IGNORED

Annoying Golf Announcers

tjdean

There are announcers and journalists in other sports that I don't like, but I've never muted the telecast on account of them. I don't like any of the announcers on CBS, NBC or TGC. I've worn out the mute audio and mute video because of them. Where is the George Vecsey of golf?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339

I have to disagree.....

If we went back to the golf announcers of the 70's and 80's again, I would turn the channel or fall asleep.  The European Tour has those type of announcers still and it's painful to watch.  Feherty is awesome on the course and actually adds some interest to the game.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. One of my favorite things in the world to do is get up early on a Sunday morning and with my coffee and paper have the Euro Tour on the GC in the background. Its a different style and one I appreciate. Sometimes with the American announcers it's as if a puppy will be harmed if for god forbid they shut up for 5 seconds. Listening to the Euro broadcast I can actually hear the birds and the sound of golf. But that said I don't have a strong opinion about any particular announcer. One exception was and I do not know who it was yesterday kept saying kikuyu over and over. That was getting a little annoying.

Feherty can be funny, but sometimes he tries way too hard to be funny and it doesn't work which can be uncomfortable to listen to or watch.   Miller walks a fine line between being an insightful commentator and a jack a$$, too often he comes off as arrogant.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Feherty can be funny, but sometimes he tries way too hard to be funny and it doesn't work which can be uncomfortable to listen to or watch.   Miller walks a fine line between being an insightful commentator and a jack a$$, too often he comes off as arrogant.

WOW! That is so damn true about Feherty live, especially when his people he's with have to laugh.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

Whatever happened to letting the golf do the talking?

Yes, I understand much has to be explained pre-shot - the distance, conditions, lie, club selection & so on. But after the shot's been hit...STFU!

This is where McCord is especially annoying - "oooh...ahhhh...kick riiiightt...oh nice....verrrry nice...ladies and gentlemen that was a professional golf shot right there..."

STFU!!!!!

Frank Chirkinian used to yell into the announcer's headsets after one would say 'He missed the putt' - he would say 'No shit. This isn't radio. They can see that!'

• Thumbs Up 1

Do The Golf Channel use the Sky Sports feed for their Euro stuff?

Dougie Donnelly wtf?? He has been doing the rounds on UK TV for years, any low interest sport that the BBC had Dougie was your man to front it.

Wayne Reilly is good at the Fehety role, Richard Bloxall is good, Richard Lee an okay anchor.

When covering the PGA David Livingston spends the whole day complaining about the US coverage, too many celebreties, too many ad breaks, 30 min gap between golf channel and main network coverage etc etc etc.

Euan Murray sounds like he is knocking one out when talking about Scotsmen or South Africans. Retief Goosan being his favorite though George Coetzee is getting the treatment now.

Someone needs to tell Faldo he isn't funny and stick to the golf.

Peter Oosthuise is just superb.

I have to say I much prefer the UK coverage of golf than US. As someone mentioned above it's nice to 'hear' golf as well as see it.

With US golf it's basically rambling commentators uttering crap about things nobody cares about or talking about "this one time when this one thing happened x years ago". They also have a habit of advertising stuff ALL the time in random places during the commentary. And then (for a change!) there's a commercial break...

The most we normally get is "Sky Golf coverage. Brought to you by Barclays Premier banking" at the beginning and end of the normal commercial break.

(This message was brought to you by Rolex, Bentley and Starbucks for those times when you forget the time and thing, 'Holy shit I need coffee QUICK' and have to rush to Starbucks in style.)

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

As with most, I can't stand listening to Gary McCord because he can't STFU! I know we complain about too many commercials, but maybe they're doing us a favor by NOT letting us listen to McCord ramble on about something I could care less about.

My favorites would be Feherty because he does have a funny one liner every once in a while. Also, he mostly discusses the shot as it and doesn't need to really include all the BS that comes to mind like McCord does.

As a lead announcer, between Johnny Miller and Nick Faldo, I'd pick Miller.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

I'd listen to TST chat vocalized during the telecast. Just regular folk chewin' the fat. During the majors, the realtime chat is pretty interesting. Way better than any of the "professionals".

I have a feeling in the future, people will have this choice and there will be a non trivial number of people who opt for this option.

Sack everyone though. Sack McCord. Sack Feherty. Sack Faldo, Kostis, Koch, Miller, O'Reilly, Rosaforte, etc... They all stink.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I don't have anything against Faldo, but I'd prefer to listen to Johnny Miller.

Originally Posted by pjwalsh606

I dont like McCord either but i like Feherty and i like Jim Nance, actually faldo is not bad. Anybody disagree with faldo?

Best Regards,
Ryan

:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

I had not seen his show yet i was waiting for Hank haney's show to come back on has that started yet? Haney gave an intrested inteveiw on SVP last week after he won at Pebble did anyone else hear it about some of the mind games that Tiger tries to play??

Originally Posted by pjwalsh606

Everytime i think of Johnny Miller i think back to Tin Cup the scene with him on the driving range, haha ! Miller sometime annoys me but can't deny he really knows what he is talking about!

The issue I have with Miller certainly isn't his knowledge. No doubt he knows this game inside & out. But he is a born pessimist & always seems to say things in the most negative way possible. Case in point - saying Craig Parry's swing 'would make Ben Hogan puke. So okay...Parry comes over the top, which goes against what Hogan espoused. But Miller could have couched that in any of about a hundred ways that didn't sound so damn harsh. Jack Nicklaus took Miller to task on that, basically telling him there's no reason to be so damn inflammatory with his comments. So okay, you don't like Parry's swing...but saying it would make Hogan puke? WTF?

..and right in the middle of the comment Parry stiffs the shot.

It was pretty harsh, but I think Miller's dialed it down since then. I think he's been given warnings by the network a few times already...

Originally Posted by zipazoid

The issue I have with Miller certainly isn't his knowledge. No doubt he knows this game inside & out. But he is a born pessimist & always seems to say things in the most negative way possible. Case in point - saying Craig Parry's swing 'would make Ben Hogan puke. So okay...Parry comes over the top, which goes against what Hogan espoused. But Miller could have couched that in any of about a hundred ways that didn't sound so damn harsh. Jack Nicklaus took Miller to task on that, basically telling him there's no reason to be so damn inflammatory with his comments. So okay, you don't like Parry's swing...but saying it would make Hogan puke? WTF?

Best Regards,
Ryan

Haha i had forgotten how harsh miller can be nice you tube video, i have not heard him do that in awhile but there are some down right awful swings out there i am sure miller would have a few choice words about if he is watching them on TV.