IGNORED

Someone who knows flexibility and Jamie Sadlowski's swing

Backspinalot
Note: This thread is 3595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks for the advice.

Now my question is, would it at all be in my interest to get a longer shaft (46-47") that can be interchanged with my current shaft? I don't want to reach the point where it is messing with my swing and I am not making solid contact, but if I could have an extra shaft that may be an inch or two longer, I would like that. My only worry with that however is, I will lose control of the club, but disregarding accuracy for the most part at least for now, could I benefit from a shaft slightly longer which I could interchange with my current head with the wrench. If I got the longer shaft, should I get one identical to my current shaft which I like or possibly a more aggresive shaft?

And the question of the lengthening my backswing, partly yes. Which brings me to the question, if I do wrist flexibility and the wrist excersize, would trying to hinge my wrists a little more at the top help me create more speed? Otherwise I won't touch that.

Side Question: what training aids could I look into? The swing fan? I have been doing jamie's lag drill and that helps

Originally Posted by Backspinalot

Thanks for the advice.

Now my question is, would it at all be in my interest to get a longer shaft (46-47") that can be interchanged with my current shaft? I don't want to reach the point where it is messing with my swing and I am not making solid contact, but if I could have an extra shaft that may be an inch or two longer, I would like that. My only worry with that however is, I will lose control of the club, but disregarding accuracy for the most part at least for now, could I benefit from a shaft slightly longer which I could interchange with my current head with the wrench. If I got the longer shaft, should I get one identical to my current shaft which I like or possibly a more aggresive shaft?

And the question of the lengthening my backswing, partly yes. Which brings me to the question, if I do wrist flexibility and the wrist excersize, would trying to hinge my wrists a little more at the top help me create more speed? Otherwise I won't touch that.

Side Question: what training aids could I look into? The swing fan? I have been doing jamie's lag drill and that helps

My daughter's backswing is crazy long - I hurt just looking at it.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

You can improve your flexibility somewhat, but it is primarily determined by a number of things, the most important one being muscle length.  This you can't change.  I also wouldn't suggest wrist flexibilty exercises.  You will do damage to them.  If you aren't flexible enough at 15, just wait.  It only gets worse in 10 years.

Look at your mechanics.  A lot of people think they have flexibilty problems, but they really just turn their shoulders too flat and take a grip that is too weak.  The right turn and a nicely strong grip should be able to get comfortably to parallel at the top for most 15 year olds.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

You can try a longer shaft, if and only if you can still make solid contact. Otherwise I'd recommend staying with the same length and you'll get more distance just making contact with the center of the face.

Also get fit for the shaft instead of guessing for it. You'll play that shaft for a long time.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

The excersize working out I have been doing is very light. I go like 1-2 days a week and just do Jamie sadlowski's workout.

I don't know much about working out as a kid, but it isn't like I am doing heavy weight squats, deadlifts, and barbell bench press at high weight low reps. Those excersizes are mostly core and I do high reps at lower weight. That along with flexibility stuff and a longer shaft should at least have noticeable results wrong?

Now shafts: I like the idea of a longer shaft for more speed. But if I got a longer shaft, how long should I get? Remember I am not very big so a 48" is out of the question. Maybe a 46" shaft? Or maybe 47"? I don't want to have it so long that I can not contol the club and can no longer make solid contact. Does anyone have reccomendations without getting too precise into the science of it have reccomendations for a certain shaft model to consider (optimum carry in mind)? I like how my Kail'i 65 shaft feels now it is a stiff, I would say it favors more carry over a shaft like and Aldila RIP 60 stiff which I like and prefer. I tried one of those on a Callaway Razr Fit head and it wasn't spinny enough and I lost 10 yards of carry on good contact. But wouldn't I want a more aggresive shaft that would be my go to shaft for added distance since I would most likely be swinging faster?

I know it is harder without seeing my spin rates and traj. but I can tell you I carry it 265 and with a Kaili 65 shaft stiff I am hitting with a decent trajectory and a fair amount of spin.

I will play around with the loft with my driver being adjustable too if need be

Thanks

honestly, i like 45" as my max, i am comfortable hitting that solidly.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Backspinalot

The excersize working out I have been doing is very light. I go like 1-2 days a week and just do Jamie sadlowski's workout.

I don't know much about working out as a kid, but it isn't like I am doing heavy weight squats, deadlifts, and barbell bench press at high weight low reps. Those excersizes are mostly core and I do high reps at lower weight. That along with flexibility stuff and a longer shaft should at least have noticeable results wrong?

You want the best combination of stability and explosiveness in golf.  The way to get this is low reps, high weight with extreme focus on form and stability.  Pick the weight that you can do 5-9 reps on, keeping your body stable and not moving all over the planet.  Only explode as much as you can remain stable.  With bench press, take it or leave it.  It doesn't do a lot of good for golf in my experience.

Having worked out consistently for 25 years now, if you were my son and I were training you for golf, I'd start you out on the following:

Back and front squats, great for building power

One-legged squats with internal rotation, great for building lateral stabliity

Side-bends, great for toning the core, stretching the obliques (key for tilting) and preventing injury

Wide grip/narrow grip pull-ups  (attach weight if you are one of those really skinny guys who can do 80 pull ups)

Alternating dumbell press with knees on balance ball (not too heavy, you can do light weight/high reps on this one)

Bent-over dumbell rows with stable head, getting the planted leg involved in the lift

Swiss ball bridges and planks

Suspended leg lifts for the front hip flexors

Glute marches

That should be enough to get started.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

IMO the best exercize for golf is running/jogging.  Works your legs and core.  Builds endurance.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Running is a good base activity but it isn't very golf specific.

The medicine ball throwing drills are probably the most golf specific but anything that strengths the core will help you out a lot.

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

IMO the best exercize for golf is running/jogging.  Works your legs and core.  Builds endurance.

• 2 years later...
Hi,

First, me: 15 yrs old 135 lbs, 5'7 about a 3 handicap. I am very happy with my swing right now and am able to work the ball both ways well, right trajectory and I am getting the club in the right places, I just think about alignment and turning the body more thru the ball, my arms take over sometimes. I am hitting a Titleist 910 D2 driver 9.5 w/ Kai'li 65 blue shaft Stiff. I am hitting with the traj. I want and everything. I can carry about 265 and get 270-285 after roll, and yes, it is geared for optimal carry distance. I can make a decent shoulder turn and I am somewhat flexible but probably more average in that way. I did the Jamie sadlowski work-out on TPI (watch on youtube if you haven't seen it) and that did help with distance, but I am wondering what allows him to get to those positions at the top and just all around in his swing? I don't want to feel like I am ever forcing a postion because that's when everything gets thrown off, but if I could naturally get more of a shoulder turn or whatever it is, without forcing it, that would help. Basically what I would like to know is what is it that allows Jamie to get into positions that he says most people can't, and what makes a long drive champion without being 250 lbs and being able to bench 300? and what sorts of specific stretches or excersizes should i be doing to help, or is that workout going to help with overall flexibility.

I don't want to screw up my swing, because I love it right now, but I am willing to perhaps sacrifice accuracy off of the tee for added distance without taking the "big brute guy" route.

if there is anything you need to know more about my ask. Oh and I do yoga through school, but I don't ever really get too involved with that getting distracted.

Well I was  of course also astounded by Sadlowski's golf power, but there's also more "conventional swings" which can still generate tons of distance off the tee for example. Like J.B. Holmes who averages 300+ yards off the tee.

I hit about the same distances as you actually. I'm actually same size as you except more fat percentage LOL (working on losing that though)

What has been said about Jamie's grip seems to be true, it is not conventional neutral golf grip. He admitted self that he has increased wrist and hands muscle strength due to his golf and ice hockey practicing. (in ice hockey you really gotta develop power into your wrist shots and slam shots...)

That being said, even though power golf has been vogue and successful in modern times, I think a teeshot 275+ is still quite adequate provided that you have good accuracy with irons, and good accuracy with wedges etc...

Tiger Woods powergolf, Bubba Watson etc. these guys hit monstrous drives - there's no point trying to deny the truth in this aspect, but to truly be the best in the world, you gotta have the complete package of golf skills. That is the conclusion I've arrived - and it seems that hall of fame players such as Nicklaus and Tiger and such players would conform to this idea.

In golf you need EXPLOSIVE POWER. Not running endurance (i.e. cardio endurance)...

Pro golfers have caddies carrying their clubs anyway...

Pro golfers play at leisurely pace with arranged tournament field...

you don't need marathon cardio for golf, though it would help if you're not horribly out of shape.

Note: This thread is 3595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!