driver: TM R7 SuperQuad 9.5*, RE*AX Stiff
3 Wood: TM R7 TP, 13*, Fujikura Stiff

Hybrids: TM Rescue Dual TPs 2, 3, and 4, Mitsubishi Diamana Stiff
Irons: 2-PW TM R7 TP, DG S300Gap Wedge: Callaway X-Tour 52*Lob Wedge: Callway X-Tour 58* PM GrindPutter: Odyssey White Steel #5Ball: Callaway HX-Tour2, 3,...

We have so many REALLY nice public courses around here that I don't particularly miss anything about CC golf. The private clubs that are actually nicer than the public courses are beyond my means, and the ones that are actually affordable to join are little more than cow pastures with some fairways mowed into them.

The one course around here that's private that I WOULD like to play someday is Firestone. I've seen the WSOG there years ago and it's a course to drool over. Other than that, there really aren't many private clubs that blow away the nicer public course around here.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

I am lucky enough to have married into a family that is members of some very nice country clubs. To be honest, I have putted on greens longer than the fairways at one of them. The courses are wonderfully manicured and it only costs me $25 to play with my brother in law. However, I don't play these courses well at all. I literally have to talk myself into playing them. I haven't played them this year but hope to find time after June.

That said, my favorite course is a small country course owned by Sam Carmichael, former IU golf coach, in Martinsville, IN. The back 9 was built in 1925 and is some of the prettiest golf I've played.

I guess my point, if I have one, is be thankful for what you have and maybe make a friend or two...or marry into a family that can get you on the course of your dreams. With some of my business contacts there aren't too many places I can't play if I really want to.

Hi

the popularity of golf is driving down the price of clubs and memberships in my experience..in a few years even the most exclusive clubs might just be in your reach..apart from Augusta-if Tiger can't get on there without invitation who can?

bb69

• Administrator
the popularity of golf is driving down the price of clubs and memberships in my experience..in a few years even the most exclusive clubs might just be in your reach..apart from Augusta-if Tiger can't get on there without invitation who can?

Tiger is a Masters champion. He can play there whenever he'd like.

But, nit-picks aside, you're right. If you go shopping for some bargains, you can find some good deals out there at private clubs.

I'm a member at a semi-private club and I like it because I only golf. Truck drivers don't entertain clients. I don't like food minimums and things like that. I pay every year and if I want to spend money at the course I will. If I don't I won't. It's my choice.

A lot of the private clubs around here are starting to advertise for members. Where 10 years ago there were waiting lists.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

• 3 weeks later...
There are also intangibles besides just the golf. Onsite daycare makes it much easier to get out of the house. Tennis and swimming are big pluses. A decent pro staff and a good instructor that knows your swing are also nice. A lot of clubs are reciprocal with other clubs in the area so you aren't stuck playing the same 18 or 36 all the time. And a card room helps those of us who don't live in casino states.

When I was deciding to join a club, I factored in what I pay for a health club, various tennis leagues, range fees 3 or 4 times a week and greens fees for public courses 60 times a year. Came out just between a lower level CC near me and a pretty nice CC near me. Still trying to decide, but I'll probably lean towards the nicer one as it has 36 holes.
In my bag:
The failed hopes and dreams of 25 years of golf (on DG S300 shafts with Lamkin Crossline midsize grips)

I am lucky to be the kid of members of a nice country club. I really like that I can go and hit as many balls as I want, and not have to worry about running out of money. Also, just the service exceeds anything I have ever received on a Muni or Public course.

Driver:

Wood: Launcher Gold

Irons: Sand Wedge: EyeHome Course

Note: This thread is 5962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!