IGNORED

What Are Your Thoughts on Tour Yellow Golf Balls?

Note: This thread is 3682 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 members have voted

1. 1. Tour Yellow Golf Balls?

• Yes
    • No

I have switched mostly to Yellow balls as I wear Oakley Perscription sunglasses with the FireLenses and I can track them so much easier in the air all the way to the ground , white I have a hard time tracking a white ball through the air once it gets to about 30 feet from hitting the ground .

Plus I know which is mine playing with my 4 some . ( when I out drive them )

• 3 weeks later...

Another Yellow Srixon Q-Star XV guy here! I started using them last season during the rainy-er season here in Oregon. I absolutely love these balls...I've played both versions (white and yellow) and cannot believe how good these balls really are.

Irons - nike.gif Forged Blades / Project X 7.0

Driver - nike.gif VR Pro Ltd. Edition 8.5° / FUBUKI Alpha 70x

Wood - nike.gif SQ 3+ 13° / Stock Diamana S-Flex
Wedges - cleveland.gif Tour Action Gunmetal Reg 588 54° & 60° / DG S400
Putter - White Hot XG 2-Ball F7

Bag - nike.gif SQ Tour Carry

Originally Posted by retgi

I've used the yellow and orange balls and prefer orange as they're easier to find.

Me too.    I can see orange balls in flight so much better than white or even yellow balls.     I chose my ball because of this as I often play alone after work with no one to help me find the ball.    Wilson Nuclear Orange - way brighter than any other orange ball on the market ... by alot.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hit a box of yellows and didn't find any benefit in visibility, even worse when the leaves came down.

So still prefer white.  The best way to not lose balls remains to just improve and be a better hitter........

Haven't tried orange yet, but that might do the trick.  Though I'd hate to offend the traditionalists in their knickers tucked into their socks and sweater vests and ugly hats that came with a free bowl of soup.

I have a bag of very old golf balls (we had a ravine in the course I played at as a kid) - I hit a few into the woods when I'm bored.  Most over 20-25 years old now.  One that's still in there is a half yellow/half orange ball - call the "Eclipse".  I don't even know who made those, but it was an interesting find back then.

edit:  just did a search - they still make them.  By "Nitro" (never heard of nitro)

that bag has balls with hexagonal dimples, the "Robinhood" ball (aka "Hot Ones" illegal balls), lots of old brands not in business anymore.  And a lot of dried out crappy 'rocks' of course

Bill - 

I scored a couple in a tournament I entered, and really liked them (Sxrixons iirc). Thinking about buying them the next time I have to resupply.

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Originally Posted by inthehole

I concentrate on keeping my head down, so by the time I lift my head, I often lose white balls in flight, especially if there's clouds in the sky.     I usually play alone after work, so I'm the only set of eye's looking for my ball - which is why I've been playing orange balls lately - really like being able to see them in flight & find them in the rough.  ...

I suspect it varies from person to person which color - other than white - works best.  Many years ago I used "optic orange" Wilson Staff 432 golf balls for three seasons. By far the easiest ball for me to track.

Other people got on my case for not using lime green - but I had trouble seeing the greenies unless I tripped over one on the fairway. Lime just didn't register with my eye.

I'll have to try a sleeve of the Wilson Nuclears.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I have nothing against yellow or orange balls but I once played yellow balls and could not find them in the rough, lost at least four balls. I still have the yellow balls, maybe I'll try them again sometime but for now I'm playing white.

I keep a few yellow DT Solo's in my bag.  They are great for when the sun starts to get low, when I can't see the white ones too well, but the yellow ones jump right out.  But this time of year, when there are leaves everywhere, then they can be impossible to find.

• 5 weeks later...

I have tried yellow balls in the past and found them harder to see in the rough and even in the fairway.  I think its interesting if you look at ALLIN's photo under his name it shoes a WHITE ball on a GREEN a couple of inches from a YELLOW flagstick.  Looking at that I see much more contrast in the white ball then I do from the yellow flagstick.  I also believe going back to kindergarten, YELLOW and BLUE make GREEN, so I suspect that since green has yellow in it, the yellow would blend in better to green then white would.  Far from scientific, or is it??

Originally Posted by sixssssss

I have tried yellow balls in the past and found them harder to see in the rough and even in the fairway.  I think its interesting if you look at ALLIN's photo under his name it shoes a WHITE ball on a GREEN a couple of inches from a YELLOW flagstick.  Looking at that I see much more contrast in the white ball then I do from the yellow flagstick.  I also believe going back to kindergarten, YELLOW and BLUE make GREEN, so I suspect that since green has yellow in it, the yellow would blend in better to green then white would.  Far from scientific, or is it??

There is a difference between the yellow of a ball and the yellow of a flagstick.  The flagstick is just yellow fiberglass, not designed to be particularly visible.  The Srixons that I use are not just a flat yellow.  They have little sparklies in the color to greatly increase the visibility.  For me, with normal color vision, they are the easiest ball I've ever seen to see, both in flight and in deep grass.

And I was a diehard white ball user, never considered using anything else until this newer, brighter color came out.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

yeah...a Srixon cover has depth to it...its not really "yellow" or "green"...its kind of like a slime color.  the little sparkles do help it pick up the sun for reflection.  The new NXT-tour yellow is the same way.  The older yellow balls are basically just painted yellow and have no reflective qualities.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Did not love the Srixon yellow ball today - managed to lose one in or right off of the fairway  between the sun and leaves - that will teach me to help my buddy look for his ball for 5 minutes (when his was sure to be wet)

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I agree with several of the posts; on an overcast day I use Bridgstone E6 yellow ball as I can follow the flight against the grey cloudy sky. I have not tried orange balls under the same conditions , but, after reading a few posts here it sounds like a good alternate to yellow.

However, I do use a white E6 ball on bright sunny clear days.

Originally Posted by rehmwa

edit:  just did a search - they still make them.  By "Nitro" (never heard of nitro)

AVOID !!!!!

I use them in my net and for chipping practice at home and only there.  I broke (read- destroyed) 3 of them in the first few that I hit. on the course.

$6 for a dozen new balls was too good to be true.

I will try the WIlson Nuclear Orange balls... They look "cool"

I put Adams and PING in my OGIO Recoil bag. I'm shooting for the low 90's by summer 13'

Looks like the 2013 Z STARS come in orange, too. Dunno if I can get behind that. Will give it a shot.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I use a white pro v 1 on sunny days and a srixon z star on overcast days. I don't use them when locating lost balls, I use them to see the balls flight path.

In my  stand bag

:titleist:910d2 8.5*

speedline fast 12 3w 

910h 17* 

:titleist: 712 cb/mb 3-p

:mizuno: MP-T4 56* 60*

:nike: method 001 

:srixon: tour yellow z star xv 

• 10 months later...
Note: This thread is 3682 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!