IGNORED

Love or Hate Him: Phil Inspires Me

Dminn23
Note: This thread is 6177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There was a lengthy article that involved an interview with Mickelson on Golf online earlier this year. It really made me think about the way Phil Mickelson plays and with the exception of the 72nd hole this week, he lived up to that this weekend. Face it, the guy has balls, you HAVE to give him credit for that. He's a risk taker, the modern day Tin Cup (which is funny because he was in the movie for a brief moment during the best ball tourney). He sees a gap in some trees when hes in a fairway bunker, and nails it right through. He doesn't see the trouble thats surrounding, he only sees the space in the middle of those trees, visualizing how he's going to hit it right though to save par or do better.

Everyone is always bringing up, "are you a Tiger or Phil guy?" My answer is, I'm a golf guy, I like em' both, a lot, as well as a lot of other players. I love watching Phil when he's in contention, it inspires me to make it over the tree tops at special moments when i'm out on the course, even if I am playing like crap. Like the article said, many think that the risks he takes are stupid and he would be better off not taking them, but I love the guy for it.

905R 9.5˚ - UST Proforce V2
904F 15˚ - YS-6
695cb 3-PW Dynamic Gold S300
Vokey SM54.14 and SM60.08
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro V1x / Pro V1Cyberbilt

• Administrator
I just typed something similar to this in another thread: I don't like Phil for the "phony" reasons, but the way he played this week was impressive. I do wish Sean had given him a run today, but I enjoyed watching him play this week.

He got some lucky breaks (the ball fell out of a bush to even let him try that shot through the gap in the trees), but he made the most of them, just like winners are supposed to do in any sport. He played incredibly solid from the tee, putted pretty well, and all that. Aside from a few weird little mental blips (like his approach at the 72nd!), he even seemed to be thinking more clearly than normal.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As far as Phil goes, I don't love him or hate him. If Tiger and Phil are battling for the win I'll be pulling for Phil. Gotta go with the underdog!

As far as inspiration I guess I'm showing my age but the last three guy's that I drew inspiration from on the golf course were Greg Norman, Fred Couples, and Nick Faldo. I always strived to swing my Driver with the same sweet tempo of Fred Couples, I still use Freddie's tempo as a swing thought before I swing the driver. In the early 90's I studied Nick Faldo's swing and used him as the model to shape my own swing. I never tried to swing like Greg Norman, but I always thought he played with a lot of focus, much like my favorite player of all time Jack Nicklaus. Both Nicklaus and Norman had eyes of steel when they were in the zone!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I'm not really a Phil guy or a Tiger guy. I usually root for the underdogs but love to watch great golf. I was impressed with the way Phil played this week. Sure he got some breaks but that's all part of the game. It's taking advantage of those breaks that matters and his short game was very good. Then when he needed it, he striped just about every fairway on Sunday. Impressive. Still, he's like a modern day Greg Norman. Even with a 3 shot lead you still stay tuned for what might happen and it nearly did with his second shot on 18. Probably still would have won but the fact that ball was over there in the first place is funny.

I do like Phil (again, not a "Phil guy") but also see all of the "phony" attributes. The smile, the thumbs up, the high fives, the 'I don't want to talk about me, I want to talk about all the mothers out there' imagine. Some of that is phony but I do believe some of it is genuine as well. It's nice to see a player interact with the crowd the way he does. And the risk taking (that shot between the trees where he wouldn't even tell Bones about) just makes the fans relate to him even more. He's fun to watch and certainly deserved this one. He looked in total control out there. US Open this year should be really fun to watch.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

We should have more "phony" guys like Phil. How many player sdo you ever see smiling out there and interacting with the fans any longer? You just don't. The thing is, he comes across as genuine to so many people which is why he is such a fan favorite.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

We should have more "phony" guys like Phil. How many player sdo you ever see smiling out there and interacting with the fans any longer? You just don't. The thing is, he comes across as genuine to so many people which is why he is such a fan favorite.

You're right and it is nice to see a player, especially of that caliber, interacting with the fans the way he does. Of course that's why he's such a fan fav. It is refreshing but I'm not so sure all that is completely genuine. Sometimes I think it's an act and personally there are times I'd rather see a player ignore everyone like Tiger does than pretend to like the fans.

He and Tiger are my favorites.

Golf must be boring for you to watch

I'm not really a Phil guy or a Tiger guy. I usually root for the underdogs but love to watch great golf. I was impressed with the way Phil played this week. Sure he got some breaks but that's all part of the game. It's taking advantage of those breaks that matters and his short game was

I've always been a fan of Phil. He hits amazing shots, probably right next to Tiger in the recovery shot category. He has imagination and skill to back it up. Most guys arent even looking at that 6 foot window. Which was the most incredible shot of the tournament. I'll take that shot over all the hole outs anyday.. why? because he was aiming for that spot and hit it exactly how he pictured. Of course your aiming at the pin but anyone who's made a hole in one knows they got lucky.

People assume he's phony because of the smile and just in general go out of your way to be nice attitude. Its just a nice gesture for him to make Sean feel comfortable playing in the final group. I see it as thats just him. He's a happy guy.. sh*t id be happy too if I was married to Tina Mickelson, had 3 healthy children, a fortune and 30 + victories on tour. I just dont see Phil as the kind of guy who puts on this big act when he's in public and then in his personal life he's a completely different person. I cant see Phil flipping off some guy who didnt signal when he turned left, can you? and he is making better decisions, that + Butch = more wins.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

I do not like Phil and I cannot tell you exactly why??? There is just something about him that does not sit right with me. However, I will admit that he is a great golfer. The stats do not lie. But I will always pull for anyone to beat him in any tournament.

Personally I am an Ernie Els fan. I am waiting for the "Big Easy" to break out this year. I think what he needs to do is go back to putting with a Sotty Cameron regradless of what Callaway wants. Also his swing is the sweetest ever and that cannot be argued!

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

People assume he's phony because of the smile and just in general go out of your way to be nice attitude. Its just a nice gesture for him to make Sean feel comfortable playing in the final group. I see it as thats just him. He's a happy guy.. sh*t id be happy too if I was married to Tina Mickelson, had 3 healthy children, a fortune and 30 + victories on tour. I just dont see Phil as the kind of guy who puts on this big act when he's in public and then in his personal life he's a completely different person. I cant see Phil flipping off some guy who didnt signal when he turned left, can you?

Who knows. You very well may be right. He certainly does have a good life

Since I do not know him as a person I can only give a fans perspective. I certainly do not think he transforms into a complete ass when he gets off the course. Generally I do think he's a good guy. All that stuff on the course just seems a bit much at times to me. I guess the unfortunate part is most professional star athletes are not nearly as interactive with the fans, and do not present themselves in such a "happy" way. So when I do see a big time athlete acting that way I can't help but think some of it is an act. Of course this is golf and comparing those athletes to some other major sports is comparing apples to oranges. On a talent level I really do believe he's pretty close to Tiger. I hope he keeps playing well, it would be fun for us golf fans.

Phil is a great golfer and an even better human being. There are always folks that will not like a professional athlete for reasons unknown to even themselves. Pretty sad but we all do it.

But on another note... Did Phil get back together with Ford? I see on his website they changed all of the banner pictures with one that has the Ford logo on his shirt again.. In his site's forum, allot of folks were griping about him representing Exxon-Mobil and leaving Ford..

Mike

R5 Dual 9.5
F50 16.5
R7 TP 3-PW
RAC Satin 52 and 56 deg
Vokey 59 deg Studio Newport 2 HX Tour 56

About, a month or two ago, I really didn't like him. But, I've decided there's no real reason NOT to like the guy. He's done a lot for golf, and he's a good guy and plays the game the right way...

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I just have to add something. For those of you who insist he is a great guy or a great human being, I'd be willing to bet you don't even know the guy. So you're making judgments based on what you see on TV or what the media says. Now I'm certainly not saying he's a bad guy or isn't even a great guy but assuming he's the same happy go lucky guy off of camera I think is a bit naive.

I just have to add something. For those of you who insist he is a great guy or a great human being, I'd be willing to bet you don't even know the guy. So you're making judgments based on what you see on TV or what the media says. Now I'm certainly not saying he's a bad guy or isn't even a great guy but assuming he's the same happy go lucky guy off of camera I think is a bit naive.

Ok, but we have to make an inference that he is a good guy off camera as well, since we don't know...

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

I just have to add something. For those of you who insist he is a great guy or a great human being,

Uh.. I played JG in San Diego for several years with Phil,I went to high-school with him and have had regular contact with him throughout the years. So I can honestly say... Yes he is a great guy.

PS.. What was the bet?

R5 Dual 9.5
F50 16.5
R7 TP 3-PW
RAC Satin 52 and 56 deg

Uh.. I went to high-school with him and have had regular contact with him throughout the years. So.... Yes he is a great guy.

LMAO!!!! OWNAGE!!!

Do you get to play with him ever?

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

I am trying to get something together for the week before the PGA in Tulsa this year, but that is one busy guy. We'll see..

Mike

R5 Dual 9.5
F50 16.5
R7 TP 3-PW
RAC Satin 52 and 56 deg

Note: This thread is 6177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!