IGNORED

Anyone carry a 4 wood in the bag?

Note: This thread is 3847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've always been told that if I can't hit the driver that I should get a 3 wood. So recently I went to get one but found a Cleveland DST 17 degree 4 wood that I hit better and farther than any 3 wood. Any one else have luck with a 4wood instead of the 3 wood? Shouldn't I be hitting the 3 farther?

I don't carry one but my wife does.    She had real problems getting any air under the ball, even off a tee.   We recently got her a 13.5* driver, and the extra height fixed her distance on drives.   Since she had the same problem multiplied off the deck with a 15* 3-wood, we got her a 17* 4-wood to replace it.   She has been having real good luck with the 4..

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When it was the only club I had between my driver and 3 iron, I had a 4 wood and I loved it.  When I added a 19* hybrid, I was able to replace the 4 wood with a 15* 3 wood.

On paper, 3 woods go further than 4 woods, but the only one that I would find really odd is if you were hitting the Cleveland DST 3 wood (with the equivalent shaft) shorter than this one.  Either way, its not relevant ... you hit this one great and thats all that really matters.

You hit what you hit. A 4 wood hit on the screws will always go farther than a 3 wood that you hit fat or push or pull into the woods or water.

Heck, I've gone to a Ti 5 wood.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I do - G15 17degree. Works great, distance is basically the same for me as a 3 wood and I'm able to hit it from the fairway better than a 3 wood.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

If you only carry one wood, 4-wood is the way to go.  I actually carry a weak Ping Rapture 3-wood that's 16 degrees.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

I love my 4W (I have the G15 as well). If you like the 4W, give a 7W a try as well.  They are a great combination, I switched to it from the more standard 3W/5W and much prefer it.

Brad

If it works, use it. I know people who carry only a 3 wood, because they cant a driver.

I have recently given up using hybrids because I just can not hit them worth a darn. I went and bout a 7 wood, which works for me.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

What length shaft is on that 4w?

I am only 5' 4" and always looking for "shorter" clubs.  Especially since I have to shorten them anyway.

So far the shortest 4w in stock length I have found is the TM r11 4w which is 42.5".

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

Wishon 915HL 16.5° 4 wood here.  Higher loft and shorter shaft means I hit it much better than any of my 3 woods.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

I have a 80ish swing speed and I hit my Cleveland FL 17* wood longer than any 15* 3wood I've ever had or tried.

Driver...Ping G10 10.5* V2 High Launch

4-wood......Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz 2012 17*
3-4 Hybrid.......Bobby Jones Player Series 21* and 25*
Irons.........Mizuno MX-200
Wedges....Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 52*, Ping Tour-W 56*, Ping Tour-S 60*....Putter-Ping Redwood Piper.....Ball-Srixon TriSpeed Tour

Love my Wishon MC949 16.5° 4 wood. Get the same distance as a 3w and much easier to hit off the fairway.

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

i play a superfast 2.0 4W and I crush it off the tee.  I was hitting it 255, measued by gps in 45 degree weather last round..  i've hit a big cut around a tree 237 yds and rolled on to a par 5 green in 2.  I 3 jacked the goddamn putt though.

Originally Posted by erock9174

What length shaft is on that 4w?

I am only 5' 4" and always looking for "shorter" clubs.  Especially since I have to shorten them anyway.

So far the shortest 4w in stock length I have found is the TM r11 4w which is 42.5".

I built it to 42".  Also just answered your PM.

I carry a 4 wood in my bag at all times. On my vacation in Hilton Head I was doing horrible with my driver since I hadn't played in a long time so I switched to my 4 wood for tee shots. It has never done me wrong and every shot went dead straight. I know it's just a mental thing for me, but I love mine

Note: This thread is 3847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!