IGNORED

Driver and swing speed

Note: This thread is 3796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just recently got into golf (about a week ago). I had some lessons at golf tec and my swing speed was 120 to 127 mph. The first driver I purchased was a Calloway diablo octane 10.5 with project x 5.5 shaft. I went to the driving riange with this club and hit it very very high. I returned it for a titlelist 910 d2 9.5 loft with rip 60 shaft. Would this shaft and club hit lower? It was purchased from goldsmith and hit on their simulator and he stated this shaft would keep the ball flight low compared to the one I had on the octane. My main question is if this shaft is ok stiffness wise ? It is a stiff shaft however the guy at goldsmith said I'd need to aftermakret stiff shaft which could run 300+. Is this true ?

Yeah, aftermarket shafts do cost that much for many of them.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfnewb

I just recently got into golf (about a week ago). I had some lessons at golf tec and my swing speed was 120 to 127 mph. The first driver I purchased was a Calloway diablo octane 10.5 with project x 5.5 shaft. I went to the driving riange with this club and hit it very very high. I returned it for a titlelist 910 d2 9.5 loft with rip 60 shaft. Would this shaft and club hit lower? It was purchased from goldsmith and hit on their simulator and he stated this shaft would keep the ball flight low compared to the one I had on the octane. My main question is if this shaft is ok stiffness wise ? It is a stiff shaft however the guy at goldsmith said I'd need to aftermakret stiff shaft which could run 300+. Is this true ?

Did you get a stiff shaft or x-stiff?  The rip is a 200 dollar shaft if you buy it new by itself.  It's a very good shaft imop. I play that same driver.

Drivers: Titleist 913 D2 Aldila phenom
Fairway Woods: Titleist 910F-d
Fairway Woods: Titleist 909 F3 or

Hybrid: Taylormade tp 18 or Mp fli hi 2 iron 
Irons: Mizuno MP-52 3-pw
Wedges: TaylorMade RAC Z TP
Putters: Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #2
Golf Bags: Titleist Blue cart bag

Shoes: Footjoy Dry joys

Golf Balls: Titleist Pro v1x

Huh? You're one week into golf and your driver SS is in the 120s? That's Bubba territory.

We'll be seeing you on tour soon I guess.

dak4n6

Yes that is my swing speed. I am not saying I am a great golfer I still have a lot to work on. I went to golfsmith to get fitted for clubs and said I was a beginner and recorded 120 mph. I thought to myself this might be off and got lessons from golftec as I felt lessons are the best thing I can do for myself and recorded up to 127 mph with a 290 carry. I felt my octane with project x 5.5 was way to whippy and I got way to much lift with the 10.5 so I exchanged the club. I am still dealing with the dreaded slice occasionally and I could also work on hitting the sweetspot better. (lots of clubhead speed is worthless without hitting the sweet spot and squaring the clubhead up) therefore I know i'm doing something wrong with my swing. I was more or less wondering if this rip 60 shaft shaft could be played well with the above clubhead speed.

Originally Posted by Golfnewb

Yes that is my swing speed. I am not saying I am a great golfer I still have a lot to work on. I went to golfsmith to get fitted for clubs and said I was a beginner and recorded 120 mph. I thought to myself this might be off and got lessons from golftec as I felt lessons are the best thing I can do for myself and recorded up to 127 mph with a 290 carry. I felt my octane with project x 5.5 was way to whippy and I got way to much lift with the 10.5 so I exchanged the club. I am still dealing with the dreaded slice occasionally and I could also work on hitting the sweetspot better. (lots of clubhead speed is worthless without hitting the sweet spot and squaring the clubhead up) therefore I know i'm doing something wrong with my swing. I was more or less wondering if this rip 60 shaft shaft could be played well with the above clubhead speed.

Well ideally you wanna play the least stiff shaft you can get away with without accuracy suffering. The 2.9 is a very low kick point so it will give a lower ball flight. but honestly if your 120 plus swing speed you need a x-stiff shaft.

Drivers: Titleist 913 D2 Aldila phenom
Fairway Woods: Titleist 910F-d
Fairway Woods: Titleist 909 F3 or

Hybrid: Taylormade tp 18 or Mp fli hi 2 iron 
Irons: Mizuno MP-52 3-pw
Wedges: TaylorMade RAC Z TP
Putters: Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #2
Golf Bags: Titleist Blue cart bag

Shoes: Footjoy Dry joys

Golf Balls: Titleist Pro v1x

Thank you for your reply. I'll look into a x-stiff, I still feel this rip 60 shaft seems whippy however it is much better then the project x 5.5 which was a inch longer (longer length making it less stiff)  The kick point being low for me should be good. I was getting way to much lift with a 10.5 and the project x. I actually just went to the range to try the new club and the rip 60 and the 9.5 loft really kept the ball lower and straighter instead of bombing the ball straight up and to the right like with my old club.

so in your one week of playing golf you (1) have taken golftec lessons, (2) have been fitted for clubs and (3) are able to carry your driver 290?  oh, and after just one week you're "dealing with the dreaded slice occasionally ?"  Now that's impressive.

Ya but let me start by saying my putting is not good, my short game is not good. I hit the irons well but I don't have the ability to just dial up a desired shot. I can hit it straight with irons and occasionally the club head can be slightly open or closed and ill get a push or pull. With the driver I may get a pull but never a hook and I get mostly pushes and on occasion can get a slice. I don't see the problem with getting golf tec lessons and getting fitted for clubs so I have the proper equipment. And the carry of 290 was my best shot most my carries were 270. And in that one week ive played one game and gone to the range every day. I got my lesson on day 6 of starting after going to the range on my own for 6 straight days.

Wow. In my first week of golf (20 years ago). I remember playing like Adam Levin!

Sign this guy up for the tour!

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your golf experience.

Your driver speed may shock a lot of us old guys on here, but I know that what you are saying is possible.

During my son's junior year of highschool (who is a college decathalete now) he golfed three times and had an ungodly amount of swingspeed. Of course, he is an amazing athlete - strength, speed, and flexibility. He mocked me often after jacking my Taylormade r9 driver with a stiff f1 shaft 300+ yards.

Can't wait to see your video!

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

It's perfectly possible to have a high swing speed and still be a terrible all around golfer. And just because a guy can outhit you by 3 sets of tees doesn't make him better. The only difference for high swing speed players is it's harder to get instruction and it's way more expensive and difficult to get fitting equipment. I know this from experience and I hope I win the lottery this week because I need a full set reshaft and a new head style on my irons, as well as a real fitting. That's so not happening unless I win... It sucks. Plus all the advice is geared towards fat old slicers.

It really doesn't take much of a swing to get over the tour average swing speed if you're a good athlete and have some decent fundamentals. Hitting it where you aim, with consistent contact and distance control is a life's work. I'm a lot more skeptical of a new player's definition of "pretty straight" than I am of his distances.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess the OP must be a natural athelete, because for most folks, high swing speed goes away the faster they try to swing because they throw all their speed away at the top. High swing speed comes from proper use of the legs, core, and shoulders, proper timing, wide arc, and a good lag. These are things that are usually elusive to raw beginers...

I too am looking forward to his vid.

dak4n6

• 4 weeks later...

What luciuswooding said it exactly true. I wasn't trying to brag about my swing speed I just did not and still don't understand all of the concepts on what causes certain balls and wanted to see if a shaft that is not stiff enough could be an issue. When I said my ball flight was pretty straight that was my definition as a beginner meaning I wouldn't be so far off course that the ball would be playable, not dead center fairway. Yes I've played a few times and have played many shots in the ruff.  I posted a video of my swing with a 7 iron and posted it under the my swing section. I am not trying to kill the ball anymore and I am trying to swing at 80% as this game is about consistency not how far you can hit the ball. Any comments or advice on my iron shot is appreciated. I feel my backswing and shoulder turn may be excessive however I cannot figure out how to shorten this. Ive tried a glove under my right arm to check to see if I was flying my right elbow out allowing my to over extend my left arm above my head at the top of the backswing and Ive tried to shorten it by feel and when I think I've finally shortened the backswing I video it and its the exact same. Anyways feel free to comment and criticize. Thank you.

I think I've seen this movie.  Has Odyssey made you a hockey stick inspired putter yet?

• Upvote 1

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Note: This thread is 3796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!