Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
406bogeys

Looking for a new hybrid or fairway wood

10 posts in this topic

So im currently looking for a longer range club i can hit in the fairways and am trying to decide if the hybrid is the best way to go or if i should stick with fairway woods. Are hybrids significantly easier to hit? are they comparable in distance? Just looking for some guidance here everyone. All suggestions and opinions are welcome.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I like hybrids if the loft is about 20 degrees and woods if the loft is below 20 degrees.

I picked up a 19 degree Taylormade RBZ hybrid and I love it.  I have never hit or owned a hybrid until this year and I tried a ton of them before I decided on the RBZ.  Its a little pricey but its very easy to hit off the ground, out of the ruff, and off the tee. The main reason I like the RBZ was the fact that it looks like a fairway wood. A lot of the hybrids looked funny to me at address cause of that iron wood mix look they have and this one doesnt have that look. The irons set I got didnt come with a 3 iron and thats why I wanted a hybrid and I can hit this club much better than I could ever hit a 3 iron.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just purchased an RBZ 19 degree hybrid. I hit it this afternoon and was suprized at not only how easy it was to hit, but also how much it felt like i was hitting a driver of the terf. love this club!

Originally Posted by 406bogeys

So im currently looking for a longer range club i can hit in the fairways and am trying to decide if the hybrid is the best way to go or if i should stick with fairway woods. Are hybrids significantly easier to hit? are they comparable in distance? Just looking for some guidance here everyone. All suggestions and opinions are welcome.

I don't like fairway woods as hybrids are easier to make better contact with. Yes, they are easier, than a FW, to hit as you swing them like your iron.

Yes, the FW will go further, but depending on how good you are, right?  I'll take a consistent 200 yards from my hybrid than a once-in-while 230+ from a FW (YMMV).

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

I like hybrids if the loft is about 20 degrees and woods if the loft is below 20 degrees.

By trial and error, I have found this to be on the mark.  I have an average swing speed and hybrids and irons with lofts below 20* are hard for me to get airborne consistently.  One of my 2012 goals is to learn to how use my 5W....consistently.

Originally Posted by Topper

By trial and error, I have found this to be on the mark.  I have an average swing speed and hybrids and irons with lofts below 20* are hard for me to get airborne consistently.  One of my 2012 goals is to learn to how use my 5W....consistently.

I'm a low ball hitter too.  I carry a 1,3, 5 wood and then jump to 3H and 4H, 5-PW, GW, and SW.  I hit the 5 wood 10 to 20 longer than I hit a 2H.  I hit the 3H just as far as I hit a 7 wood, but with more control.

Originally Posted by 406bogeys

Just purchased an RBZ 19 degree hybrid. I hit it this afternoon and was suprized at not only how easy it was to hit, but also how much it felt like i was hitting a driver of the terf. love this club!

RocketBallz Hybrids and Fairways are really good, easiest fairway wood I've ever hit.  A 4 wood might be a good option too

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am extremely happy with this purchase. I am hitting the RBZ 3 hybrid consistently 225 to 235 and straight as a string. this is slowly becoming one of my favorite clubs in the bag. So easy to hit and really feels like a driver on impact. Im considering taking the 3 wood out of my bag just because of the consistency i am getting out of the hybrid. I will sacrifice 30 yards if i can always be in the fairway.

keep in mind most hybrids are going to give you a higher ball flight and less roll on impact with the ground for comparable models. I just purchsed a Wilson DXi 3H at 19*. i havent hit it yet, but when i do i can post and let you know how it feels. Not knocking TM and the RBZ line by anymeans, but it's much easier on the pocket.