IGNORED

Titleist Irons - AP1 vs. AP2

Note: This thread is 4155 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

AP1s are game improvement irons, for beginners and mid-high handicappers. More forgiving, but less control.

AP2s are for mid-low handicappers. Less forgiving, but more control.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

What is the difference between AP1's and AP2's?

The Titleist website has a lot of information. Also, you might even try typing something like "Titleist AP1 v AP2" in Google.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I know the AP2 are a little more forgiving the the 712 Cavity backs, but how much control do they have compared to the CBs?  When I tried them I got the feeling the AP2s weren't giving up much control for the benefits, but it was a windy day (40 mph right to left) and it was hard to tell for sure.

Originally Posted by Moonnerd

I know the AP2 are a little more forgiving the the 712 Cavity backs, but how much control do they have compared to the CBs?  When I tried them I got the feeling the AP2s weren't giving up much control for the benefits, but it was a windy day (40 mph right to left) and it was hard to tell for sure.

What do you mean by "control"?

Golf clubs do not have "control" The golfer does.

You can either use them or you can't.

Players on all tours use AP2s and CBs as well as MBs. Ben Curtis was (is?) using AP1s.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Yeah, this shaping thing, one club versus another. It's a confusing thing that only seems to exist in golf forums. In truth, it's pretty bogus. In reality, one club may have a lower cog compared to another, as in this case, the AP2 have a lower cog versus the CB. This means with the right shaft and swing, the CB is most likely to fly lower. So side spin may have a bigger effect for a certain golfer. This may mean the golfer has more control as the CB takes less effort to shape. But in truth all half decent golfers can shape anything. I've just tested them both, and the CBs are pretty brutal unless you hit everything flush.

Geek DCT 15* Accuflex 80MPT 51Ran Troom Grind 55Rife 2 Bar hybrid

• 3 months later...

This is a good topic.  I'm in the market now for a new set of irons (I think).  I've been playing with Callaway X18's for what, 8-9 years now.  I got them when they first came out.  Just walked into a Golfsmith store, never got fitted and walked out with them.   To be honest, I like my clubs.  I've been playing pretty well lately.  Shooting in the mid to upper 80's consistently on various courses.  I've become a lot more serious about the game.  Looking to join a private club(another topic).  Want to take things to a new level and have a different appreciation for the game.  I'm looking for a little more "umph" and seriousness in my irons but not over the top.  I think a muscleback would put me in my grave.

I've tried both AP1 and AP2 Is it more or does the ball just seem to explode?!   To be honest I cant decide.  I like the forgiveness my X18's offer similar to the AP1's but I love the feel of the AP2's.  They are really beautiful.  I just dont want to pull the trigger yet on the AP2's and say "what have I done??!!!!!!"  I think I should just stop being so afraid of going to a forged iron and just learn how to hit the ball correctly more consistently.  Any additional feedback is much appreciated.

Ben Curtis won on tour earlier this year with the AP1s in the bag.....just sayin'.....I wouldn't write them off completely. With clubs of this caliber (or any irons for that matter), I highly recommended getting fit for the proper shafts by a reputable club maker that has Trackman. Much different experience than getting "fit" at any of the big box retailers like Dick's, GolfGalaxy or GolfSmith.

In the bag:

TaylorMade R11 Driver (10.5 stiff stock shaft)

TaylorMade R11 3wood (15 degree stiff stock shaft)

Adams IdeaPro 3i hybrid (20 degree)

Titleist DCI 4-PW (photo)

Cleveland CG15 wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odyssey White-Hot 2-Ball (Superstroke oversize grip)

Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

Ping Hoofer 2012 Bag

• 2 weeks later...

If i were writing an original post, this is exactly how I would have framed my situation.  Making the jump to AP2, new appreciation for the game, private club, ...

I'm definitely interested to hear how you make out.  Good luck!

Both the AP1 and AP2 are great clubs.  The AP2 sit between the AP1 and CB's in terms of forgiveness so if you want a club that is more of a players club and willing to accept a little less forgiveness then I'd go with the AP2.  Your X-18's had a MPF of 1040, the AP1's are 779.  Both the X-18's and AP1's are considered Ultra Game Improvement irons.

The AP2's are 504MPF placing them in the "Conventional" category with other irons like the Titleist CB's, Mizuno MP-59's, Callaway RAzr R- Muscle so there will be less forgivenesss but will likely provide tighter dispersion than the X-18's and AP1's.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah the first poster said it great, I'll be getting new irons next season, so hopefully AP2s will be in the bag soon enough !

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

I'd expect they wouldn't change it until 2014.  2013 they are changing the woods.

Originally Posted by mtnbiker5

Will Titleist be changing the AP2 at all for 2013 or will it be the exact same club?  I know some manufacturers change the cosmetics sometimes.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by mtnbiker5

I've tried both AP1 and AP2 Is it more or does the ball just seem to explode?!   To be honest I cant decide.  I like the forgiveness my X18's offer similar to the AP1's but I love the feel of the AP2's.  They are really beautiful.  I just dont want to pull the trigger yet on the AP2's and say "what have I done??!!!!!!"  I think I should just stop being so afraid of going to a forged iron and just learn how to hit the ball correctly more consistently.  Any additional feedback is much appreciated.

Yes, when I flush a shot the ball just seems to come off the club face so hot! I love my AP1's! By far the best iron I have ever played. I love the feel of forged irons and would love to hit the AP2's, but $1k price tag is....... well, lets just say wifey wouldn't be too happy with me. LOL!

I would say either would be fine for you.

Phillip

• 3 months later...
Originally Posted by Shorty

The Titleist website has a lot of information.

Also, you might even try typing something like "Titleist AP1 v AP2" in Google.

When I type that into google this is page is the first result.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I just recently moved from Taylormade Rac OS2 game improvement irons to the Titleist AP2s.  I couldn't be happier.  My ballstriking was at a point where I felt I could move to a players iron without throwing shots away.

They are a great club and actually quite forgiving.  The feel of a well struck shot is fantastic and the added control is great as well.  I can now work the ball left or right with much less effort than I could with my old irons.

Hitting the ball out on the toe or high on the face does produce a weaker ball flight...so you need to be honest about your ball striking.

Titleist 910D3 - 9.5°- Ahina Stiff
Taylormade Burner 2.0 3Wood - Proforce V2 Stiff

Taylormade Burner 5W - Proforce V2 Stiff
910D 21° 3h - Ahina Stiff

Titleist 712 AP2 - KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey - 52* & 56*

Odyssey White Hot #1 XG

X's or B330's

Note: This thread is 4155 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!