IGNORED

Tiger "tantrum" Woods

Sandwedge74
Note: This thread is 4351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Sandwedge74

This was written in response to the "divot with his 3 wood on the par 5 tee box...sorry I should have been more clear - the divot he made was NOT from a golf swing...it was from slamming his 3 wood into the ground out of anger.

We figured that out, yes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

Sean, you've really lost your edge if you think that's gonna work. Weak sauce, man.

I'm curious, Sandwedge74: where's your thread about Henrik Stenson's tirade on the 18th on day one? Or the other golfers who have thrown hissy fits over the years?

And "he took a divot out of one of the par 5 tee boxes with his 3 wood"? Seriously? In what way exactly does that violate ANY code of ethics or responsibility? Tiger often takes divots - as do several other pros - with their fairway metals, hybrids, irons, etc.

I think you're reaching because you seem to hate Tiger Woods. I just locked a thread you started the last time you didn't like something Tiger Woods did (when questioned about the Haney book by Miceli) because you revived it to curse after a month of inactivity.

Look within, padawan. You only ever seem to come here to post when Tiger ticks you off.

two things -

read my post - I am simply curious to see what you all think - I am not a Tiger hater - why is that I am not allowed to question anything about what he does without being completely beat up here.

Second - he took a divot by slamming his 3 wood into the ground. not from a golf swing. \

Clearly - this forum is so tiger biased that even I ask what other sand trappers think - I am immediately branded a Tiger Hater

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

• Administrator

read my post - I am simply curious to see what you all think - I am not a Tiger hater - why is that I am not allowed to question anything about what he does without being completely beat up here.

In what way are you "being completely beat up here"? Some people are disagreeing with you?

Where's your post about Henrik Stenson? Perhaps you sound like a "Tiger hater" because of the topics you choose to start and the words you use in them?

Originally Posted by Sandwedge74

Second - he took a divot by slamming his 3 wood into the ground. not from a golf swing.

Read my post one or two posts up. We know.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

two things -

Second - he took a divot by slamming his 3 wood into the ground. not from a golf swing. \

Clearly - this forum is so tiger biased that even I ask what other sand trappers think - I am immediately branded a Tiger Hater

I guess it would be that you are talking about his club kicking abilities instead of why he hit that bad shot in the first place. Since you have previously singled him out for behavior instead of analyzing what he is doing to make himself mad enough to do what he did. The topic has already been wore out a ton of times.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I guess it would be that you are talking about his club kicking abilities instead of why he hit that bad shot in the first place. Since you have previously singled him out for behavior instead of analyzing what he is doing to make himself mad enough to do what he did. The topic has already been wore out a ton of times.

yea, I can see that. I have been this forum for a few years but only used the Market place - this is my first foray into to commenting on the tour and trust me this is the last Tiger post I will ever write!

Iacas, Just to be clear, if I saw Stenson or ANY OTHER GOLFER my thoughts and opinions would BE EXACTLY THE SAME. This is my point. it's not that it's Tiger so much as that it's happening at all - I think it's disgusting behavior for a pro golfer to display whether it's Tiger, Stenson or some guy missing a missing a cut on the Nationwide tour.  I grew up in a golf household and as a kid was taught NEVER to behave like this on a golf course NO MATTER what. I never saw my heroes acting like this. (couples, Singh, Palmer etc etc)  Now, this doesn't mean they didn't - I just never saw it so I have no reason to make claims that they did.

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

yea, I can see that. I have been this forum for a few years but only used the Market place - this is my first foray into to commenting on the tour and trust me this is the last Tiger post I will ever write!

Iacas, Just to be clear, if I saw Stenson or ANY OTHER GOLFER my thoughts and opinions would BE EXACTLY THE SAME. This is my point. it's not that it's Tiger so much as that it's happening at all - I think it's disgusting behavior for a pro golfer to display whether it's Tiger, Stenson or some guy missing a missing a cut on the Nationwide tour.  I grew up in a golf household and as a kid was taught NEVER to behave like this on a golf course NO MATTER what. I never saw my heroes acting like this. (couples, Singh, Palmer etc etc)  Now, this doesn't mean they didn't - I just never saw it so I have no reason to make claims that they did.

So then you should have picked a different title and not singled anyone out.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

lol @ iacus getting all touchy over people mentioning the divot. Dude, YOU missed it, so stop behaving like a butthurt child.

I grew up in a golf household and as a kid was taught NEVER to behave like this on a golf course NO MATTER what. I never saw my heroes acting like this. (couples, Singh, Palmer etc etc)  Now, this doesn't mean they didn't - I just never saw it so I have no reason to make claims that they did.

A coiple of good Youtube clips you probably don't want to see, then, especially with then sound up.

Or the one of Els throwing a club at his caddy.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Plox

lol @ iacus getting all touchy over people mentioning the divot. Dude, YOU missed it, so stop behaving like a butthurt child.

Uhm, yeah, cuz that's what happened.

If you want to punish all the guys that throw tantrums change the thread name and we can bash all the guys who threw tantrums this week.  If you want to single out Tiger, then own your dislike of Tiger and have a Tiger bashing party.

Golfers are human and now they are also athletes.  They are playing for a lot of money, prestige and in some cases their pro cards.  Do they sometimes show poor sportsmanship, act like spoiled kids, and not stand up to the ridiculous high standards we've set for pro golfers, yes sometimes.  Golf is a gentlepersons sport, but it's a sport and I'd rather see a bunch of athletes busting their ass trying to win than some stuffed shirts who don't seem to care about how they play or where they finish.

We all know Payne and ANGC has an issue with Tigers handling of his personal life so is it really a shock they'd single him out over the others?

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

I'm not a Tiger apologist or a Tiger lover.  When he's good, he's great to watch because of some amazing things he can do.  When he's playing poorly, he's just like any other golfer having a bad day. Meh.

It is a display of poor sportsmanship but his actions do get multiplied by 100 because he's always on TV and being talked about.  Joe Blow amateur who qualified for the Masters gets upset, breaks his club, and cusses up a firestorm and nobody gives a rats @$$ because nobody outside of his immediate family cares that he's even at the tournament.  So there is a double standard when it comes to people criticizing Tiger because he is so visible compared to every other golfer. Everyone knows what he did was wrong (even kids) and that you shouldn't do it. Nobody with any sense is going to go out and kick their clubs just because they saw Tiger do it.

If the PGA, USGA, ANGC, etc, really wanted to clean up the game they would write rules against it and give penalties, etc but that will never happen. If they wanted to stop hearing players cuss, they would take the mic'd up tee boxes away, but they will never do that because they LOVE it. Sports are driven by cold hard dirty money and the PGA really doesn't care if Tiger gets pissy and throws his clubs if it causes more people to tune in.  Privately, I'm sure they want more golfers to show emotion, cuss, and throw clubs as that would cause more people to watch, and talk about it the next day on all the sports shows. If nobody is talking about you, you aren't making money.  Tiger kicking his club was probably the best thing to happen for golf outside of him winning the tournament.  In two weeks, nobody is going to care that Bubba Watson won the tournament, but they will still be talking about Tiger's poor sportsmanship and waiting to tune in for Tiger's next club punting session.  People who absolutely HATE Tiger will tune in to watch him hopefully fail and have a meltdown and the PGA will love every second because you are watching.

So everyone needs to calm down and take it for what it is: ENTERTAINMENT.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Originally Posted by Zeph

And don't act like Tiger is the only one swearing and getting angry out there. We just see it because his face is plastered over the screens every single time he plays golf.

[if IE]>

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

And I find it incredibly hypocritical when some folks demand that a professional athlete never curse or show negative emotions when that hypocrite likely has cursed or shown negative emotion when making a mistake during his average, every-day job that may not have a million dollars riding on it.

Agreed 100%.  If someone made a mistake that cost your company a very high profile (well paying) client, I'm guessing most people would be cussing and might throw things...but then again, some people on here are perfect and never make mistakes...oh wait...

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Yeah, just about every executive in my company could make Tiger Woods look like a church boy, lol.

Originally Posted by RichWW2

Agreed 100%.  If someone made a mistake that cost your company a very high profile (well paying) client, I'm guessing most people would be cussing and might throw things...but then again, some people on here are perfect and never make mistakes...oh wait...

It's not even that, really.  It's that a lot of people hate him, and thus use "selective application" of this "must use good manners and show no emotion at all times" rule.  I see players drop clubs on bad swings, swing at the turf/sand/rough after bad shots, and curse aloud EVERY ROUND probably multiple times per round (although not always from the same person).  Nobody writes articles about that, and very few times do people start new threads about that.  But when Tiger does it, he's a poor role model and something drastic must be done to stop it before he ruins the entire world we live in and causes gas prices to go up even further.

Yep, that's pretty much my problem with situations like these too. It happens to be about Tiger most of the time since people don't care when others do stuff like this. When someone goes bat crap crazy like Sergio in the bunker, you might see a thread just for the amusement of it, but nothing like the stuff Tiger gets. The fact that he is on camera most of the time does not make the it easier. I respect that some don't like Tiger or care too much about him, but some go out of their way to make him look bad whenever he does something they don't like. It's not new, this happens all the time in other sports too. It's popular to dislike Barcelona since they have been so dominating the last years, even though they don't do too much that warrant it. (Though I must admit I don't care for the diving and acting out on the course from some players).

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Let's also remember Tiger is always under the microscope.  Less popular golfers don't get the camera coverage or airtime Tiger does so we have no idea how many of those other pro's are cussing and kicking their clubs after a bad shot.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Not as obscure as you think. Pretty good player back in the 1980s. I saw him play a few times & he definitely had a temper, and his signature move was to fling his putter at his caddy after holing out. But it wasn't an 'anger' move - it was a choreographed thing where he would whip it underhand to his caddy & the caddy would catch it in mid-air. Was kinda cool.

But if you want an obscure reference to a guy with a horrible temper, Google Ivan Gantz. Dude used to abuse himself - bang his head against trees, smack himself with his clubs, etc.

If I'm not mistaken, Green was in a pretty bad accident and lost both his girlfriend and dog.   Life has not been kind to Mr. Green.

I've never heard of Gantz but I do remember reading a lot about Tommy Bolt.   Apparently he was a legend when it came to tantrums and self abuse.   On of my favorites was a story about him going over to some kind of thorned bush and backhanding it repeatedly until his hand was bleeding profusely.   I believe he was heard to be saying "that will teach you to turn over".  Now that's harsh!

Sadly, no iPhones or video of that :P

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

I'm a fan of the game, and therefore of Tiger.  I saw the club kicking incident, I saw the "tee box" divot so frequently mentioned, and I saw the Stenson tantrum as well.  I think many of the posters here have the right of it - Tiger is a bit of a diva, and the problem is compounded by the amount of coverage he gets when he's playing.

However, what bothers me most about Tiger here isn't the incident itself, but his apparently lack of real remorse for losing his cool.  He seems to take his contention with the media to mean he isn't really answerable for the stupid things he does.  To wit, when asked about the golf club kicking incident, he seemed to try and justify it merely by saying, "Yeah I'm sorry, but...I was really frustrated out there."

All golfers get frustrated out there when they're not hitting shots they feel capable of hitting.  He once again missed the opportunity to show some class and to say with any sincerity, "I really shouldn't have behaved that way, that's not the appropriate way to handle failure, and I'm genuinely sorry for my loss of cool."

And did anybody else out there see his agent Steinberg standing in the background on camera mad dogging the journalist and shaking his head as if the guy was out of line?

Don't take this to mean I'm a Tiger hater.  Quite the opposite, I always root for him to contend and to play his best.  I don't really care if he curses, and loses his mind every once in a while.  It's normal.  I just think he needs to show the game more respect, and own up to it when he f*cks up.

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

Note: This thread is 4351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!