IGNORED

Someone who knows flexibility and Jamie Sadlowski's swing

Backspinalot
Note: This thread is 3622 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And you have to remember jamie sadlowski is a good player and has played in Nationwide events I believe, so it isn't like as soon as you can get the ball out there deep scores instantly go up and your swing is ruined.

Originally Posted by Backspinalot

Ok, I didn't mean it like that. I got a little carried away but I am just fascinated by how Phil plays. I am not going to alter my swing from how it right now I decided. But if there are some flexibility excersizes I can do to allow myself to put the club in different positions that most people can't get that allow for more power and that deal, I am willing to do them.

The key to this is "most people can't" so what makes you think that you can get in those positions? I'm not positive on this but I thought his swing speed was around 150mph do you think that helps with his length? The point almost everyone is trying to make is that as you get bigger and add muscle you will gain swing speed which will increase your distance. Also at 15 you probably won't be more flexible than you are now so try working on getting your swing speed up.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

As everyone else has said, chill out and let yourself develop.  You're 15 and you're probably not going to really take that to heart, but it's true nonetheless.  I don't remember the exact heights and ages, but I grew something like 4-5 inches in high school, and then went from 6'2" 175 to 6'2" 215 (with time in the weight room) between 17 and 21.  You're getting 275 carry+roll at 15 years old, 5'7", and 135.  Even if you only grow another inch or two you aren't ANYWHERE CLOSE to your man strength yet.  Keep working out and do TONS of stretching.  Guys especially, even those who admit stretching is important, tend to half-ass the stretching part of any workout, but that's a huge no-no for golfers.  If you spend 45 minutes lifting weights you should spend 45 minutes stretching.  Or better yet, if you do 3 days of strength training each week, do 20-25 minutes of stretching after your workout and then do 60+ minutes of really intense stretching 3 other days each week.  Yoga's fine and great all around exercise and meditation, but you can get more flexible with a dedicated stretching program.

Point is, if you stay with it, keep conditioning and stretching, you'll get a hell of a lot more yards than just 10 over the next 3 years just from growing and filling out.  If you're still hitting it 275 carry+roll when you're 18, then maybe start worrying about why you're not hitting it as far as you'd like.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just a word on people who are encouraging simple acceptance that you can't be as flexible as pro golfers.  I know for a fact that that's false.  You may not be nearly as naturally flexible in certain areas, but I've been to a circus contortion class with my wife every week for the past 2-3 years.  I'm 30 and I've gotten unbelievably more flexible even though I only stretch intensely maybe twice a week on average, and all the teenagers who've been in the class regularly and really dedicated and trained 3-4 days a week, even those who came in quite stiff, have gotten ridiculously flexible very fast, including wrists, shoulders, and back (ie, golf flexibility).  One 21 year old male friend who's quite strong came in only with experience as a clown, never as a non-clown performer, and was not at all flexible, got his splits in 6-7 months and got his backbend (from standing, bend backwards into a backbend, then stand back up on your feet) in something like 3-4 months.

OP, if you're interested in a good 60-90 minute, intense stretching routine that I've seen get really good results, and comes from a woman who was a professional circus contortionist before opening a studio and becoming a coach, PM me.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

just relax & be glad you're playing golf at your age.     I didn't start until I was 46 & you're already hitting longer than me.     Patience my boy, patience ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

mdl, PM sent

I really don't like hearing the old "oh well you are just 15 and you will fill and and grow and then hit longer." and even worse "be happy with how far you do hit"

The thing is, with sports in general, working and training to acheive a personal goal is part of what makes sports fun, to see an end result that you worked to acheive. Do you think a good college basketbal player who has a chance at playing profesional ball would like to hear "oh, well just relax and be happy with the level you are playing at, you don't need to worry about improving"

I know, longer drives won't directly mean lower scores but if I can combine how much I have been practicing around the greens, to how I am hitting the ball, with an added 15-20 yards from flexibility training and fitness, that is a pretty good combo and I feel like I could be setting myself up to reach new heights in golf.

I want to work with the stretch routine mdl was talking about combined with Jamie's workout on TPI and see if that won't get me anywhere.

Regarding being 15... How about this: You're 15. You're heathy. You have more than a little God-given talent. You can do anything. You have the world by the tail. Go for it.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

No one is telling you not to try but I think you are failing to realize the strength aspect of it.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Just wait three years when you gain some muscle, you should be pounding the ball out there past 300 by then. So i wouldn't worry.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

So is there really nothing I can do for added distance except wait 3 more years? I have been doing some flexibility stuff and Jamie's workout and it has helped, I have been hitting the ball well lately, but what makes Jamie so fast and powerful? I am just very fascinated by Jamie Sadlowski and the fact that he is a small guy that packs a big punch. What sort of training does Jamie do to acheive those distances? Are there swing coaches solely for the purpose of increased speed and power, or was he just born that way?

I know you are all thinking my logic is messed up that I am focusing on distance way too much but afterall, golf is a game of fun and a very few number play professionally, and a majority of the rest work soley on getting lower scores which doesn't necassarily mean more fun to me anyways, although I do strive to become a better player and I will never let myself get into a zone at the range or on the course where I am swinging HARD, there are a few little things I think about, like a wider arc and bigger shoulder turn, but never ever am I swinging out of my shoes.

If you read the link i posted you see Jamie does a few things differently then your "stock" golf swing.  (I know there is no such thing lol)
One example:
Quote:

Jamie Sadlowski has a particular swing idiosyncrasy that has a major effect on his swing biomechanics, and that is his tendency to have i) a strong left hand grip (4 knuckle grip) and his associated anatomical tendency to have ii) an internally rotated left arm at address.

*Note I don't claim to be the best with TMG/Biomechanics of golf, so I can't claim this information is totally accurate.

http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/sadlowski.htm

[b]My Bag[/b] 1 Burgeoning mental game

I am guessing a lot of Jamie's power is genetic. Some people are born with more fast twitch fibers than others. And then Jamie took advantage of this genetic advantage by training really hard.

Should you just wait 3 years to grow another couple of inches? Nope. You should be working out, stretching and working on technique. You can google around to find tons of things for working on clubhead speed. Now some of them are snake oil but things like under/overweight training have some solid science behind them.

Originally Posted by Backspinalot

So is there really nothing I can do for added distance except wait 3 more years? I have been doing some flexibility stuff and Jamie's workout and it has helped, I have been hitting the ball well lately, but what makes Jamie so fast and powerful? I am just very fascinated by Jamie Sadlowski and the fact that he is a small guy that packs a big punch. What sort of training does Jamie do to acheive those distances? Are there swing coaches solely for the purpose of increased speed and power, or was he just born that way?

I know you are all thinking my logic is messed up that I am focusing on distance way too much but afterall, golf is a game of fun and a very few number play professionally, and a majority of the rest work soley on getting lower scores which doesn't necassarily mean more fun to me anyways, although I do strive to become a better player and I will never let myself get into a zone at the range or on the course where I am swinging HARD, there are a few little things I think about, like a wider arc and bigger shoulder turn, but never ever am I swinging out of my shoes.

Why Jamie Sadlowski hits it so far,

Crazy amount of Lag, look as his swing, his club almost wraps around his shoulder comming down, his hands are near his front hip and he still hasn't released. So that means he really slaps at hte ball at impact, delivering a ton of force in a very very short time. This means he has very fast hands, strong and flexible wrists. He gains huge extension. Even though he overswings like john daly, i think he does that to create the lag, because he holds that position through out the downswing.. He also uses a 48" Driver, usually 3-4 inches longer than the typical driver used by most people. At least in the Remax long drive they have to conform to the 0.830 driver head. Also if you watch the long drive on TV, you notice they are located out in the nevada, at an elevation of near 1600 feet. They are in an area that probably has very little wind, consistant warm temperatures, they are teeing off from an elevated tee. They have to hit the ball into a 60 yard wide zone. I am not sure how much roll they get out there, but carry, i think they are hitting it from 370-400+..

Which makes me wonder, get them closer to sea level, level ground, 45-46" golf club shaft, i wonder how far they can hit the ball. Bubba plays a 44" driver shaft, he hits it 330. you give him a 48", elevated tee, higher elevation, perfect conditions. I am not saying he's hitting 400+, but i would probably give him another 30 yards...

But as for the workout in the video, i think it will help get every last bit of power out of you, the guy knows what he is doing, especially teamed up with TPI. But distance is partially genetic, and partially hard work.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:
So is there really nothing I can do for added distance except wait 3 more years?

I totally disagree with this, and those who have posted.  By following the exercises in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Body-Swing-Revolutionary/dp/B0058M5K0A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1335812454&sr;=8-1

I do the "distance dozen" every night using a tension band.  The workouts are hard, but they added a ton to my drives.  I think also that you can't drive "like" anyone else - for the longest time, I had the "power drive bible" by a long drive champion - telling me to tee it up high, big weight shift, etc... it didn't work for me.  However, after reading the hit down on the driver thread on this forum, I tried teeing up low with really loose hands.  That, and the strength, has me hitting the ball really far off the tee.

The distance exercises in that book really helped me.  You don't feel any different when you swing (it doesn't "feel" faster) but the ball goes alot further - I saw significant results working out every night in about six weeks.  Problem is, I've now been doing the exercises for about six months, and my distance plateau'd at around 280.  However, that book brought me from 255-265 to 280 in about two months.  Check it out.

If you want to be creative like Phil, spend your time on the short game. Hit flops until you can get them to fly over a guy holding a chair three feet in front of you and roll back.

Also if you want to hit it further, work hard on your core and your wrist and forearm muscles as well as your legs. I'm a short guy as well (5'6", so shorter than you :)), and my power all comes from those muscles for me. I also do a lot of Yoga with my fiancee for flexibility and balance.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

Is the root of your question, how do you lengthen your backswing?

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Note: This thread is 3622 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!