IGNORED

Teeing Up Irons (Par 3 or Otherwise)

Note: This thread is 3798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here are the reasons you are topping the ball 1: your weight is to far back at impact 2: with your weight too far back at impact you pull your arms up to avoid hitting behind the ball and Hitting the ball fat 3 : you release your body`s forward tilt at too fast of a rate and when the club face hits the ball it hits with too much ASCENT and not enough DESCENT, here is a drill for fixing topped shots,set up with 90%  of your weight on your lead foot ( if you are a righty its you left foot if you are a lefty its your right foot) lean the handle of the golf club foward until it covers the ball of your lead foot, now make SLOW and SHORT swings at first focusing on keeping your weight 90% on your lead foot Throughout backswing  then as you make the downswing move your weight even farther forward until its 100% on your lead foot after impact, also  focus on throughout your swing keeping the angle that is formed between your right wrist and the golf club at the setup when you lean the handle of the club forward until well after impact and in to your follow through... AKA "the flying wedge"  Good luck!  Here is a good youtube video about this drill.

I tend to not use a tee on par 3's unless they are 150+ yards. If I do use a tee then I literally sit it at grass level. Try not to focus on it being a par 3 and focus on what you would do for an approach shot into a par 4/5.

why use a tee if you're putting it all the way in the ground?

I read a thing from Jack Nicklaus that said he always teed it up kind of high on par 3's because there would be less resistance. I have been following that method for about a year now and routinely hit good irons on par 3's with anything from a 5i to a pitching wedge.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Paradox

why use a tee if you're putting it all the way in the ground?

I read a thing from Jack Nicklaus that said he always teed it up kind of high on par 3's because there would be less resistance. I have been following that method for about a year now and routinely hit good irons on par 3's with anything from a 5i to a pitching wedge.

Less resistance to what? The ball's gone by the time the club gets into the ground? I think you might have misread Jack's quote. I remember him saying "if you can give yourself a perfect lie, do." I tee my irons up really low to the ground. That's how they're hit normally. If I want to take a little distance off I'll tee it a tad higher because you'll catch it a little higher on the face.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How high are you teeing it?    Raising the ball a little bit above the grass only improves the lie....make the same swing and it's an easier shot.   It's hard to say what you are doing wrong without seeing a video.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by iacas

Less resistance to what? The ball's gone by the time the club gets into the ground? I think you might have misread Jack's quote. I remember him saying "if you can give yourself a perfect lie, do." I tee my irons up really low to the ground. That's how they're hit normally. If I want to take a little distance off I'll tee it a tad higher because you'll catch it a little higher on the face.

"And I tee the ball a little higher than most players do."

"I always felt that air had less resistance than dirt. What puzzles me is when players take a tee, jam it all the way in the ground, then put the ball on top o fit. Why is the tee there? "

Golf Digest March 2012 issue, page 40, Flick & Nicklaus lesson tee.

no misreading of the quote.

"And I tee the ball a little higher than most players do."

"I always felt that air had less resistance than dirt. What puzzles me is when players take a tee, jam it all the way in the ground, then put the ball on top o fit. Why is the tee there? "

Golf Digest March 2012 issue, page 40, Flick & Nicklaus lesson tee.

no misreading of the quote.

If you tee it too high you'll lose compression between the club face and the ground.  At least with the irons that is.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

If you tee it too high you'll lose compression between the club face and the ground.  At least with the irons that is.

there is no compression between the clubface and the ground.  The speed with which the clubface contacts the ball is the only thing that makes compression happen..and its over in less than the blink of an eye.

there is no compression between the clubface and the ground.  The speed with which the clubface contacts the ball is the only thing that makes compression happen..and its over in less than the blink of an eye.

Sorry but we'll have to disagree here.  There are countless teachers that preach this.  The ball gets squished between the club face and the ground on a properly struck iron shot.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4881193_hit-golf-ball-iron.html

http://moenormangolf.com/the-moment-of-truth-compression-compression-compression/

I can provide more links if you're curious.

Another myth of golf.  While you want to compress the golf ball and get the feeling that you're pushing the ball into the ground, the use of high speed cameras has shown that this is not what's really happening.  The golf club compresses the ball, it doesn't compress where it's contacting the ground, it simply flies away.

Sorry but we'll have to disagree here.  There are countless teachers that preach this.  The ball gets squished between the club face and the ground on a properly struck iron shot.

http://moenormangolf.com/the-moment-of-truth-compression-compression-compression/

Not again.

And it does not make text any more authoritative by using another flawed explanation. Bernoulli effect does not make planes fly.

Quote:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4881193_hit-golf-ball-iron.html

I can provide more links if you're curious.

Urban myth. The ball compresses against the club, not the ground.

Think of it from the perspective of something hard versus something soft; which one will 'give', the hard golf ball or the soft ground? If the ball was squished with the turf, the turf would simply give and the ball would go down into the turf, it certainly wouldn't compress against the soft ground and magically spring up into the air.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by luu5

Not again.

And it does not make text any more authoritative by using another flawed explanation. Bernoulli effect does not make planes fly.

Like I said we'll have to disagree.  I know this to be fact.  Typically the harder the surface you are hitting off of the more you can compress your ball because the club traps it against the ground on properly hit iron shot.  I happens in a fraction of second, but it happens.  There are plenty of slow motion videos of pro golfers swings on the internet that show this happening.

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Urban myth. The ball compresses against the club, not the ground.

Think of it from the perspective of something hard versus something soft; which one will 'give', the hard golf ball or the soft ground? If the ball was squished with the turf, the turf would simply give and the ball would go down into the turf, it certainly wouldn't compress against the soft ground and magically spring up into the air.

Sorry but I'll take the word of Moe Norman and Golfsmith.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luu5

Not again.

Like I said we'll have to disagree.  I know this to be fact.  Typically the harder the surface you are hitting off of the more you can compress your ball because the club traps it against the ground on properly hit iron shot.  I happens in a fraction of second, but it happens.  There are plenty of slow motion videos of pro golfers swings on the internet that show this happening.

Patrick?

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Sorry but I'll take the word of Moe Norman and Golfsmith.

Ah yes, Moe Norman the man who could see faster than a high speed camera and the exception to the laws of physics. Good call!

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Can you please put few of those links up?

Note: This thread is 3798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!