IGNORED

Time to upgrade?

Note: This thread is 4434 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Getting back into the game after an injury which left me out for a few years. Have been playing on and off for the last 20+ years since I was younger. I enjoy the game a lot more now and I am trying to play at least once every week or other week. I recently replaced my driver since it was snapped in half in an auto accident with a callaway diablo edge and picked up a taylor made super fast 2.0 3. My irons survived since they were in the car as well but I am thinking they may be due to an upgrade. I bought them used maybe less than 10 years ago not sure. They are the king cobra ss-i steel irons 3-pw and sw. Are these outdated? Am i better off trying new clubs? I am comfortable with them but if technology is better and can gain a few extra yards i dont mind shelling out a few bucks to upgrade. I also take some lessons every few weeks with a pro but haven't asked him about upgrading. Thanks for any advice.

Warning!  The marketing departments have taken over.

In the last few years just about every company has decreased the lofts and lengthened the shafts for "longer" ball flight.

A new 7 iron carries like an old 6 iron because that's what it really is. So compare distances of a new 7 iron with your 6.

The PW is now an old  9 iron and we need "gap" wedges to fill the hole. A lot of people can't hit their 3 iron because it has the loft of an old 1 iron.

Everybody's 2012 model hit the ball 10% further then last years - which went 10% further then the year before.

The good news is that balls have improved. (but, not as much as the claims suggest)

PS: They messed with the lies also. I can't hit a modern club until it's bent to much older specs.

"Quick Dorthy....the oil can!"

I'm in the same boat as you; I have 15 yr old Titleist DCI 981, and they work fine.  But it's not the new technology that excites me the most, but the fact that they will be custom fitted for me.  That's what's got me pulling the trigger.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Almighty broke you driver in half in a car accident. What message from above do you need? Must all your clubs be broken before you take it as sign that it is time for an upgrade? You need a lighting bolt? A burning bush?  I'm no David, but I'd say you were given one of two messages: 1. quit golf, or 2. get new clubs. But seriously...

A lot has changed in 20 years. For one, it easier to get an excellent fitting these days. For two, there are irons that are better at doing what you need done (get the ball up, help mishits, allow for working the ball, keep most balls straighter...) And, for most us, we have changed a lot in 20 years -- you know, wiser.

Go shopping and enjoy the journey toward some new sticks. Hit different styles with a launch monitor. Try light metal shafts. Try super game improvements. Try integrated hybrid sets. Consider graphite shafts. Replace your 3 and 4 iron with hybrids.

BTW, good for your pro not trying to push clubs. That makes him a good place to start getting honest advise.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by The Tin Man

Warning!  The marketing departments have taken over.

In the last few years just about every company has decreased the lofts and lengthened the shafts for "longer" ball flight.

A new 7 iron carries like an old 6 iron because that's what it really is. So compare distances of a new 7 iron with your 6.

The PW is now an old  9 iron and we need "gap" wedges to fill the hole. A lot of people can't hit their 3 iron because it has the loft of an old 1 iron.

Everybody's 2012 model hit the ball 10% further then last years - which went 10% further then the year before.

The good news is that balls have improved. (but, not as much as the claims suggest)

PS: They messed with the lies also. I can't hit a modern club until it's bent to much older specs.

I'm well aware of the loft strengthening but how are the lie angles any different. Is a Ping eye2 black dot lie angle different from a Ping G15 black dot lie angle?

David

Note: This thread is 4434 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!