IGNORED

Tiger "tantrum" Woods

Sandwedge74
Note: This thread is 4373 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by bwdial

When I look at the situation, I don't really care what four letter words he uses, if he throws his clubs or if he empties his bag into Rae's Creek.  What I see is a once great golfer who was the ultimate control freak, completely out of control.  Why do children, teenagers and full grown adults throw temper tantrums?  Mainly, because they feel a complete lack of control.  Right now, Tiger doesn't really have a handle on his game, so when things go wrong, he lets it wreck his day.  The old Tiger would have dropped an 'f' bomb and moved on.  Now that neatly compartmentalized life he was leading before November of 2010 is in total disarray.  His swing, short-game and putting is also in disarray, and he is letting it get the best of him.

He kicked the club and moved on. His "tantrum" lasted roughly two seconds. Then, like in years past, it was forgotten and he moved on. He talks about giving himself ten seconds to be mad, or ten steps, and then letting it go completely. That's precisely what he seems to have done this time too. Your bold comment above makes no sense. He basically did that - he "moved on" very quickly.

David Feherty said if he hadn't seen a reaction from Tiger after that shot on 16 (because of that shot and all the ones prior), THEN he'd have thought something was wrong.

Also, I don't know about "disarray." He won at Bay Hill two weeks ago.

It was November 2009 btw. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I heard it reported that Tiger said the old swing was creeping in on his new swing.  By old I'm not sure if he meant Haney or Harmon.

Originally Posted by mchepp

Wait, wait, Tiger played in the Masters? I never saw him.

Yeah I know it was a bad joke

But the real question is what happened mechanically between Bay Hill and Augusta? At Augusta we got last August Tiger. I think he was not comfortable hitting a draw with his new pattern. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Maybe the wrong thread, but discussing his temper is a waste of time. Golf is frustrating.

Joe Paradiso

Maybe the wrong thread, but discussing his temper is a waste of time. Golf is frustrating.

During my round yesterday I crossed paths with a gentleman who makes Tiger Woods look like Jason Dufner.  I first noticed him when I was approaching the tee box at #2 and he was teeing off at #18, which are adjacent to each other.  He topped his ball while I was placing my tee and I just heard "WHAT THE F***?!?  GODDAMIT THAT IS BULLSH**!" When I looked up I noticed he had thrown his driver back towards his golf cart about 10 yards away.

I laughed and got ready to hit my shot.  After I tee off I now hear him hitting his 2nd shot (about 15 yards from the place he teed off from) and he yells out "HOW THE F*** DOES IT GO THAT WAY?"

Now I'm thinking this guy is a wacko.  But then I head down the fairway to find my ball.  My fairway is facing the opposite direction of his fairway.  We are now about 250-300 yards away from each other when I hear a distant "F***!"  I knew it had to be him, but I could no longer see him.  I just pictured Stenson trying to punish the pine needles multiple times with his club.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I heard it reported that Tiger said the old swing was creeping in on his new swing.  By old I'm not sure if he meant Haney or Harmon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchepp View Post

Wait, wait, Tiger played in the Masters? I never saw him.

Yeah I know it was a bad joke

But the real question is what happened mechanically between Bay Hill and Augusta? At Augusta we got last August Tiger. I think he was not comfortable hitting a draw with his new pattern. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I did see an interview where Tiger gave that "old patterns" answer, the reporter asked him "what exactly?" and Tiger declined to answer. I am not certain that he really believes this, but just says it as a convenient excuse.

Michael

I did see an interview where Tiger gave that "old patterns" answer, the reporter asked him "what exactly?" and Tiger declined to answer. I am not certain that he really believes this, but just says it as a convenient excuse.

The next day he was asked the same question.  He just said "old patterns" again.  Then the guy asked, "by old, do you mean  the Hank Haney swing?"  And Tiger responded in the affirmative.  He said something like, "the Haney backswing, and the Foley downswing.  It doesn't work very well."

Brandon

Conflicting swings. When he's under pressure or plays in an important tournament, the old swing comes back into play. You could see him hitting his old bad shots, pushes and pull-hooks. Both caused by a swing path going too much in-out. A result of him getting "stuck". He also said that he'd been working a lot on the short game coming up to the Masters and the takeaway from his short game started creeping into his full swings. At Bay Hill he was able to focus on his swing mechanics and not get in his head too much. He probably tried this at Augusta too, but there may be subconscious elements that are hard to control. He needs more reps to ingrain the new swing.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by bplewis24

The next day he was asked the same question.  He just said "old patterns" again.  Then the guy asked, "by old, do you mean  the Hank Haney swing?"  And Tiger responded in the affirmative.  He said something like, "the Haney backswing, and the Foley downswing.  It doesn't work very well."

Brandon

Heh, he should try Bubba's approach. He uses the Bubba backswing & the Bubba downswing.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Quote:

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Brandon

Heh, he should try Bubba's approach. He uses the Bubba backswing & the Bubba downswing.

He could always try and groove the Tiger swing (the one he uses on recovery shots).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Conflicting swings. When he's under pressure or plays in an important tournament, the old swing comes back into play. You could see him hitting his old bad shots, pushes and pull-hooks. Both caused by a swing path going too much in-out. A result of him getting "stuck". He also said that he'd been working a lot on the short game coming up to the Masters and the takeaway from his short game started creeping into his full swings. At Bay Hill he was able to focus on his swing mechanics and not get in his head too much. He probably tried this at Augusta too, but there may be subconscious elements that are hard to control. He needs more reps to ingrain the new swing.

To me, this is exactly why Hank felt he had to write the book. He goes into great detail to say that when Tiger would work on his own he would fall into this pattern and that the stuck move was not the "Haney" swing but when Tiger started working on his own thing. Of course we cannot be sure of this, but as with most things there are always 2 sides to the story.

Michael

OK, I will confess I am a Tiger disliker (I feel 'hater' is too strong a word - I wouldn't devote that much energy or care to hating someone who plays a game). I always hear how good Tiger is for the game, but I feel his arrogance, attitude, and behavior are bad for the game. It's becoming another thugged-out sport. Soon we're going to be seeing NFL touchdown dances after birdies.

dak4n6

OK, I will confess I am a Tiger disliker (I feel 'hater' is too strong a word - I wouldn't devote that much energy or care to hating someone who plays a game). I always hear how good Tiger is for the game, but I feel his arrogance, attitude, and behavior are bad for the game. It's becoming another thugged-out sport. Soon we're going to be seeing NFL touchdown dances after birdies.

You mean like this? [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQTuLQxlYAI[/VIDEO]

Originally Posted by dak4n6

I'm not really sure how golf is becoming a "thugged out sport" and, if it is, what Tiger had to do with it.  If you're concerned about wild outfits and massive, flat-brimmed hats, then talk to Rickie Fowler or Hunter Mahan.  If you're concerned about dudes wearing saggy britches and flashing white-boy gang signs in their off-time, then talk to Nick Watney.  If you're concerned about bringing the game to inner city youth, then talk to a priest--because that says much more about you than it does about golf, or Tiger.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Yeah, I'll bet Stenson and Garcia are often mistaken for "thugs."

Brandon

Originally Posted by k-troop

If you're concerned about wild outfits ...

C'mon now, let's give John Daly his fair share of the credit for this.

Brandon

Tiger is a thug???? Really???  I don't know where you come from but here in NY, Tiger is considered a nerd.  I've never seen Tiger do anything that would even hint at him being a thug.

Joe Paradiso

Bubba Watson, straight thuggin'. Give me a break man.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Tiger is a thug???? Really???  I don't know where you come from but here in NY, Tiger is considered a nerd.  I've never seen Tiger do anything that would even hint at him being a thug.

Everybody knows that thugs regularly toss their golf clubs after poor shots, duh!

Note: This thread is 4373 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!