IGNORED

The 2012 Heritage at Harbour Town Discussion Thread

k-troop
Note: This thread is 4363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm pretty impressed with how easy of a day Carl Petterson had himself yesterday.  Very much the opposite of what a lot of 54 hole leaders have been doing on Sunday this season.  Nothing at all against him, but I was kinda hoping for a little bit of a collapse just to make it more interesting.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Dude, you are ridiculous.

1) That girl is hot and if her father wants to put pictures of her on this site, I for one won't complain.

2) How is it bad for golf to have a fat guy win a tournament? If anything, I would say it's GOOD for the sport. It gives hope to all of us who don't have a perfect golfer physique that we can still be good at golf.

Does it make you feel better about yourself to go online and belittle other people? Stop criticizing the world dbag. Oh, and I bet you're a virgin.

Colt would have probably been recruited to SMU by Haney.  I'm guessing Colt hogged all the popsicles then, too.  Poor Hank.

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Well Shorty, the truth is you don't know the reason why Colt or anyone else for that matter is overweight or unhealthy. You just don't. I'm sorry, but obesity or being overweight is not only caused by gluttony or leading an unhealthy lifestyle.

I am not advocating not taking care of yourself or the other 20 rhetorical questions you felt the need to ask.

Bottom line is, you don't know so I would suggest not just presuming that you're correct.

My main argument is how stupid it is to say it's bad for the sport for a larger guy to win. Seriously.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by rossvanwyk

Well Shorty, the truth is you don't know the reason why Colt or anyone else for that matter is overweight or unhealthy. You just don't. I'm sorry, but obesity or being overweight is not only caused by gluttony or leading an unhealthy lifestyle.

Nonsense. This is the myth popularised in recent years that stops people owning their own behaviour.

There are two reasons for morbid obesity. Two reasons only.

1. Poor diet

2. Lack of exercise.

Knost is not sedentary, so one assumes it is too much food.

Anyone who brings up "genetics" won't mention that the solution there is to eat a healthy diet.

That is it.

There are a lot of excuses that people make (or other people make for them).

Go and see how many obese people yoiu see in Ethiopia.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Haha, I love how to state matter of factly, the 2 reasons and 2 reasons only for obesity. Like it's fact. A lot of symptoms and conditions such as underactive thyroids can casue weight problems amongst other things. My point is you don't know. You do not know Colt personally nor any factors surrounding his life or any of a million reasons how anyone can end up uhealthy or overweight or whatever the case may be.

But I reiterate, your dumbest comment was saying we don't need someone like Colt winning tournaments because it's bad for the sport.

But anyway, let the matter rest. I doubt you'll change your mind and it doesn't really matter in the end.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

People have no respect for a person who wins but doesn't fit their ideal golfer profile. Maybe it's the quality of the events they win?

One guy is too chubby (Carl is morbidly obese? Oh brother.) and someone else needs to "eat something".

It's not my "ideal golfer profile", Sean, it's my "avoid heart disease, diabetes, untimely death profile"

And it shouldn't be strange that a person with an eating disorder is also in need of a better diet - although, like the morbidly obese, there are are often psychiatric reasons surrounding it.

Carl is obese, but Colt is morbidly obese, which means that if he doesn't change his eating habits, he will most probably die for reasons related to his extreme weight.

Call it judgemental. The point is to promote discussion.

And I notice that in a country with such a massive problem with obesity (and apparently we are getting worse than the U.S. in this regard) there is a tendency to avoid the issue and defend it.

I challenge anyone on this forum to say that they would be unconcerned if a loved one of theirs had the same physical profile as Colt Knost.

Doesn't mean he's not a nice guy and a good player.

Oh and lastly, epic last sentence about seeing how many obese people you can see find in Ethiopia. Wow.

I'd like to see the percentage of healthy people you can find in Ethiopia. They are ravaged by so much poverty, disease and impossible living conditions. That really cannot be used as an argument and proof that not eating = a bunch of malnourished africans, therefore obesity is cured by not eating. Cos that's what that last sentence attempts to imply.

Haha, I love how to state matter of factly, the 2 reasons and 2 reasons only for obesity. Like it's fact. A lot of symptoms and conditions such as underactive thyroids can casue weight problems amongst other things. My point is you don't know. You do not know Colt personally nor any factors surrounding his life or any of a million reasons how anyone can end up uhealthy or overweight or whatever the case may be.

But I reiterate, your dumbest comment was saying we don't need someone like Colt winning tournaments because it's bad for the sport.

But anyway, let the matter rest. I doubt you'll change your mind and it doesn't really matter in the end.

It is a fact. We're taking about obesity, not carrying a few extra pounds. If you have thyroid issues , or are depressed and eat to comfort yourself, yes, you can put on weight if you don't modify your diet.
You also didn't read the context of my origianl comment about Knost winning.

We're talking about health and image here, not trying to make excuses for one of the biggest challenges the health industry faces.

I cahllenge you to say that if you had a spouse or child that looked like Knost you would not see the solution to their problem as primarily diet related.

Oh and lastly, epic last sentence about seeing how many obese people you can see find in Ethiopia. Wow.

I'd like to see the percentage of healthy people you can find in Ethiopia. They are ravaged by so much poverty, disease and impossible living conditions. That really cannot be used as an argument and proof that not eating = a bunch of malnourished africans, therefore obesity is cured by not eating. Cos that's what that last sentence attempts to imply.

I thought the point was pretty obvious. Obesity doesn't get "cured" by not eating in underdeveloped countries. It doesn't exist where there is not an abundance of food. A corrupt African politician might well be obese.

If food isn't the cause, where are the obese people who cannot afford to heat fatty crappy junk food in your country?

I'll make my point obvious again then as well. Just to be clear. You say what we don't need for this sport is someone overweight winning a tournament. Added to that the fact that again, you are not aware of anything about these people's lives. You are presuming they are gluttons with unhealthy lifestyles. But that's not always the truth. As much as you want to believe your facts and your 2 reasons for obesity, it's just not true.

I just didn't agree with you saying we don't need someone like Colt winning a tournament. I just don't agree with that statement.

Anyhow, this isn't about golf and we can let it be. All good.

I agree Shorty can be a bit harsh, but I don't think guys like Knost and Stadler help the overall image of golf.  If golf is considered a sport and golfers want to be seen as athletes then I'd think having a guy like Knost, Stadler or even Petterson on the cover of a golf magazine feeds into the image that golf is still played by mature, out of shape men.  While there are some medical reasons for someone to be obese they are rare and I doubt that Colt Knost or Kevin Stadler suffer from them given there's no mention anywhere about it.  Even the commentators on CBS referenced their unhealthy appearance towards the end of the tournament on Sunday.

I am not advocating not taking care of yourself or the other 20 rhetorical questions you felt the need to ask.

Bottom line is, you don't know so I would suggest not just presuming that you're correct.

My main argument is how stupid it is to say it's bad for the sport for a larger guy to win. Seriously.

Joe Paradiso

I'll make my point obvious again then as well. Just to be clear. You say what we don't need for this sport is someone overweight winning a tournament. Added to that the fact that again, you are not aware of anything about these people's lives. You are presuming they are gluttons with unhealthy lifestyles. But that's not always the truth. As much as you want to believe your facts and your 2 reasons for obesity, it's just not true.

I just didn't agree with you saying we don't need someone like Colt winning a tournament. I just don't agree with that statement.

Anyhow, this isn't about golf and we can let it be. All good.

I'm not going to disagree with your first point. When I made it, I was being provocative and there has been a healthy discussion. Good.

Regarding the second point - and, like you, I'm ending it here - any doctor will say that an obese person has to do two things.

1. Eat less

2. Move more.

The psychiatric/psychological reasons will be treated as well, but the fact is that you CAN NOT be obese if your diet is healthy and you exercise in harmony with you calorific intake.

As you probably know, the main cause these days is portion sizews being two or three time what they should be, so peole don't even realise that they are eating too much.

It is a problem, and I would bet my life that anyone on the planet would lose weight if they are under dietary supervision and don't have enablers who feed them and don't allow them to own their problem.

Noone is going to come on this forum and say that Colt Knost must, or even MAY have a healthy diet.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

If golf is considered a sport and golfers want to be seen as athletes then I'd think having a guy like Knost, Stadler or even Petterson on the cover of a golf magazine feeds into the image that golf is still played by mature, out of shape men.

That's pretty much what I was saying. I expected the apologists for obese people to chime in - but most have done so with reasoned comments and intelligent remarks.

Perception is everything.

Golf is not perceived as being cool.

This is why we need guys like Villegas to get his game back and for guys like Fowler to back up the image with the results.

Young players need to come into the game, and they need to see the game as something they think is cool.

If young players aren't replacing the older ones we have huge problems.

It's not enough to say that you don't care what young people think, because they are the future of the game and more and more courses will be ripped up if they aren't replacing retiring players.

As it is, many youngsters give up immediately because the game is too hard and they have been conditioned to think that you can be successful at anything just because you want success.

Understood, I hear you.

And really, I don't think the image of golf is that it is played by mature, out of shape men. In 2012..I really really have to disagree with that. I'd say more than most of the pro's we see week in and week out are in pretty good shape. If a guy can play good enough golf to win tournaments, that's what people are really there to see.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

People have no respect for a person who wins but doesn't fit their ideal golfer profile. Maybe it's the quality of the events they win?

One guy is too chubby (Carl is morbidly obese? Oh brother.) and someone else needs to "eat something".

It's not my "ideal golfer profile", Sean, it's my "avoid heart disease, diabetes, untimely death profile"

And it shouldn't be strange that a person with an eating disorder is also in need of a better diet - although, like the morbidly obese, there are are often psychiatric reasons surrounding it.

Carl is obese, but Colt is morbidly obese, which means that if he doesn't change his eating habits, he will most probably die for reasons related to his extreme weight.

Call it judgemental. The point is to promote discussion.

And I notice that in a country with such a massive problem with obesity (and apparently we are getting worse than the U.S. in this regard) there is a tendency to avoid the issue and defend it.

I challenge anyone on this forum to say that they would be unconcerned if a loved one of theirs had the same physical profile as Colt Knost.

Doesn't mean he's not a nice guy and a good player.

I couldn't pick Colt Knost out of a crowd (at least not at Walmart) so I have no comment on what he looks like, but I do know what Carl looks like. His BMI is certainly too high, but his appearance is also misleading due to unfortunate genetics (very chubby face / neck).

RE: The one who needs a meal. I didn't see the latest pic of her (with Gary Player), but yeah I see that now and it's a bit sad.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

first of all, that girl is perfect.

second, colt is fat.  period.  and the sport has a bad public image.  you are deluding yourself if you think that a good percentage (i would even say majority) of the non-golf playing public doesnt think that the typical golfer is a fat, 50 year old white guy.  we need more guys like camilo winning, not tim herron.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

second, colt is . . .

I'm surprised you care what a golfer looks like or does off the course. It's very contrary to things you've said in the past about Tiger Woods. If he'd managed to win, would you still think he needs to change for the image of the sport?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!