IGNORED

i20 or 712AP1 irons ? (for 18 handicapper that is recovering)

Note: This thread is 4257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Guys, pls your thoughts and/or experiences on next issue.

I'm playing off 18 handicap, practice a lot, take lessons regularly. But due some "accident" I'm now recovering from skull and braintrauma (100%
recovery expected in about 1 year though). Had 3 months downtime, first active month was "relearning" to play, because all "feeling" in my body and movements
changed strangely enough. Now I'm building up again, and it's going ok-ish, allthough I can't play my handicap yet. But if health allows that won't
take too much longer I hope. Now, I'm aiming to shave something off the handicap this year. And since I've been playing my Mizuno MX-25's for 3 years,
I think it's time to treat myself to new irons, not that I need new ones, I just WANT them ;-)

And to make it as easy as possible for myself, I'm aiming for irons that are as forgiving or more forgiving then my MX-25's (very forgiving players iron
or a reasonably goodlooking game improvement iron). Let me specify. I'm looking for a head that is consistant, consistant with heel toe misses, and
does not have a springy face that adds 10 yard when you pure it. So I suppose that has to be a head wich is not too small heel to toe, has some perimeter
weighting and a reasonable sole width. I do not need help to get the ball in the air though as my ballflight is allready fairly high.

Tried and tested several heads and shafts on the driving range (no fitting). (r11, burner 2.0, razr x, 710ap2, i20, anser, nicklaus, 710cb ...)
And the one that sticks out the most at this time are the Ping I20's. They are half a club longer than my mx-25's, but have slightly worse dispersion distance wise (Possibly down to the stock regular cfs shaft, fitting will fix that I presume), but better/more forgiving turf interaction for me.

NOW, last weekend I thought about the Titleist AP1, but I have no access to them to try them. Am I correct in thinking they are quite a bit more
forgiving than the i20's, especially in the mid and short irons which seem to be larger ? Because then they might fit my requirements perfectly.
Unfortunately I heard rumors about the finish of the titleist being iffy, having a lot of wear and tear. Another worry is that the
AP1's have little bounce, and allthough I'm not really a digger that grabbed my attention as I always read that bounce is my friend.

Thoughts anyone ? Experiences comparing i20 to AP1 ?

Originally Posted by bcgolf

NOW, last weekend I thought about the Titleist AP1, but I have no access to them to try them. Am I correct in thinking they are quite a bit more

forgiving than the i20's, especially in the mid and short irons which seem to be larger ? Because then they might fit my requirements perfectly.

Unfortunately I heard rumors about the finish of the titleist being iffy, having a lot of wear and tear. Another worry is that the

AP1's have little bounce, and allthough I'm not really a digger that grabbed my attention as I always read that bounce is my friend.

Thoughts anyone ? Experiences comparing i20 to AP1 ?

AP1's would be geared towards hitting it higher but in terms of dispersion, I'd say they would be pretty similar.  PING putting the weight insert into the toe has worked for them and TaylorMade is starting to use that design feature.  With the i20's there will probably be less bounce in the short clubs than the AP1's.  IMO the best finish is the PING's, I like a satin finish and it's very durable.  The AP1's are durable as well but that shiny finish doesn't last long.  I think in the end in comes down to what looks best to your eye, i20's are a medium sized cavity back and the AP1's have a thicker, more game improvement look but not as extreme as a G20 for example.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have logged around 8 rounds with my i20 irons.  These irons are so amazing, I have broken my best rounds multiple times.  They are the most forgiving irons I have ever hit.  I am using the stock stiff shafts (didn't want to spend the extra 30 bucks a shaft for the projectX shafts).  Even with the forgiving nature of a players/game improvement iron I am really getting used to working the ball.  And you can work the ball with these.  And they are very long yesterday a thew a 7 iron 185 yards to a tucked pin behind a bunker to about 4 feet.  My previous Adams CB'2 on the same box would have been a 6 and there would be no way to stop the ball that tight.  Try the Pings you wont be sorry.

• Upvote 1

I just recently purchased a new set irons. I tried most of the irons out there including JPX800Pro, R11, G20, RBZ, RazrX...... etc, after hitting them all I narrowed it down to the AP1's and i20's. In the end, I went with the AP1's. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the i20's, because I would have been happy with either. After playing a few rounds with the AP1's, I am loving them more and more. The ball just seems to come off the face really hot. Either way you can't go wrong! Good luck!

Phillip

I bought the AP!'s this year for myself. And i have to say I could not be more pleased with them. I have only been out a couple of times but they really hit and feel well. I did have titleist 804 os before so that may be why I am a bit biased towards the titleists, but i did hit a bunch of other irons and the AP1's were above the rest.

• 2 months later...

I have played both AP1-710's and Ping I-15's. I like the AP1's better because of less visual offset,

and more traditional shape. As another poster said, the Ping club's finish is a rough textured surface

and therefore will show less wear marks. Both are high quality clubs with superb performance so it

all boils down to what your personal preference is. Which one gives you the most confidence as you

set up behind the ball.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I should update this thread with how it panned out. Day before yesterday I bit the bullet on a whim, couldn't restrain myself anymore, had to buy new toys. So I ordered the i20's.
Never could get hold of the AP1's, so they were out basically. And since I was fitted by Ping, albeit quite some time ago, and I did have the opportunity to test the i20 for two weeks, and liked them, I just went with that.

Now I just have to be patient for two more weeks for them to arrive ... tick tock tick tock ...

Thought I should update this thread with how it panned out. Day before yesterday I bit the bullet on a whim, couldn't restrain myself anymore, had to buy new toys. So I ordered the i20's.

Never could get hold of the AP1's, so they were out basically. And since I was fitted by Ping, albeit quite some time ago, and I did have the opportunity to test the i20 for two weeks, and liked them, I just went with that.

Now I just have to be patient for two more weeks for them to arrive ... tick tock tick tock ...

They say 2 weeks, but when I bought my pings G10's (I no longer play them) they were in within 7 working days.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I've hit the i15, awesome and I'm probably around a 28 cap. No problems hitting them.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I finally got round to trying out the new i20's and tour-s with stiff CFS on the range. No honeymoon period, no love at first sight. I'm having a difficult time adjusting to them, difficult time loving them. They feel so light, so boardy, so clicky. Some of the grips were not put on straight, annoying. Makes me wonder what else they were careless with. Tour-s grind feels "sticky" in the green stuff, doesn't react to turf as I was used to with the Vokeys. Haven't tried the bunker yet. Tour-s feels hard, boardy, clicky with the Stiff CFS compared to Vokeys with Stiff KBS. I have a hard time hitting the 55/13 tour-s the same distance as I did my 58/08 Vokey .. go figure ..

So basically, it will take some time to get used to or even fall in love .. if at all .. going to give it some time and we'll see .. to be continued ..

Doesn't sound like you're too pleased with them thus far.  You didn't notice any of these things during fitting?

Well, I finally got round to trying out the new i20's and tour-s with stiff CFS on the range. No honeymoon period, no love at first sight. I'm having a difficult time adjusting to them, difficult time loving them. They feel so light, so boardy, so clicky. Some of the grips were not put on straight, annoying. Makes me wonder what else they were careless with. Tour-s grind feels "sticky" in the green stuff, doesn't react to turf as I was used to with the Vokeys. Haven't tried the bunker yet. Tour-s feels hard, boardy, clicky with the Stiff CFS compared to Vokeys with Stiff KBS. I have a hard time hitting the 55/13 tour-s the same distance as I did my 58/08 Vokey .. go figure ..

So basically, it will take some time to get used to or even fall in love .. if at all .. going to give it some time and we'll see .. to be continued ..

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!