IGNORED

"Normal" loft for irons

Note: This thread is 3684 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is the typical degree of loft seen on clubs? I know it'll vary somewhat, but I'm trying to get a typical range so I can compare some numbers. Any help is appreciated

Thanks!

You typically got lower differences in degrees for the long irons. 3º from 3 to 4, 4º from 8 to 9. 3 - 20º 4 - 23º 5 - 26º 6 - 29º 7 - 33º 8 - 37º 9 - 41º PW - 45º

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There isn't really a standard loft anymore. There is no rules for them, or industry standard that everyone abide by. The best thing i can say is, if the set offers you a utility wedge or gap wedge around 50 degrees, its more than likey that the irons will be stronger than a set that has the PW near 48 degrees. Those are the two primary style of sets i have found. Zeph is right, usually 3 degrees of seperation from 2 to 5/6 iron, then 4 degrees from 5/6 iron to PW, then sometimes you can get 5 degrees difference in the 9 through Wedge clubs.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Thanks for the info fellas, the set I'm going to get is all one degree below the numbers zeph gave. I guess thats just another way for them to claim their clubs are longer

Quote:
I guess thats just another way for them to claim their clubs are longer

Yeah, that is pretty much it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Like others have said, it really varies, but what Zeph posted is a good reference.  I've seen sets with PW with lofts of 43 degrees and some with 48 degrees... it just depends on the set.  Normally you'll find that SGI and GI irons have the more jacked up lofts where as "players" irons will have the more traditional lofts.  Just don't get caught up in how far you hit a particular club... Sure you may hit 7 iron 150 and your buddy hits his 160 but maybe his 7 iron is really equivalent to your 6 iron in terms of loft.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

More than you ever wanted to know, but I feel the need to resurrect my old anal rants! http://thesandtrap.com/t/9728/traditional-lofts-versus-modern-lofts

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I agree TourSpoon.....I have noticed that in just the last 3 or 4 years the lofts keep getting stronger.

It really doesn't matter what the loft compared to the club number.

What really matters is that you find your distance for each club.

For instance, my Hcap was hovering at 20 in the winter then 13 to 15 in mid summer. I was using super game improvement clubs (Powerbilt AFO's). The 6 iron was 27*.  I also played Callaway X-24's in the summer and the 6 iron was 28*. I just went through the winter months and my Hcap did not go above 17.  I changed from super game improvement clubs (Powerbilt AFO) to Game Improvement (Callaway X-24 Hot) to now Mizuno MP-53's.  My 6 iron has gone from 27* to 28* to now 30*.  I have to adjust my distances but with the Mizuno's, my irons are much more accurate.

Who cares whether you use a 7 iron, 6 iron or 5 iron from 150 yds? As long as you get there.

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

More than you ever wanted to know, but I feel the need to resurrect my old anal rants!

http://thesandtrap.com/t/9728/traditional-lofts-versus-modern-lofts

Yeah I was considering adjusting the lofts eventually, but I want to see how I hit them first. I'm still a high handicapper so playing with my lofts isn't #1 priority. Good read though, confirms my previous thoughts.

Besides the club lofts, check out the iron set spec sheets for the shaft length.

The longterm rule was .5" increments between numbered irons. TM Burner 2.0 has it different: Irons 3 through 7 have .625" differences in shaft length; half-inch 7-PW; PW = GW Length, and then .25" differences for rest of set's wedges.

The stronger lofts have mader longer irons much harder to hit. The Burner 2.0 3i = 19*; in 1972, the MacGregor 3i was 25*... most other clubmakers used 24* or 25* for 3i.

Straight-up comparison between the eras needs to account for recent clubs having much better head design as far as getting the ball up. Head design helps to a point, but most people have trouble hitting 19* 3i and 22* 4i ... hence the flood of hybrids, and a recent rebound in higher-loft FWs.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Here's the lofts on my Mizuno MP-57's.  They seem to be closer to the traditional lofts than the modern lofts, but don't necessarily match either.  I really never cared about the loft though, I know that 140 yards is my 8 iron.

Iron    Loft    Lie    Offset    Bounce    Length
----      ----     ---      ------       ------        ------
3        21°   59.5°  0.161"      1°         38.75"
4        24°   60°     0.154"      1°         38.25"
5        27°   60.5°  0.146"       2°        37.75"
6        31°   61°     0.138"       2°        37.25"
7        35°   61.5°  0.130"       3°        36.75"
8        39°   62°     0.126"       4°        36.25"
9        43°   62.5°  0.114"       5°        35.75"
P       47°   63°     0.114"       6°        35.50"

I would have to argue that its much easier to hit a 7 or 8 iron more consistently than a 5 iron. So it makes a difference what you hit. The less club I have to take, the better a chance of a solid hit, at least for me.

Originally Posted by Fozcycle

I agree TourSpoon.....I have noticed that in just the last 3 or 4 years the lofts keep getting stronger.

It really doesn't matter what the loft compared to the club number.

What really matters is that you find your distance for each club.

For instance, my Hcap was hovering at 20 in the winter then 13 to 15 in mid summer. I was using super game improvement clubs (Powerbilt AFO's). The 6 iron was 27*.  I also played Callaway X-24's in the summer and the 6 iron was 28*. I just went through the winter months and my Hcap did not go above 17.  I changed from super game improvement clubs (Powerbilt AFO) to Game Improvement (Callaway X-24 Hot) to now Mizuno MP-53's.  My 6 iron has gone from 27* to 28* to now 30*.  I have to adjust my distances but with the Mizuno's, my irons are much more accurate.

Who cares whether you use a 7 iron, 6 iron or 5 iron from 150 yds? As long as you get there.

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

I would have to argue that its much easier to hit a 7 or 8 iron more consistently than a 5 iron. So it makes a difference what you hit. The less club I have to take, the better a chance of a solid hit, at least for me.

But what if that 7 iron was the same loft (and length) as somebody else's 5i? You have to define what less club means.

I don't think anyone's 7 iron can be the same loft and length as a 5 iron. I get it some sets are lofted strongly, but that's a little extreme.

Originally Posted by luu5

But what if that 7 iron was the same loft (and length) as somebody else's 5i? You have to define what less club means.

Either way, alot of companies are making 7 irons that were 6 irons. So there is definetly some club sets that are 1 club stronger. So its just something to be aware of. To me the best way to know this is to look at the club sets, if they say 4-AW(UW), then thats a set that is stronger per iron. IF its 3-PW, then your looking at a mroe traditional weeker lofted iron set. So if you wanted to compare the two, pick a 7 iron and a 6 iron. They would be very similar.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by Zeph

You typically got lower differences in degrees for the long irons. 3º from 3 to 4, 4º from 8 to 9.

3 - 20º

4 - 23º

5 - 26º

6 - 29º

7 - 33º

8 - 37º

9 - 41º

PW - 45º

Those are already strong lofts.  My AP2s are

3 - 21º
4 - 24º
5 - 27º
6 - 31º
7 - 35º
8 - 39º
9 - 43º
PW - 47º

But Titleist lists the lofts for AP1s to be exactly what you have listed.  Maybe it's the difference between players/GI irons?  As you get closer to the GI/SGI end of the spectrum, lofts are a bit stronger to counter the effects of lower CG and higher launch shafts?  They use head weighting and shaft launch characteristics to get the ball in the air, and then reduce the loft to give you a few extra yards.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

Those are already strong lofts.  My AP2s are

3 - 21º

4 - 24º

5 - 27º

6 - 31º

7 - 35º

8 - 39º

9 - 43º

PW - 47º

But Titleist lists the lofts for AP1s to be exactly what you have listed.  Maybe it's the difference between players/GI irons?  As you get closer to the GI/SGI end of the spectrum, lofts are a bit stronger to counter the effects of lower CG and higher launch shafts?  They use head weighting and shaft launch characteristics to get the ball in the air, and then reduce the loft to give you a few extra yards.

Your AP2's are exactly the same as my MP-57's.  Your point is interesting about the setup on them.  A friend of mine plays the Burner 2.0's and I may try to hit them and see if there's a huge distance difference.  Even though with 6mm offset in the Burners, I may not be able to keep from hooking them.  That's a lot of offset compared to what I have now.

Here's the lofts on the Burner 2.0 Irons.......  These are crazy.  There's absolutely no standardization, even between the same manufacturer.

3 - 19

4 - 21

5 - 24

6 - 27

7 - 31

8 - 35

9 - 40

P - 45

The shafts are also 3/4" longer than my MP-57's standard.

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339

Your AP2's are exactly the same as my MP-57's.  Your point is interesting about the setup on them.  A friend of mine plays the Burner 2.0's and I may try to hit them and see if there's a huge distance difference.  Even though with 6mm offset in the Burners, I may not be able to keep from hooking them.  That's a lot of offset compared to what I have now.

Here's the lofts on the Burner 2.0 Irons.......  These are crazy.  There's absolutely no standardization, even between the same manufacturer.

3 - 19

4 - 21

5 - 24

6 - 27

7 - 31

8 - 35

9 - 40

P - 45

The shafts are also 3/4" longer than my MP-57's standard.

That set is similar to the callaways diablos I just ordered. They start at 19, but their lofts go a little higher as they progress.

3-19

4-22

5-25

6-28

7-32

8-36

9-40

PW-44

These are supposed to be game improvement irons, so I imagine they're trying to get distance/forgivibility/etc in one club. I guess we'll see how they do.

Note: This thread is 3684 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!