IGNORED

Back yard putting green - design input wanted

VMAN
Note: This thread is 3156 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This gave me a mega golf-boner.

Driver :: Cobra AMP 55g Stiff

3 Wood :: Cobra AMP 55g Stiff

4-9, PW, GW, SW :: Cobra AMP Steel

Putter :: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth

Ball ::   

Bag :: Puma Orange Formation Stand Golf Bag

Originally Posted by camper6

You just don't go ahead and lay the synthetic turf down.

You have to consider drainage etc.

I don't know if this site allows links to commercial establishments but if you google this you will get a you tube video on how it's done.

diy synthetic putting green installation

Pretty sure I could handle it....but we hired Southwest greens.

Originally Posted by VMAN

Pretty sure I could handle it....but we hired Southwest greens.

Don't forget to send us a picture when the installation is complete.

Originally Posted by camper6

Don't forget to send us a picture when the installation is complete.

I'll do my best to document.  As that is what I was looking for during my internet search.  I found some neat ones and some not so neat ones.

This project has been a couple of years in the dreaming stages, I'm starting to get pretty excited.

Well...It's on the way.

Step one I had to remove two to three inches of soil and weeds.  Used my guys and equipment for that part.

The green is going on the far end by the fence for the vegetable garden!

- IMG_0633.JPG

This thread has actually given me something to think about. I actually have an area in our back yard that is good size which currently doesn't have grass but could be turned into something like this. Wonder if it could be some sort of DIY project....

Diy possible for sure, if you have the time and the back for it.  I've got the back, but not the time.  My personal projects always take too much time.

Next step, hardware cloth to protect against the gophers that love my yard and then base rock and then a finer base rock.  The green is painted out on the end, it's about 400 sf.  Which seems about the right size to practice.  A couple of feet more around wouldn't make much of a difference it seems.  We would need to make it much bigger to get more cup and or more slopes.  - IMG_0646.JPG  - IMG_0647.JPG

On top of the base rock the fines are laid.  This is the final grading for the lawn and the start of the contouring for the green.  The green will get an additional pad prior to the synthetic turf.

- IMG_0648.JPG  - IMG_0652.JPG

the open space with the stake is going to be for a fire pit and seating around it.

Tomorrow we fine tune the green and set the cups!

• Upvote 1

- IMG_0656.JPG  - IMG_0655.JPG

Starting to take shape.  next is the sand infill, regular sand followed by colored green sand.  It's going to run around 10 which is about my home course on regular days.

We did pretty much what we thought with regards to the slopes.  You can get a r to l and l to r and some straight.

These guys sweat the details, we picked the right company if you ask me.

I have a few more pics to post when I get a chance. But we had a lot of fun this weekend. I've been practicing a little every day and I can already see the difference in my putting. I think that with a kittle practice discipline that this will be great for my game. Pitches and chips also work great. But having a perfectly flat spot to practice 10' and in is great and the green is large enough to play some fun games with guests.

2012-05-11 12-41-36 - IMG_0027.JPG 2012-05-11 17-00-09 - IMG_0029.JPG

Here they are rolling the green and back dragging the sand infill.  Final shot is the finished product.  We ended up placing a mound near the fence between two cups to create some breaking putts and add some visual interest and there is also a very small slope on the other side.  This green also rolls nicer than any other synthetic green I've putted on, it's uncanny, the feel.   If I was to decide on a company to do this I would choose the same.

I've been putting 10 to 15 minutes a day, mainly 4 to 6 feet.  I can already tell a difference in my game and confidence level on the course with my putting stroke.  We also had a lot of fun over the weekend playing putting and chipping games.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:  It's been a couple of weeks and this is awesome!  I probably putt five to ten minutes a day while I'm watering the garden and I can already see a difference in my game.  Especially for those 3 to 5 footers.  The green is just large enough to make some fun games with my buddies.  I've chipped to it a couple of times and it accepts balls like a real green would.

Overall, I'm still very impressed and it has exceeded my expectations.

Wow!!! I'm impressed. I started working on one myself today and I can only hope that it turns out like that. Of course I'm on a tight budget so it probably won't. Looks incredible man, have fun!

Note: This thread is 3156 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!