IGNORED

Are the shanks real?

Tiger90
Note: This thread is 3221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know people shank the ball all the time.  However i just wanted to know if this ever is a consistant problem.

In Tin Cup, Kevin Costner gets the shanks right before the US Open, and he cannot get rid of them.

So i guess what im asking is, do people really get that bad a case of the shanks, where no matter what all they do is shank?

Has anybody every got a case of this? I know everybody has shanked the ball, but has it ever been a big problem where you cannot get rid of them?

Im just curious if what happened in Tin Cup has actually happened to one of you or someone you know...

Tiger90

They're very real.

The thing about shanks is it is a real score killing shot, plus puts people on the right side in play, so it's dangerous as well. Plus more lost balls.

I got mine from trying to do years of bad golf lessons, trying to get my low point of the swing much farther forward, but threw out the right side in the process. Took me awhile to understand it.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I actually went through this.  I had them this past fall. Could hit my woods just fine and long irons ok. But any shorter iron i'd shank it to the right. I got rid of them by linin up about 20 balls in a row at the range. Taking a 7 iron and just hittin them as fast as i could. Started with a half shot workin up to a full. That was one of the most frustrating things i've ever gone through.

Drivers: Titleist 913 D2 Aldila phenom
Fairway Woods: Titleist 910F-d
Fairway Woods: Titleist 909 F3 or

Hybrid: Taylormade tp 18 or Mp fli hi 2 iron 
Irons: Mizuno MP-52 3-pw
Wedges: TaylorMade RAC Z TP
Putters: Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #2
Golf Bags: Titleist Blue cart bag

Shoes: Footjoy Dry joys

Golf Balls: Titleist Pro v1x

Had them last season. I had just got my current clubs, so took them to the range and was shanking them....maybe they;re longer or something....I didn't understand really.

I felt like an idiot with these shiny new clubs and shanking the ball every time.

Got rid of them in about half an hour though and haven't shanked one since.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

The shanks are like having chronic slicing problems. They're both caused by a swing fault, shanks are just more graphic and embarrassing. Think of it this way, people go years without putting drawspin on a golf ball, but even the worst shanks are usually sorted out in a few days.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Haney seemed to have a good drill to help cure the shanks when he was coaching Rush.  He made Rush practice with the the ball placed between two tee's.

Joe Paradiso

I think it happens to everyone at some point. For different reasons, the clubhead kicks outward near impact, and it's hosel city. A lot of time it's caused by a bad swing path, like if it's too flat for example.

I've had this happen, was usually holding onto lag through the ball & not releasing the club; or standing up a bit early.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

Yes. They are a very real and dangerous thing. I've never suffered (and I know that I am tempting fate with that) but my father would get them from time to time. That meant very unpleasant times around the old homestead. Mainly it meant that I had to stand in the practice range with my baseball mitt and shag balls for him. His golf did get better and I became a heck of an outfielder!

I can't believe we are talking about "the thing no golfer speaks of", I just got chills...

• Upvote 1
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

As someone who has hit many shanks, there are all different kinds. Some go low, some high. Some can go very, very right. At least with a slice, you know it's pretty much in play. With a shank, at least when I hit them, kiss ball goodbye, add at least 3 to your hole score, usually.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 3 months later...

I am relatively new to golf, but have been practicing a lot and playing several times per week.  I have been through spells where I will hit the ball fat or thin, but it is typically on a straight line.  The last round I played at my club, which was about ten days ago, something clicked and I started hitting the ball very solid and carded my lowest score ever (41 on the back 9).  By miracle, I played the last two holes at (-3) after a 100yd hole-out on Par 4 #17 for an Eagle and three ideal shots and a one-putt on Par 5 #18.

With that preface; I was away from the course and range for about a week due to rain and other commitments.  During that week things were off with me.  I had been fighting with the wife, didn't get the job I was hoping for, etc. etc.  Anyway, two days ago I hit the range and start my routine, chipping to 1/2 to 3/4 to full swing.  But before I could even get to 3/4, the ball started dribbling 80 degrees left (I am a lefty).  Over and over and over and over, must have been 130 balls, all at half swing, all with the same result.  I worked blisters into my hands (which I am sure is a bad grip, but the pace at which i was going at it and the amount of balls I hit...).  A couple of times I was actually able to get the ball in the air, straight ahead, but as soon as I thought I had it under control, dribble to the left all over again.  I even came home, away from the club, got in my back yard and began to try to chip, not happening.

The S's (esses) are real and I firmly believe they are mental , much like they are depicted in Tin Cup.  My head wasn't right when I went out there the last time and they found me.  Now, they are all I can think about when I grab a club, creating a viscous cycle of unending negatives surrounding my game.  I did the Haney thing too, with the tees, but without the ball.  I was able to carve out a path of grass directly between the tees, taking dozens of swings.  But once the ball was placed in between them, I was hitting chili dippers again.  I may truly be a lost soul.

Very real, and I get them at the range every now and then. Doesn't usually last *too* long for me, but it's frustrating beyond comprehension. I've never experienced a case of the shanks on the course, except for my first time maybe. They really are an odd hitch in your giddyup, and can pop up out of seemingly no where. I've been feeling real well with my swing only to shank the next 10. Best thing to do, from my experience, step away from the ball, take a few practice swings and focus on your path and your low point on the turf, then take the next few shots slow and low. But even then, your mind is going to start playing tricks on you, and anything will be more difficult than usual.

Oh they're real all right. I was playing a round a few months back & I was 2 under thru 7 holes, obviously swinging well. On the 8th tee, a par-3 I shanked it. Was a total shock because, as I said, I was swinging well. Talk about implanting a negative thought! I found the ball Fortunately had a shot. I hit it on the green & salvaged bogey. Parred 9 for one under.

Anyway, they seem to come in bunches with me - if I do it once I do it again, usually on the next shot.

Seems to me that it has to come from the head moving towards the ball, sort of 'lunging' into the shot, or from having your weight on your toes thru impact. So when they come I just concentrate on keeping my head still & they go away.

Originally Posted by Romeo

My head wasn't right when I went out there the last time and they found me.  Now, they are all I can think about when I grab a club, creating a viscous cycle of unending negatives surrounding my game.  I did the Haney thing too, with the tees, but without the ball.  I was able to carve out a path of grass directly between the tees, taking dozens of swings.  But once the ball was placed in between them, I was hitting chili dippers again.  I may truly be a lost soul.

when i get them, initially, it's the end result of a poor effort with my swing (usually bad tempo).  then, i'll get so frustrated/pissed that the negative thoughts spread like wildfire.  i notice when i'm struggling with them, i often catch myself decelerating through impact because mentally, i'm afraid of hitting it off the heel, or much worse.  a method i use (while at the range) when this happens is to tee it up high, and swing as fast and as loose as possible with my driver.  i'll repeat as many times as necessary.  the couple of times i struggled with them, this has helped a lot.

Note: This thread is 3221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!