IGNORED

New irons advice

Note: This thread is 4038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Like I said earlier I AP2 just didnt work for me, I was just using them as a reference point for clubs that I have hit. And about getting a club with a deeper cavity, I hit the MP 53 perfectly fine so i wouldnt want to get a club with a deeper cavity than that (except i20). And for whatever reason i hit the Pro Combo Cbs pretty well too, so maybe my iron play isnt as weak as some of you are infering and that is partly my fault because there is not really a way to quantify ball striking. From the results of my first demo day with the Pro Combo cb, i might be left with a 20yd pitch instead of being on the fringe or a greenside bunker and my chipping and putting is good enough to save myself from these miss hit. But the reward is greater because at my demo day when i was striking the Pro Combo's clean they were spot on.

Just letting you know i understand that i have to get custom fitted so everyone who posts doesnt have to tell me to get the "right club for me"...I know. I have already been custom fitted for Mizuno and Titleist and they both recomended some form of S300 shafts. I thought it was wierd too but if thats what i need then thats what i will get.

Driver:  907 D1 (10.5*)

3 Wood:  Burner Superfast 2.0 (15*)

Hybrid:  Idea Pro Gold (21*)

Irons:  VR Pro Combo CB (3-PW)

Wedges:  VR Pro (52*,56*)

Putter: Method 004

Ball:  Penta

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

My Cleveland 2-iron is a SGI version - easier to hit than a blade 7-iron. I'm old school and stubborn, but I'm not an idiot.

I don't think you're an idiot.  I just think you're a bit grumpy.

And confused - how was I supposed to take your latest insult? Maybe you should add "lol" or "; p"

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I doubt he is any worse than me and I'm convinced its all about swing and fit  and not the specific club, unless he is having problems getting  the ball airborne.   If he struggled with a modern iron with a reasonable swing and swing speed,  it was either not fitted to him or the next club will be the same.

And confused - how was I supposed to take your latest insult? Maybe you should add "lol" or "; p"

Oh Sean, disgruntled as always...

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Quote:

Oh Sean, disgruntled as always...

As always? You just got here and seem to know me so well . . . weird.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

On the topic of what irons to buy, I agree with the earlier poster who said, if you struggle with consistent contact, stay with a more perimeter weighted CB style.  You can get a good set from just about every OEM company.  Also, if you fit the DG S300 XP, I believe that is the standard shaft paired with the Mizuno JPX series.  At least, that's the shaft in most of the used sets I've seen.  I don't own them myself, but I have recommended the JPX Pro irons to a couple of friends. Great Mizuno feel, with enough GI properties to keep the game fun.

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

Originally Posted by carrx

On the topic of what irons to buy, I agree with the earlier poster who said, if you struggle with consistent contact, stay with a more perimeter weighted CB style.  You can get a good set from just about every OEM company.  Also, if you fit the DG S300 XP, I believe that is the standard shaft paired with the Mizuno JPX series.  At least, that's the shaft in most of the used sets I've seen.  I don't own them myself, but I have recommended the JPX Pro irons to a couple of friends. Great Mizuno feel, with enough GI properties to keep the game fun.

I belive the XP shaft is a Mizuno standard, but if I am getting Mizuno I am getting MP 53.

I think true normal/off-the-rack shaft in the MP 53's is the non-XP DG. But it is not a big deal to special order and you may be ordering length and lie special anyway. I think the XP is the same price -- just takes a little while to get but no more than a custom ordered lie.

I know you will and have gotten fit. FYI, the shaft optimizer keeps recommending XP's for me. Several times over several months.I got them in my JPX 800 Pro's and found my flight a little too high for my liking. Just saying. Re-shafted them and picked up some MP53's for later in the season. Happy as a pig in slop.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

I think true normal/off-the-rack shaft in the MP 53's is the non-XP DG. But it is not a big deal to special order and you may be ordering length and lie special anyway. I think the XP is the same price -- just takes a little while to get but no more than a custom ordered lie.

I know you will and have gotten fit. FYI, the shaft optimizer keeps recommending XP's for me. Several times over several months.I got them in my JPX 800 Pro's and found my flight a little too high for my liking. Just saying. Re-shafted them and picked up some MP53's for later in the season. Happy as a pig in slop.

I noticed they launched incredibly high too, so i would like to get fitted from another OEM and see if they recommend something other than XP. I have read on other forums that Mizuno pushes the XP shaft. Unless someone can convince me that a incredibly high ball flight will help my game i probably wont get XP.

I loved the lighter weight of the XP's compared to the standard DG's that I had in my old clubs. I ended up with Project X and because they run so stiff, I could drop to their 5.0's which weigh in about the same as the XP's. I even soft stepped the 5.0's on my Pro's to allow for my early season slower swing. Did not SS them on the MP53's and also got flighted.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

You must have a higher swing speed than me. All i have read about project x is that it is for people with higher swing speeds. The Mizuno fitter also said it would be an option for me to soft step but everything i read said it creates a higher ball flight. So pretty much the fitter said i should get irons that go higher than farther with the combination of XP and soft stepping.

My drive SS is 99-103. PX is supposed to be higher than standard DG but lower spin (lower flight for me) than XP. Was the optimizer's second choice for me at 5.0.

• 11 months later...

The new 588 mb from cleveland.

The sneaky thing they did in the redesign is shown in Ralph Maltbys playability factors on his site. To help the ball fly, the vertical center of gravity is now lower than the 588 cb design, and Maltby has these blades in a game improvement category instead of conventional as the previous cg1 . Correspondingly you will see the 588 cb is a conventional category. I would have thought that would be reversed and consider these blades unique on this point.

These are now forged like Mizuno instead of cast, this makes for a smoother feel and you can bend them to tweak your distance needs. The previous offerings were all cast I believe.

The feedback/feel from a blade design will generally teach you more about your striking than anything I can think of save a laser or a coach.

Watch out for the shaft confusion/dilemma. Just make sure the bend points are similar enough in your set that you dont freak out and miss the simple things - like you have one swing but 14 clubs with up to 3 (high,mid,low) bend points. Hidden problems in different bendpoints can revolve around the math- you have 14*3=42 release combinations, 2/3 of which are wrong for you with your one unique swing. Blades too are often on stiffer shafts best used on modern wide soled sgi irons or hybrid designs.  They are not really aimed at those customers with a simpler game. Feel free to soft step your shafts or go down a flex to improve your game accuracy with blades. I profit from this stiffer is better thinking because I can buy all the x100 iron sets I want on ebay when it doesnt work out, pop the heads and resell the shafts to the next guy in line that has to test his ability to flight a ball with a piece of lumber.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Note: This thread is 4038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!