IGNORED

The 2012 Masters Discussion Thread

xxsoultonesxx
Note:Β This thread is 4369 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

So the spring is nearly upon us once again, and it's gearing up to be a pretty exciting Masters this year.

With Rory holding down the #1 spot, and given what happened last year and his current solid play, I would have to say he's the favorite.

But then you've got guys like Phil, Mahan, Stanley, and most recently Justin Rose all coming in to form (or in Phil's case, a rollercoaster of highs and lows). Then you've got the question mark that is Tiger, who despite his WD from Doral, is having a pretty solid season thus far.

I'm not sure anyone would have guessed Schwartzel to win it last year, yet he did, and in pretty dramatic fashion, which also leads me to the idea that this is anyone's green jacket.

I'm sure there are a dozen+ more names worth bringing in to the picture here, so what are TST's wise and knowledgable patrons predicting for Augusta this year?

Here's my best prediction as of late:

Winner: Rory Mcilroy

Runner up: Keegan Bradley

Scrappy contenders: Kyle Stanley/Jason Day

Dark Horse: Nick Watney

Just guessing here (and hoping):

Winner: Phil

Runner up: Rory

Contenders: Kuchar, Donald, Bradley

Dark Horse: ???

Driver: Cleveland Launcher DST

Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie 3H

Irons: Cleveland Launcher

Wedges: Cleveland cg 15 46, 52, 56, 60

Putter: Odyssey tour black

Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

With how this season's been, there's at least 30 names that could easily win. That being said....

Winner:Β Tiger Woods

Runner Up: Webb Simpson

Contenders: Lee Westwood, Rory McIlroy, Phil Mickelson

Dark Horse: Kyle Stanley

And shall we make it interesting with another category?

Notable to Miss the Cut: Martin Kaymer

l Bag lΒ TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver lΒ TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5*Β l 3-Wood lΒ Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids lΒ TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons lΒ TaylorMade r7 5-PWΒ l Wedges lΒ Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter lΒ Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"Β l Balls lΒ TaylorMade Penta TP

Originally Posted by iPutt

And shall we make it interesting with another category?

Notable to Miss the Cut: Martin Kaymer

Yes, why not?

Missed Cut: Β Westwood

Adam Scott might throw his hat in the ring I reckon. Saturday was ugly for him on the last few holes but he ranged from exceptional to solid for the balance of the Cadillac.

He'll be hungry too!

Rory has to go in as favourite for mine

Adam Scott might throw his hat in the ring I reckon. Saturday was ugly for him on the last few holes but he ranged from exceptional to solid for the balance of the Cadillac. He'll be hungry too! Rory has to go in as favourite for mine

Yup. Scott played well last year too.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rory is my favorite, hands down.Β  He comes back big after a disappointment.

Threw away the Masters last year, blasted the field at the US Open.Β  Threw away #1 OWGR at the Match Play, then got it the next week with a convincing win at the Honda.

He'll be looking to avenge his collapse at Augusta last year.Β  And he will.Β  Rory by six.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Winner: Luuuuuuuuke

Contenders: The usual: Rory, Tiger (if healthy), Phil, Westwood

Dark horse: Kaymer (I guess he qualifies for this category as he missed the last four cuts here)

It's an even-numbered year. Phil wins his 4th jacket (2004, 2006, 2010).

As far as a Dark Horse, if you can call the defending champ that, how about Charl Schwartzel? He played well at Doral.

I'd have to put Tiger, Phil and Rory at the top of the list right now. Scott has potential depending on his putting. Dustin Johnson is in the mix.

Rory, Luke, Charl, Westie.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• 2 weeks later...
Tiger vs. Rory playoff. You heard it here first.

Right, I think you're the first person to notice that they are the two best players in the world. And I'll go out on a limb and say that won't last long. By mid-summer, the golf world will be back to normal --- it will be Tiger and everybody else. Rory won't be the Tom Watson of the next ten years, he'll be the Phil Mickelson of the next ten years.

Originally Posted by brocks

Right, I think you're the first person to notice that they are the two best players in the world.

And I'll go out on a limb and say that won't last long. By mid-summer, the golf world will be back to normal --- it will be Tiger and everybody else. Rory won't be the Tom Watson of the next ten years, he'll be the Phil Mickelson of the next ten years.

Not the first to notice, but the first to call a Masters playoff between the two.

And if there was some middle ground between Watson/Mickelson's records, I'd predict something along those lines for Rory. Which isn't a bad thing. These guys have hall of fame status records.

I am thinking Tiger is gonna win this one.Β  He's got that fade working and you need the balls landing soft into those greens.Β  And he seemed to have all the shots and the putter seems to working...don't really know how you can bet against him when has it working like he does.Β  Rory is obviously a good pick too.Β Β  There will also be some surprises like there are every year, so who knows.Β  Hence Charl last year

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

LOL Tiger wins one tournament where the rest of the field shot at least 4 strokes over par on Sunday and now Rory Mcilroy is written off as a has-been at the age of 22, gotta love it.

LOL Tiger wins one tournament where the rest of the field shot at least 4 strokes over par on Sunday and now Rory Mcilroy is written off as a has-been at the age of 22, gotta love it.

I'm sure Rory has a great career ahead of him, maybe even a Hall of Fame career. Ernie, Phil, and Vijay, to name three, all had HOF careers playing in Tiger's shadow, so there's no reason why Rory can't. But Rory was crowned the king of golf a bit prematurely. Tiger has more wins at Bay Hill alone, than Rory has in his entire PGA and Euro Tour careers combined.

For what its worth, they both had about the same about of wins, including one major by 22-23 years old.

Originally Posted by brocks

I'm sure Rory has a great career ahead of him, maybe even a Hall of Fame career. Ernie, Phil, and Vijay, to name three, all had HOF careers playing in Tiger's shadow, so there's no reason why Rory can't.

But Rory was crowned the king of golf a bit prematurely. Tiger has more wins at Bay Hill alone, than Rory has in his entire PGA and Euro Tour careers combined.

Note:Β This thread is 4369 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!