IGNORED

Rory McIlroy the new face of golf?

jshots
Note: This thread is 4375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I heard this question today and wondered what all of you might say about it. Is Rory McIlroy becoming the new face of golf?

My reaction to the question was, are you talking about the same guy that is skipping a MAJOR in which he is defending champion so that he can play in his home country. Then again I guess that could be the sort of thing that might make people love him all the more.

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rory is officially the #1 Golfer in the World. I think it is a fair question.  But until he wins a Masters, I don't think he is 'officially' the face of golf.

JMHO.

I think the press falls all over themselves to try and annoint the next Tiger. Is Rory the new face of golf? I don't know. Is Keegan Bradley? Is Dustin Johnson? Ryo Ishikawa? I think the outlook for golf is great for the next 15 to 20 years so why do we need this rush to annoint the next great one? I think Rory is great but he will never be Tiger. I am glad that he is a huge part of what makes me excited about pro golf for the next several years though.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

Originally Posted by jshots

I heard this question today and wondered what all of you might say about it. Is Rory McIlroy becoming the new face of golf?

My reaction to the question was, are you talking about the same guy that is skipping a MAJOR in which he is defending champion so that he can play in his home country. Then again I guess that could be the sort of thing that might make people love him all the more.

Originally Posted by Bo the Golfer

I think the press falls all over themselves to try and annoint the next Tiger. Is Rory the new face of golf? I don't know. Is Keegan Bradley? Is Dustin Johnson? Ryo Ishikawa? I think the outlook for golf is great for the next 15 to 20 years so why do we need this rush to annoint the next great one? I think Rory is great but he will never be Tiger. I am glad that he is a huge part of what makes me excited about pro golf for the next several years though.

The correct answer to the OP's question is of course, yes Rory McIlroy is the new face of golf. It's been projected for a few years and he's met all the criteria used to justfy why Luke Donald wasn't the true #1 golfer. Unlike Luke, Rory hasn't come close to his potential. This isn't about Tiger Woods. It's about the future of golf. Of course Tiger will have a place and might even flirt with #1 again, but when a publication like Golf Magazine creates a Player of the Year trophy just for him, I'd say he's arrived.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

What on earth are you talking about?

Originally Posted by brocks

What on earth are you talking about?

I believe jshots is confusing Rory skipping out and not playing Congressional again this year in 2012, as it hosted the 2011 US Open, by playing at the Irish Open which will be held on the same weekend?

Rory isn't skipping the 2012 US Open... He will be defending his title, which is held June 14th - 17th at Olympic Club.... But he is passing up playing Congressional on June 28th to July 1st - to play in the Irish Open.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/golf/134752523.html

I remember when this was first reported... The media made it sound like he was going to skip the US Open... But that wasn't the case.  Just confusing the way it was originally reported.

Quote:

Just confusing the way it was originally reported.

You spin the story you have, not the one you wish you had.

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

I don't think he's the new face of golf just yet. I think he could be someday but as long as Tiger's still golfing I think he's gonna be the big name. Whether you like him or not he's the most known golfer on the tour. Look at the crowds at the Honda Classic. Most of that was due to the fact that Tiger was in the field this year. Rory has a lot to accomplish yet to be as well known as Tiger.

DRIVER | Titleist 913D 10.5* 

WOODS | Titleist 913F.d 15* 

HYBRID | Titleist 913H 19* :titleist:

IRONS | Titleist 714 AP1 4-P :titleist:

WEDGES | Titleist Vokey 48*, 52*,56* 

PUTTER | Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 

BALL | Titleist Pro V1x  

I think it's fair to say that Rory is the new face of golf. He's young, unbelievably talented, and he has the ability to maintian his level of play with all the extra scrutiny. Go Rory.

Driver: Cleveland Launcher DST

Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie 3H

Irons: Cleveland Launcher

Wedges: Cleveland cg 15 46, 52, 56, 60

Putter: Odyssey tour black

Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

I think there are three people you could legitimately argue are the faces of golf: Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, and Phil Mickelson. Though Rory has played the best over the last two years, he still doesn't move the needle like Tiger and Phil, but he's closer (and rising faster) than anyone else.
  • Upvote 3

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I really hope Rory becomes the face of golf . Right now... to most people... Tiger is still the face of golf.  That being said, I think golf could use a golfer with Rory's manners and personality as it's "face", instead of Tiger Woods. Woods isn't exactly a model citizen, and many people in the press can't stand his attitude.

I don't think he's the new face of golf.

Hate it or like it....when people think of golf - they think of Woods.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by jamo

I think there are three people you could legitimately argue are the faces of golf: Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, and Phil Mickelson. Though Rory has played the best over the last two years, he still doesn't move the needle like Tiger and Phil, but he's closer (and rising faster) than anyone else.

Yeah, I think that's closer to the truth. If any one of those 3 guys is playing, I'm watching. They're all extremely talented. Pure shotmakers with an extra gear when motivated. Too bad Phil spent a good chunk of his prime seeming to be unmotiviated (health?) or making poor shot choices at key moments. In that regard we've seen more similarities between Phil and Rory up to now - clutch finish while missing every green in sight yesterday though. Very Mickelsonesque. Really looking forward to the rest of 2012!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by ovechkingreat8

I really hope Rory becomes the face of golf . Right now... to most people... Tiger is still the face of golf.  That being said, I think golf could use a golfer with Rory's manners and personality as it's "face", instead of Tiger Woods. Woods isn't exactly a model citizen, and many people in the press can't stand his attitude.

That's OK, many fans can't stand the press.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Quote:

I think there are three people you could legitimately argue are the faces of golf: Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, and Phil Mickelson. ...

In the 1990s, Tiger came forward as the prototype of the 21st Century golfer: train like an athlete, develop all phases of the game, and play fearlessly when you're hot... maximize the ability to customize your equipment.

When Tiger had his knee and marriage problems starting in 2008, a bunch of younger Tiger-type players were coming on the scene who could fill the vacuum. Lots of 20-somethings adopted the Tiger business model and turned the tour on its ear. McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, Bubba Watson...

Plus, you've got several 40-something tour veterans - Mickelson, Furyck, Stricker, Choi, Westwood - who can jump up and win one.

So, expect to have faces of golf. The TV networks hate this, because PGA broadcasts draw more casual viewers when a big star is in the lead. In weeks when an unheralded newbie, or a resurgent 40-something is in the lead, you have to understand the game to figure out the drama. The faces of golf, however, is great for people who love the game.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I think the Honda win makes him the new face of golf.

Think about this for a sec - when Tiger posted that 62, Rory immediately responded by birdieing the 13th hole to take a 2-shot lead then gutted out pars down the stretch to maintain that two-shot advantage. Every time he would hit a loose approach shot (right rough on 14, back bunker in 15), he would make a tidy up & down. In fact that bunker shot on 15, with the water staring him in the face should he thin it, was a thing of beauty.

Point being, he took the former #1's best Sunday effort and gave a clinic on how to close out a tournament.

He's the real deal and the deserving #1 in the world. If that doesn't make him the new face of golf tell me what does.

Originally Posted by Dylanl

I don't think he's the new face of golf just yet. I think he could be someday but as long as Tiger's still golfing I think he's gonna be the big name. Whether you like him or not he's the most known golfer on the tour. Look at the crowds at the Honda Classic. Most of that was due to the fact that Tiger was in the field this year. Rory has a lot to accomplish yet to be as well known as Tiger.

I agree. In my opinion, to truly be "the face of golf" people outside of the world of golf have to know who you are.The face of golf is an ambassador to the Non-Golfer world and is easily recognizable. When people who don't care about golf can see a picture of Rory and identify him as "that pro golfer guy" then you could say he is the face of golf. Right now, due to the good and bad, Tiger IS the face of golf.

In my  C 130 Bag:  G20 |  Burner 5W | A7 3H

JPX-800 PRO 4-GW |  SM4 56-8 |  SS Newport 2.5 Heavy

I'm fine with Rory as the new face of golf, though I don't think he's going to take the reigns as "the face" of golf from Tiger just yet.  I also think the PGA brass would like to see Fowler in the mix more as the new face.  Fowlers clothing style and X-Games hobbies are better geared towards the youth market which they are trying to attract to the sport.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!