IGNORED

My golf game.

Note: This thread is 4283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

is horrible =)

So im new to the forum and i`ve posted a intro now its to the fun part.

I`m a pretty new golfer when it comes to frequency of playing. I`ve been playing for three years and i`ve always shit in the low 100's. I usually get about 5-6 times a year and go with my cop or fire fighter buddies and we get smashed. I use to always rent clubs and never took golf seriously but loved playing it. My golf game or perception on golf changed last xmas when my wife bought me a club set. Since jan i`ve been out about 7 times with another buddy of mine. We are sober when I play with him and we both have the same scores. Low 100s and i`ve broken high 90's once or twice. I always though about going to a pro but i`m not sure if i want to spend 100 bucks for a hr. ( i know its worth it). I`ve seen a lot of people post videos on here and I plan on video taping my self next time i`m at the range.

Speaking of the range. I have learned the hard way of playing a full 18. If I start missing shots (which I do a lot) I try to adjust or try something new while im playing. i`ve realized this is a bad idea lol because i miss more shots.

When i first started playing golf I had a amazing drive. 280-300 yrs thats when I hit it correctly(or so i though)

My irons and short game sucked... I`d ethier worm burn it or top it 5 feet. For my pitching i`d ethier hit it like i should be wearing a purse or fly over the green to the next tee box. Its usually my short game that adds 1-2 strokes a hole. Or i miss that 10 ft putt.

As i`ve been reading and watching videos my irons got better, my drives slice,hook and not i drive as far as i can hit my 5 iron. My short game has been producing shots on the green.. Now instead of being over the green i`m about 5/10 on the green or i hit it to short. I love this game and i want to get better.

I already know I have some problems.... My grip... I can never find the same grip its all over the place... I also never swing the same way... When i top my irons or even drive it seems i am hitting the ground before impact... LOL..

If anyone has any advice ( i know see a pro) Any drills or any good videos that are free. Please feel free to let me know...

Also i`ve seen a lot of review for the simple golf swing or perfect golf swing.. 29 bucks... Are these programs any good..

Originally Posted by legion1202

is horrible =)

So im new to the forum and i`ve posted a intro now its to the fun part.

I`m a pretty new golfer when it comes to frequency of playing. I`ve been playing for three years and i`ve always shit in the low 100's. I usually get about 5-6 times a year and go with my cop or fire fighter buddies and we get smashed. I use to always rent clubs and never took golf seriously but loved playing it. My golf game or perception on golf changed last xmas when my wife bought me a club set. Since jan i`ve been out about 7 times with another buddy of mine. We are sober when I play with him and we both have the same scores. Low 100s and i`ve broken high 90's once or twice. I always though about going to a pro but i`m not sure if i want to spend 100 bucks for a hr. ( i know its worth it). I`ve seen a lot of people post videos on here and I plan on video taping my self next time i`m at the range.

Speaking of the range. I have learned the hard way of playing a full 18. If I start missing shots (which I do a lot) I try to adjust or try something new while im playing. i`ve realized this is a bad idea lol because i miss more shots.

When i first started playing golf I had a amazing drive. 280-300 yrs thats when I hit it correctly(or so i though)

My irons and short game sucked... I`d ethier worm burn it or top it 5 feet. For my pitching i`d ethier hit it like i should be wearing a purse or fly over the green to the next tee box. Its usually my short game that adds 1-2 strokes a hole. Or i miss that 10 ft putt.

As i`ve been reading and watching videos my irons got better, my drives slice,hook and not i drive as far as i can hit my 5 iron. My short game has been producing shots on the green.. Now instead of being over the green i`m about 5/10 on the green or i hit it to short. I love this game and i want to get better.

I already know I have some problems.... My grip... I can never find the same grip its all over the place... I also never swing the same way... When i top my irons or even drive it seems i am hitting the ground before impact... LOL..

If anyone has any advice ( i know see a pro) Any drills or any good videos that are free. Please feel free to let me know...

Also i`ve seen a lot of review for the simple golf swing or perfect golf swing.. 29 bucks... Are these programs any good..

I'd recommend checking out Bobby Clampett's book "The Impact Zone".  While it's not perfect I feel it's a great read for a beginning golfer as it doesn't get too technical and starts you with the putter then moves you back to chipping, pitching, and finally the full swing.  I wish it was around when I started to get serious about the game.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

1) read up on golf using all the free articles online you can find

2) get your swing recorded using a highspeed camera

3) self analyze and get others on here to analyze it

4) start improving.

the number one thing I haver ever learnt in golf is that perception is vastly different to reality,...

I always THOUGHT i swung the club a certain way,.....I actually didnt,...alot of the stuff i though i was doing i actually wasnt,....

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

I'd recommend checking out Bobby Clampett's book "The Impact Zone".  While it's not perfect I feel it's a great read for a beginning golfer as it doesn't get too technical and starts you with the putter then moves you back to chipping, pitching, and finally the full swing.  I wish it was around when I started to get serious about the game.

Good book. Get's you to understand the "what" very well, you'll still need lots of help with the "how" but it at least you'll know which direction you need to go.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Good book. Get's you to understand the "what" very well, you'll still need lots of help with the "how" but it at least you'll know which direction you need to go.

Totally agree.  It has some good drills in it, but it's the kind of stuff you have to play around with until you have your aha moment.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

• 3 months later...

Your short game and putting (inside the 100 yard marker) is something you can practice and perfect on your own. Just remember a good follow through is required for any good pitch or chip. I use a chipper (hireko true ace chipper) for chip and rolls from 3 yards off the green or within 40 feet from the pin. I use a flipper (hireko hk flipper from 40 yards from the pin). They are marvelous clubs once you understand they work like putters. The flipper requires a good follow through for it to fly and die. They work very well for me. I'm 61, 3 herniated discs, right knee bone to bone and I wear a knee brace called an unloader by Bregg. I shot 84 yesterday and 81 today.

I too had problems with slices on my drive. Cured it by properly lining up my shot first, taking a proper stance (not too wide) and placing the ball inside my left heel about 2 inches. Then the magic was to take a 3/4 back swing (club parallel with the ground or slightly more and "swinging at the ball, not hitting at it" with a full follow through ending up facing my target. Works every time.

Whenever I hit a hook it was noticed that I rolled my hands towards the target just before or at contact. Stopped that and now can hit it straight, although not your distance. I hit it 220 most of the time right down the center of the fairway. I just got tired of my high irons. My physical restraints don't allow me to hit them at all so I got a 5 hybrid, Taylor Made, used, for $45, at Golf smith. It is the most amazing club I have for par 3's and for fairway shots. I'm getting a 4 hybrid soon.

Lee Trevino was talking to a group of weekend golfers 25 plus years ago, here is what he said when asked what was the most important thing he could tell them.

First he said, lots of people play golf but not many know how to, by the rules.

For a weekender to shoot bogey or better golf by the USGA rules is equivalent to a pro shooting par, and pros play golf all year, it's their job.

He said if a person could learn to hit a club, any club, 150 yards plus bounce and roll, dead center of the fairway; and then, do the same at 140, 130, 120, etc. all the way down to 10 yards, they should be able to play a bogey or better game of golf every time. This assumes that they have also gotten their pitching, chipping and putting to an equal level.

He took a score card and asked someone to give him the par and yardage from the white tees for any hole. They picked out a par 4, 396 yards.

He explained that a 150 yard hit with bounce and roll, hit well, would net as much as 200 yards, dead center of the fairway. But he chose to use 175 yards for this example.

396 minus 175 leaves 221 yards to the hole.  221 minus 175 yards leaves 46 yards to the hole. With an average pitch you'll be set up to two put and you have just played bogey golf.

With some additional practice and with one getting 200 yards out of his or her first two shots (remember this is a 396 yard par 4) you'd be shooting at the green with your second shot from 196 yards out. Not bad? If you hit the green from 196 yards out, you may be able to two put and par the hole.

If you work on your chipping and pitching and putting, you may be able to pitch up close enough to the pin to give you many instances of one putting and shooting par.

This example was given to explain how unnecessary a long drive is for a weekend or casual golfer (one that plays 36 rounds of golf or less per year).

It's nice to hit it 280, I'm sure. But accuracy and being able to repeat a shot over and over again and again will have more of an effect on your final score than a few long drives, some that will wind up getting you into trouble, if you play by the rules.

A 520 yard par 5 would require 3 shots, each 175 yards and you would be on the green. Two put and you just parred a par 5.

It sounds simple, and it is.

My hybrid has been a stroke saver for me. Might not be for everyone because some folk think that if they knock the hell out of the ball on the tee that the rest of the hole will be easier. Not true.

Position in the fairway, consistency, and accuracy cannot be offset by a rocket launcher drive. That's not to say that if you can hit the ball 280, dead center of the fairway, that it won't help your game because it certainly will. Weekend golfers create more problems for themselves with wild drives than the few that are possibly in the fairway are worth. And remember he said playing by the rules. Count all strokes, all lost balls, out of bounds, penalty strokes, and never improve your lie. Hit it where it lands. It makes a better golfer out of you.

Cya

Doc

Note: This thread is 4283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!