IGNORED

Tiger "tantrum" Woods

Sandwedge74
Note: This thread is 4352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hi - all just curious to see your thoughts -

He really put on a display of frustration at the Masters. Thrown clubs, Kicked Clubs, curses and he took a divot out of one the Par 5 tee boxes with his 3 wood.  Really ugly stuff - my own thoughts are that he needs to master his mental game in order to master his golf game - I think the tail may be wagging the dog here..

Curious what do you all think?

I attached an article - one of many already written but this one more or less sums up the others I saw.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/07/masters-fans-not-thrilled-tiger-woods-tantrum-video_n_1410326.html

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

he no longer has that killer instinct. I'm sure the scandals have effected his mentality like they would anyone. Players no longer fear Tiger. I would like to see him win a couple more events on tour before the next major.

I couldn't give two hoots as long as he's not hitting balls off beer cans without a shirt on. Nobody gets hurt. I'm sick and tired of all the "This is THE MASTERS" crap. It's a major yes, and it's a special course, but in the end, it's just another golf tournament. As far as course conduct does, I don't expect to see anything different on Augusta than at the Waste Management. And don't act like Tiger is the only one swearing and getting angry out there. We just see it because his face is plastered over the screens every single time he plays golf. [quote name="Sandwedge74" url="/t/56978/tiger-tantrum-woods#post_698173"] and he took a divot out of one the Par 5 tee boxes with his 3 wood.[/quote] Since when is that not allowed? Not sure if that one was ironic. [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v;=dxs0oMwKWNk[/VIDEO]

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I, for one, am totally against his antics on the course but you won't get much support on here. Tiger can do no wrong in the eyes of most people.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

I, for one, am totally against his antics on the course but you won't get much support on here. Tiger can do no wrong in the eyes of most people.

You have mine. For the face of the franchise he's a bit of a whiner and a diva. He's the Sidney Crosby of golf.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

You have mine. For the face of the franchise he's a bit of a whiner and a diva. He's the Sidney Crosby of golf.

I'd just like to make it clear I am not a Tiger hater, I think all pro golfers should attempt to restrain themselves while in the public eye.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by binga7

he no longer has that killer instinct. I'm sure the scandals have effected his mentality like they would anyone. Players no longer fear Tiger.

I would like to see him win a couple more events on tour before the next major.

He seemed to have plenty of 'killer instinct' at Bay Hill. I also don't think the scandals have anything to do with how he's playing now. But players not fearing Tiger - I agree with that. Why would they?

I am far from a Tiger apologist, as he does do things on the course that he shouldn't, but I think there's the opposite side of this issue, and that is, anything he does is magnified because of who he is. I would be willing to bet that he wasn't the only player this week that kicked a club after a poor shot. But since it's Tiger it's an issue. I am sure he wasn't the only player that said 'Goddammit' after a shot. But since it's Tiger it's an issue.

If you don't believe me, just look at the title of this thread.

I mean, let's say oh....Fred Funk (just pulling out a name here) kicked a club. Think we'd have a thread titled Fred 'Fuming' Funk?

It's not that "He can do no wrong".  It's that he is on camera always.  I am absolutely certain that there were other displays from other players these last three days, but they were not shown.  Should he do it, no.  Should he be held to a higher standard than the rest, no again.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Sean, you've really lost your edge if you think that's gonna work. Weak sauce, man.

Originally Posted by Sandwedge74

He really put on a display of frustration at the Masters. Thrown clubs, Kicked Clubs, curses and he took a divot out of one the Par 5 tee boxes with his 3 wood.  Really ugly stuff - my own thoughts are that he needs to master his mental game in order to master his golf game - I think the tail may be wagging the dog here..

Curious what do you all think?

I'm curious, Sandwedge74: where's your thread about Henrik Stenson's tirade on the 18th on day one? Or the other golfers who have thrown hissy fits over the years?

And "he took a divot out of one of the par 5 tee boxes with his 3 wood"? Seriously? In what way exactly does that violate ANY code of ethics or responsibility? Tiger often takes divots - as do several other pros - with their fairway metals, hybrids, irons, etc.

I think you're reaching because you seem to hate Tiger Woods. I just locked a thread you started the last time you didn't like something Tiger Woods did (when questioned about the Haney book by Miceli) because you revived it to curse after a month of inactivity.

Look within, padawan. You only ever seem to come here to post when Tiger ticks you off.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Tiger can do no wrong in the eyes of most people.

That's ridiculous. There is not a Tiger fan in the world who approves of his serial adultery, nor his f-bombs, nor his nine-iron drop kicks. The difference is that we watch him because we want to see great golf, not because we want to see a saint on the golf course. Tiger's way of dealing with a bad shot is to immediately throw a mini-tantrum and then forget about it, and over the years, it seems to have worked pretty well. A lot of players hit a bad shot and don't say a word, don't throw a club, don't get over it, and never win a thing. As for another post about Tiger losing his killer instinct and intimidation factor, IMO those are just synonyms for "game." If Tiger gets his game back and starts winning consistently again, then the reporters will start writing about how his killer instinct is back, and how he's intimidating again. All that's really happening is that he's playing better --- better than anyone else ever has.

And "he took a divot out of one of the par 5 tee boxes with his 3 wood"? Seriously? In what way exactly does that violate ANY code of ethics or responsibility? Tiger often takes divots - as do several other pros - with their fairway metals, hybrids, irons, etc.

I assumed he meant that Tiger swatted at the ground in anger after his actual tee shot. I didn't see him do it this week, but he's done it before. Exactly like Stenson did a couple days ago, after he topped his shot out of the pine straw. Exactly like Davis Love did at Bay Hill several years ago, when he broke a sprinkler and flooded the area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I'd just like to make it clear I am not a Tiger hater, I think all pro golfers should attempt to restrain themselves while in the public eye.

I didnt' suggest you were and don't claim to be one either. I'm also not an apologist.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I am sure he wasn't the only player that said 'Goddammit' after a shot. But since it's Tiger it's an issue.

I heard Kuchar say "aye-yi-yi" after a bad shot yesterday. And my kids are still in therapy over the jeepers-bomb he dropped last year.

Originally Posted by brocks

That's ridiculous. There is not a Tiger fan in the world who approves of his serial adultery, nor his f-bombs, nor his nine-iron drop kicks.

Check out this below, brocks.

Originally Posted by iacas

And "he took a divot out of one of the par 5 tee boxes with his 3 wood"? Seriously? In what way exactly does that violate ANY code of ethics or responsibility? Tiger often takes divots - as do several other pros - with their fairway metals, hybrids, irons, etc.

Erik, you know perfectly well what the TS is referring to.

Quote:

I didnt' suggest you were and don't claim to be one either.

I know and good for you.

Originally Posted by brocks

I heard Kuchar say "aye-yi-yi" after a bad shot yesterday. And my kids are still in therapy over the jeepers-bomb he dropped last year.

Now you are just being silly.

Check out this below, brocks.

Again, it seems clear to me that they are talking about two different things. Iacas thought (I assume) that the other fellow was talking about taking a divot during his tee shot, not during a tantrum.

• Administrator

Erik, you know perfectly well what the TS is referring to.

Apparently I didn't.

I didn't watch Tiger's round yesterday. I was shopping, and "divots" are taken by swings. Tiger somewhat famously takes divots with is 3W tee shots, so I thought that's what he meant.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Apparently I didn't.

I didn't watch Tiger's round yesterday. I was shopping, and "divots" are taken by swings. Tiger somewhat famously takes divots with is 3W tee shots, so I thought that's what he meant.

It was after he snap hooked his tee shot on 13, he slammed his club into the ground taking out a sizeable divot.

Note: This thread is 4352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!