IGNORED

Iphone GPS apps: Golfshot vs Golflogix

Note: This thread is 3583 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Golfshot or Golflogix?

• Golfshot
    • Golflogix

I paid for Golflogix last season but now I use nRange on my iPhone 4. Totally free and in my opinion better than golflogix. I had trouble with golflogix crashing in the middle of a round and I would have to restart the entire app etc. Nrange has been fast and reliable for the past 6 months.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

• 4 weeks later...
Update: Golfshot was updated recently and is now better than ever.... Best $30 I've spent, I use it constantly and even bought their companion app, Golfplan, that suggests drills after analyzing your Golfshot statistics.

New member. first post. My goal this summer is to consistently break 100. Played a round last week where guy who shoots mid 70's was using/bragging about golfshot. I decided to try it but found free version of golflogix where you can try and then buy the full version. Here's what I experienced with golflogix after one round using iPhone 4. Yardages seemed to be accurate compared to on course markings within a couple of yards. There were a couple of times where I questioned the accuracy where no markings were available but Seemed to work out okay. Started with a full battery charge and at end of round had maybe 20% left at end. Used the auto off and checked yardage maybe once or twice per hole. I assume if I used the full version and additional features, like fly over and distance to hazards It would use up a full charge. I liked the graphics, love the scorecard and though not necessary found the stats fun to do and review. People mentioned the app crashing and yes I had to restart it a couple of times. Not sure if it was something I did or not. Yes, there were ads but did not bother me to much. Once you mentally accept they are there you notice them and move on. I will try full version ( you get 2 free ones) this weekend and decide whether to buy this one at $20 per year or the golfshot for a one time $30. Bottom line is I thought this was a very good app but if you can't start with a full charge you won't have it for the full round unless you buy some kind of portable charging device that I'm pretty sure exists.

I haven't tried either, but just downloaded Swing by Swing Golf GPS for the iPhone.  It has a ton of free features, but also you can pay to upgrade ($14.99 for one Looper Game Analysis Pack??).  I just visited the user forums and tech support seems to be awesome about responding to input/new features/bugs.

Anyone else try this app?

switching from right to lefty so: 

tinkering with a plethora of equipment and brands; I now feel like its all about mechanics and less equipment- stay tuned

My friend would love to use Swing by Swing if it didn't keep losing him on GPS and skipping to different holes on his Droid powered phone. He noticed I seemed to like my GolfLogix on my iPhone 3G. He tried GolfLogix but it takes "too long" for the GPS to catch up to his position on his Droid phone. It works very well on my iPhone 3G. SO I told him that it must be his actual phone and not the apps. I don't know the model of his phone but the touch screen is much larger than my iPhone and I think it is a Samsung.

I use Executive Caddie Pro... it's free now and is very easy to use, very fast, accurate and keeps a lot of data if you take the time to enter it all.

I've been using GolfShot since late 2009, early 2010, something like that.  I've also tried GolfLogix multiple times, whenever enough time has gone by that there are new features and I can get a couple of free tests of the full version.  There are things to like about both platforms. For me, the deciding factor was the $30 one-time price tag for GolfShot.  At the time, GoflShot did not track club distances which I was disappointed in, but they updated a while back and now they do so I'm a happy camper.  In the end, I would say that other than the price differential it all comes down to which interface you are more comfortable with.  I've been using GolfShot so long that the interface for GolfLogix just looks wrong to me.

Some thoughts on GolfLogix from the last time I used it.

• I actually prefer the color "drawings" of the holes to the satellite pictures.
  • Like the concept of tracking each of my shots visually as GL allows you to do, but in practice found it difficult to do correctly and felt it had me spending too much time fiddling with the phone rather than golfing.  Still, love the concept.

I don't think you can go wrong with either (hence the 50/50 response on the poll), but I still prefer GolfShot at this time.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by Breaking 100

New member. first post. My goal this summer is to consistently break 100.

Played a round last week where guy who shoots mid 70's was using/bragging about golfshot.

I decided to try it but found free version of golflogix where you can try and then buy the full version.

Here's what I experienced with golflogix after one round using iPhone 4.

Yardages seemed to be accurate compared to on course markings within a couple of yards.

There were a couple of times where I questioned the accuracy where no markings were available but

Seemed to work out okay.

Started with a full battery charge and at end of round had maybe 20% left at end.

Used the auto off and checked yardage maybe once or twice per hole.

I assume if I used the full version and additional features, like fly over and distance to hazards

It would use up a full charge.

I liked the graphics, love the scorecard and though not necessary found the stats fun to do and review.

People mentioned the app crashing and yes I had to restart it a couple of times. Not sure if it was something I did or not.

Yes, there were ads but did not bother me to much. Once you mentally accept they are there you notice them and move on.

I will try full version ( you get 2 free ones) this weekend and decide whether to buy this one at $20 per year or the golfshot for a one time $30.

Bottom line is I thought this was a very good app but if you can't start with a full charge you won't have it for the full round unless you buy some kind of portable charging device that I'm pretty sure exists.

Did you try the full version yet?  I am wondering because I just upgraded to the Champions membership for $20 and I am still getting ads for Farmers Insurance.  I have to keep hitting the close button to get rid of it.  Also, I guess the new Golf Digest part of it is separate and that costs $20 a year on its own.  Still unsure why that is on its own but in the same app.

You also mentioned that it keeps crashing.  Today (08-27-12) they just came out with an update to the app so hopefully that will be fixed.

Currently in my Cart Bag:

Driver:     RAZR Fit Driver, 8.5-degree, Stiff Flex Graphite Shaft

Wood:      RAZR Fit Fairway 5 Wood, 18-Degree, Stiff Flex Graphite Shaft

Hybrids:  Bazooka JMAX Tour Hybrid Iron-Woods, 3 (21-Degree) and 4 (24-Degrees) [Precision Ultra Lite Steel Shaft]

Irons:      Bazooka JMAX QL Irons, 5-PW, +1/2-inch [Precision Ultra Lite Steel Shaft]

Wedge:   Bazooka JMAX 304 Stainless M812 56-Degree Sand Wedge [Precision Ultra Lite Steel Shaft]

Putter:     Tour Tech Putter, 35-inch (Right Handed)

Champion Member since August 2012

• 2 weeks later...
I have been using golfshot GPS for over a year and find it very smooth and easy to use while on the course. I have used it on both an iPhone and an android but it's smoother on the iPhone. I just got golfLogix but find it a bit distracting to load on the course even though the feedback on ones game golflogix is definitely more detailed. By and large I think I will be sticking to Golfshot for now until golflogix software is made easier and smoother to work with on the fly.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted by rbarzill

Golfshot is on sale right now... $19.99

Instead of trying to scrape more money out of people, they oughta update that shit to 3.0 on Android. I'm still really salty about them not doing it yet and and not even releasing a reason.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

• 1 month later...
The premise of golf shot is cool but I feel like it is cumbersome. Golf logix was nice but there are free ones that do more. Definitely more people would be on board if it was a one time fee. Therefore go with golfshot.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golf shot won me over with the one time fee. I've tried several and swing by swing would have been my favorite by far except for the annual fee.

910 D2 10.5  910F 3w  910H 19*

712 AP1 4-GW  Vokey SM4 54* and 58*

Select Golo  E5

• 4 weeks later...
I have a Skycaddie and like it very much. I use GolfLogix on my IPhone 5 and think it is the best golf app out there. Just watch the demo videos of the golf apps you are interested in and there won't be a need to try them side by side.

Golf[quote name="therefore" url="/t/56708/iphone-gps-apps-golfshot-vs-golflogix/30#post_785750"]I'm at a loss...isn't Golflogics like 2X the price of Golfshot? [URL=http://www.criticalgolf.com/how-we-test-iphone-golf-gps-apps/]http://www.criticalgolf.com/how-we-test-iphone-golf-gps-apps/[/URL] [/quote] GolfShot has a one time fee, no annual fee. I have it for my iPhone 4S and use it every round. I love it. It looks like GolfLogix has an annual fee of $20. I've never used it, but I'd rather the one time fee than a yearly subscription.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3583 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!