IGNORED

Good Golf Posture (How to Address the Golf Ball)

mvmac

Originally Posted by golfballs01

I hit balls for 15 hours sometimes aggressively

15 hours is this a day or a week.

I am glad to see this I have a spinal fusion at T-6 and 7 So my back is rounded. That being said I was leaning over way to much trying to get to the new athletic posture has gotten me much closer to Palmer.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike - what about golf posture at the finish of the swing?  Legs, hips, back, arms, hands, club shaft?

For instance, in the SnT book... There is mention that the club shaft should re-appear at the left bicep from the DTL angle - for an optimal finish.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Mike - what about golf posture at the finish of the swing?  Legs, hips, back, arms, hands, club shaft?

For instance, in the SnT book... There is mention that the club shaft should re-appear at the left bicep from the DTL angle - for an optimal finish.

IMO, hips have come out of flexion, no space between the thighs, entire left foot is planted, right heel released off the ground, right shoulder is lower than the left, head tilted to the right, arms exiting just below left shoulder for draw pattern.

But understand this is getting into little details, some of these pieces can be important (hand exit and extension) while others aren't high on the priority list nor do they have to happen to hit good golf shots.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Great article.  I have been using this posture the last 2 years.  My lower back is finally pain free.  I now teach this posture to all of my students.  Perfectly presented.

• 2 weeks later...

as for the arms....im 6'2 with really long arms......if i let my arms hand down, the tips of my fingers are at the top of my knees........should i be more upright????

i guess what im trying to say is can this be over exagerated?????

Originally Posted by outlaw1984

as for the arms....im 6'2 with really long arms......if i let my arms hand down, the tips of my fingers are at the top of my knees........should i be more upright????

i guess what im trying to say is can this be over exagerated?????

Get short clubs.  Don't let the club tell you how to stand.  You will be a much better ballstriker with a more bent over swing and short clubs than a more upright swing and long clubs, especially for taller guys.  At worst I would guess -1" on your measurements.  Even if it's -2", that still isn't that much speed lost compared to the benefits and contact quality.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I was thinking of going the other way, i.e. to a more upright swing - as my instructor suggested once. But it does feel more restricted when I try doing that. Looking at some recent video, my shoulders seem too hunched over. But if I pull them back my arms don't feel like they're hanging down comfortably and my sight picture is too high. Of course you make a basic change in posture and it isn't going to feel normal or comfortable, for a while at least.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Chas

I was thinking of going the other way, i.e. to a more upright swing - as my instructor suggested once. But it does feel more restricted when I try doing that.

Looking at some recent video, my shoulders seem too hunched over. But if I pull them back my arms don't feel like they're hanging down comfortably and my sight picture is too high. Of course you make a basic change in posture and it isn't going to feel normal or comfortable, for a while at least.

Would strongly recommend NOT pulling the shoulders back at address.  Arms don't feel like they are hanging because it's easier for them to hang when your back is rounded, thoracic in flexion.  Makes absolutely no sense in a golf swing to look like old Adam Scott set-up.  Hunched is optimal for a golf set-up imo.  Never seen any good player that has an upright, straight back, at impact, so why would you force a compensation on yourself?

Mike McLoughlin

Caution received loud and clear.

4-hybrid:

By hunched do you mean like this?  This is how I feel on the 18th after walking in 90 degree heat.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yep that's model

Originally Posted by Chas

Caution received loud and clear.

Can you tell I'm passionate about this piece?

Mike McLoughlin

I didn't see anyone taking photos in the clubhouse after I finished my last round (44 on back 9). Are you a paparazzi?

4-hybrid:

OK so maybe it wasn't such a good idea when I started sticking the rear end out (towards my six) a while ago. Maybe this has been restricting my rotation, which is definitely an issue with me. I'll try keeping the lower back neutral, which will lower my view picture a bit (a good thing) while at the same time reducing the Quazimodo position. But again, some upper back curvature is also good for the view picture.

4-hybrid:

Originally Posted by Chas

OK so maybe it wasn't such a good idea when I started sticking the rear end out (towards my six) a while ago. Maybe this has been restricting my rotation, which is definitely an issue with me. I'll try keeping the lower back neutral, which will lower my view picture a bit (a good thing) while at the same time reducing the Quazimodo position. But again, some upper back curvature is also good for the view picture.

Yes lower back looks neutral and upper back is more curved.  We even describe the feel as being "soft" with the upper spine.  Like you said, easier to see the ball.  Liam just posted a video he did and I'll share a pic of his address dtl

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 months later...
Wonder who I've been getting my information from before I came to thesandtrap. According To this thread I'm going about all the wrong way. Back to the drawing board. My swing looks like an Adam Scott flat back. I have the worst back from skate boarding/snowboarding for many years. Always trying to protect it. Don't suffer any pain lately.

Taylormade tour burner irons

Tour burner driver 10.5

Taylormade RBZ 3 wood 15

Ray Cook M1x putter

Ray Cook 56 wedge

Bridgestone e6 golfball

footjoy Glove

Ah With further study I'm not so off on posture. You had me thinking/ rechecking on this.

Taylormade tour burner irons

Tour burner driver 10.5

Taylormade RBZ 3 wood 15

Ray Cook M1x putter

Ray Cook 56 wedge

Bridgestone e6 golfball

footjoy Glove