IGNORED

Is it ok to use a Golf GPS on a round in which you will be recording your score towards your USGA handicap?

ovechkingreat8
Note: This thread is 4408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is using a GPS legal for an everyday round in which you will record the score towards your handicap?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe... please comment

The last round I played back east, the GPS was built right into the cart (which included a video flyover and synopsis at the beginning of each hole).  I entered the round.  Wind directional/speed measuring devices are against the rules.

Pretty sure the USGA already resolved the issue on account of the golf GPS manufacturers threatening a lawsuit......

I plan on using the golflogix app this year on my smartphone as well.  If that means not keeping an official index, then so be it.

"In the case of multi-function and smartphone devices that can run golf GPS apps , such as the iPhone and BlackBerry, the ruling is more complex, but it is clear. Some have interpreted the 2009 USGA/R&A; Joint Statement to mean that multi-function devices that may include phone, Web-browser, and weather app capability, are not permitted for competition under any circumstances.

That is not the case, says Carter Rich, equipment standards manager for the USGA Test Center, based in Far Hills, New Jersey. For example, use of a conforming golf GPS app on an iPhone or BlackBerry is allowed when the local rule permitting use of such apps is in effect, with some qualifiers.

These fall into two categories:

1. Resident functions normally found on smartphones, such as web browsers, and calling capability.

2. Golf-specific apps or other apps that might assist the player in making a stroke or in his or her play.

Even though a golfer could potentially open a weather site via a Web browser during competition, Rich says, the rules do not prohibit the use of a Web browser-equipped smartphone in competition. There are other, permitted uses for a Web browser, such as checking e-mail, for example (don’t do that in my foursome, though!). As with many rules of golf, it’s up to the golfer to stay within the rules with these capabilities on devices in his or her possession during competition.

The same is true for phone calling capability, for example. “It’s fine to call your family and let them know you’ll be late for dinner. But calling your coach for swing tips is of course not permitted under the Rules of Golf,” says Rich.

Regarding specific apps, there are some that you may not have on your device, whether you use them or not. For example, green slope-reading capability is not permitted on dedicated GPS or laser rangefinders, nor is it permitted on smartphones and other multi-function electronic devices, says Rich. Simply having a green-slope reading app or functionality on your device is enough to make it non-conforming, and to disqualify the golfer.

However, a conforming golf GPS smartphone app that provides distances is still permitted."

i have a leupold gx-4, which has a mode where you can turn off the slope information and club recommendations.  its still technically illegal to use even w/ those modes off.  but i still post the scores, as i know i'm playing under the correct rules for only using distance information.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

You don't need a poll for this.

The answer is yes. You can use one.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

A poll is an unusual choice for a rules question.

The important general take-away from the question, though, is that the rules of golf are more restrictive than the rules for handicapping. Many situations that would result in a disqualification under the rules do not invalidate a score for handicap purposes. You are expected to play by the rules, but deviation does not mean you throw out your score.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I think is more of a qualified yes as I think more and more GPS's are including features like club suggestion which I believe make them illegal.  As far as I know It is legal to draw arcs at 150 yards, 160 yards,... but if you label them 7 iron, 8iron that would make the app illegal. Technically if the app has a feature like that it sounds like it is illegal to use even if you don't use that feature.

Originally Posted by Shorty

You don't need a poll for this.

The answer is yes. You can use one.

Originally Posted by moparman426

"In the case of multi-function and smartphone devices that can run golf GPS apps, such as the iPhone and BlackBerry, the ruling is more complex, but it is clear. Some have interpreted the 2009 USGA/R&A; Joint Statement to mean that multi-function devices that may include phone, Web-browser, and weather app capability, are not permitted for competition under any circumstances.

That is not the case, says Carter Rich, equipment standards manager for the USGA Test Center, based in Far Hills, New Jersey. For example, use of a conforming golf GPS app on an iPhone or BlackBerry is allowed when the local rule permitting use of such apps is in effect, with some qualifiers.

These fall into two categories:

1. Resident functions normally found on smartphones, such as web browsers, and calling capability.

2. Golf-specific apps or other apps that might assist the player in making a stroke or in his or her play.

Even though a golfer could potentially open a weather site via a Web browser during competition, Rich says, the rules do not prohibit the use of a Web browser-equipped smartphone in competition. There are other, permitted uses for a Web browser, such as checking e-mail, for example (don’t do that in my foursome, though!). As with many rules of golf, it’s up to the golfer to stay within the rules with these capabilities on devices in his or her possession during competition.

The same is true for phone calling capability, for example. “It’s fine to call your family and let them know you’ll be late for dinner. But calling your coach for swing tips is of course not permitted under the Rules of Golf,” says Rich.

Regarding specific apps, there are some that you may not have on your device, whether you use them or not. For example, green slope-reading capability is not permitted on dedicated GPS or laser rangefinders, nor is it permitted on smartphones and other multi-function electronic devices, says Rich. Simply having a green-slope reading app or functionality on your device is enough to make it non-conforming, and to disqualify the golfer.

However, a conforming golf GPS smartphone app that provides distances is still permitted."

Where does this quote come from?  This is different than what we were hearing just a few weeks ago when we had a very extensive thread on exactly this issue.  This makes a lot more sense than the prior position but I'd like to see the context of the quote.

Thanks.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you have one of these apps on your phone, does this mean that simply having the phone in your bag would disqualify you?  If I don't play at a course where I have a locker, and don't want to leave my phone in the car to melt in the heat, what do I do?

Originally Posted by x129

I think is more of a qualified yes as I think more and more GPS's are including features like club suggestion which I believe make them illegal.  As far as I know It is legal to draw arcs at 150 yards, 160 yards,... but if you label them 7 iron, 8iron that would make the app illegal. Technically if the app has a feature like that it sounds like it is illegal to use even if you don't use that feature.

If the club length information was available before round, then why would club suggestions be illegal? You can write on yardagebook club suggestions and it would still be legal.

From the rules, this renders the device illegal

• recommendations that might assist the player in making a stroke or in his play (e.g., club selection, type of shot to be played, green reading or any other advice related matter);

I read this as having a GPS suggest clubs on a the hole as being illegal but I am not sure there is an offical USGA ruling on that specific feature. And just because it doesn't make sense doesn't mean it isn't against the rules.

Originally Posted by luu5

If the club length information was available before round, then why would club suggestions be illegal? You can write on yardagebook club suggestions and it would still be legal.

Originally Posted by turtleback

Where does this quote come from?  This is different than what we were hearing just a few weeks ago when we had a very extensive thread on exactly this issue.  This makes a lot more sense than the prior position but I'd like to see the context of the quote.

Thanks.

http://gps.about.com/od/gpsproductoverview/a/smartphone-golf-gps-rules.htm

http://gps.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi;=1&sdn;=gps&cdn;=gadgets&tm;=55&f;=00&su;=p284.13.342.ip_p504.6.342.ip_&tt;=2&bt;=1&bts;=1&zu;=http%3A//www.usga.org/news.aspx%3Fid%3D54238

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

If you have one of these apps on your phone, does this mean that simply having the phone in your bag would disqualify you?  If I don't play at a course where I have a locker, and don't want to leave my phone in the car to melt in the heat, what do I do?

From USGA Rules site:

"When the local rule is in effect, a distance-measuring application may be used, provided the specific application is restricted to “distance only” and the device does not have any other “non-conforming” features. This is the case even if these other features are not being used. As above, the rules on advice-related communications (including the use of the internet) still apply."

Just don't have the illegal apps installed on your phone.  I think they are and will remain intentionally grey on this, for fear of backlash from members and clubs that wish to allow their members to use smartphone GPS devices.  "When the local rule is in effect", indeed...

http://gps.about.com/od/gpsproductoverview/a/smartphone-golf-gps-rules.htm

http://gps.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi;=1&sdn;=gps&cdn;=gadgets&tm;=55&f;=00&su;=p284.13.342.ip_p504.6.342.ip_&tt;=2&bt;=1&bts;=1&zu;=http%3A//www.usga.org/news.aspx%3Fid%3D54238

Thank you

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Just don't have the illegal apps installed on your phone.  I think they are and will remain intentionally grey on this, for fear of backlash from members and clubs that wish to allow their members to use smartphone GPS devices.  "When the local rule is in effect", indeed...

That's the safe way to go for sure.  I have "golfshot lite" on my iphone, and all I use it for is keeping stats.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that's all it does, so it shouldn't be considered illegal.

Thanks moparman!

This is why I have a dislike for the USGA. They are behind technology and popular equipment innovations. Do they really think a "computer application" that may suggest what club I should use is going to help me hit the shot better?

I still have to swing the club.

Knowing the yardage is a step in the right direction.

Note: This thread is 4408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!