IGNORED

Tee height setters

Note: This thread is 3547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dave in Florida - Its funny how us guys have this macho mentality (me included from time to time) about using something to help set up your tee - its almost like saying to your golf buddies 'Hey man I don't know how high to set my tee' - its just not going to happen.

BUT tell him that it could help him shave 3 to 5 shots off 19 holes and watch him open his wallet, even though its not going to cost him an arm and a leg.

And here's the thing - over a period of one to two months, thats exactly what is going to happen (IF you use it every time you tee off).

I proved this for myself. I played as a 'good' hacker off an 18 (my excuse, I had not played in 8 years) and then started using my own product (T-Set) - in 6 weeks I was down to a 14 and about another 4 weeks was down to a 12. Admittedly it also helped that I was playing twice a week. I was not the only one I was monitoring as one of our local ladies champs (hree years running) started using it and came back shaving +- 3 strokes off every course she regularly played - not too bad for a humble tee height setting accessory!!!!

I don't think @David in FL has said anything that can be even remotely construed as machismo. He has pointed out why your product is a gimmicky waste of time. He specifically pointed out that your claims as to the vast import of 1mm are completely at odds with a gizmo that is limited to increments of 5mm. :doh: That one actually made me laugh.

I would suggest, for the protection of your product's commercial viability moving forward, that you abandon this thread. Trying to score points in this debate is likely just going to further illustrate how ludicrous your claims are. Seeing as how engaging in a long battle here will just make this thread the number #1 hit in a "Tee Height Setter" google search, you probably want to avoid that.

Unless of course you feel you can lay out some evidence of substance to support your claims and convince a group of highly sceptical and highly educated (at least in terms of the technical aspects of golf) golfers, in which case we're all ears.

If you want to sell your product, make a droning, semi-hypnotic infomercial and buy some late night (like 2am) airtime on the Golf Channel and troll the waterways of hacker desperation. You'll catch some fish for sure with a large enough net, but the fish around here are pretty smart and they ain't biting. We're also pretty protective of each other and I suspect the only reason the powers that be have allowed you to peddle your wares to our community is due to the potential for high comedy. We do like our comedy.

#solutioninsearchofaproblem

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use these:

http://4yardsmore.us

Use the blue tee for driver, may get a few others for fairways, irons, and hybrids... they are durable, and you don't have the same issues as the brush tee - bristles bending. These stay straight but are flexible. Haven't had one break in over a year of use.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

To all the guys that came back and gave me a piece of their mind amongst a few other things - all is well from my side. There will always be those that won't agree with what is put 'out there' and frankly I would be very surprised if everybody did, which is fine with me. When I started doing the research for this in 2000, I was as skeptical as you guys are and again with good reason - nobody had done too much research on it and everybody had always just relied on 'stick it in the turf and beat it' (especially for the hackers out there). But then I read an article (which I would dearly like to remember where) by the Tiger about the importance of your tee height. I designed my first generation T-Set with all those comments in mind. The response from the people who bought at the time showed those results as well as those I saw for myself. None of you guys will take my word for it and thats OK with me - BUT don't knock something unless you know for certain that it does not work or you have tried one. Where heights are concerned unfortunately I am limited (as with all things made) to a few heights because of manufacturing restraints. The new T-Set will however have height settings up to 45mm which will cover most golfers around plus advertising space and a divot tool - unless you are among the top players around, this 'could' help with your golf needs......... a little. And me, I'm all for making my game a bit easier and user friendly. I am not here to convince you guys, so again no problem - sometimes worry though about the aggressive side swipes and insults but hey been around for 64 years so the hide is getting thicker. Maybe should leave the real golf to you younger guys....... !!! Just a parting thought - Have any of you ever had a problem with your height setting or gone back down and readjusted your tee height - if you have well...........

I use these: [URL=http://4yardsmore.us]http://4yardsmore.us[/URL] Use the blue tee for driver, may get a few others for fairways, irons, and hybrids... they are durable, and you don't have the same issues as the brush tee - bristles bending. These stay straight but are flexible. Haven't had one break in over a year of use.

I use the same blue tee for my driver. Only problem I've had with it is that the tip is dull now so sometimes it's hard to push into the ground, but a little file work should fix that right up.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Tee height setters? Sometimes the ground is so hard that it makes it difficult to push in a tee. I guess it could be useful in those situations. My new Stinger tees are made from bamboo and are thinner  and have sharper points than the usual tee. I haven't tried them in super dry hard packed conditions, though.

I might design and print one one, if I have some time.

I put the ball on top of the tee and into the palm of my hand, then let the tip of my thumb barely touch the tip of my middle finger and start pushing the tee in.  When I feel the grass just touch the back of my middle finger, I stop pushing.    Seems to put me at the right spot 99% of the time....

And if the ball thing doesn't work for some reason.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

To all the guys that came back and gave me a piece of their mind amongst a few other things - all is well from my side. There will always be those that won't agree with what is put 'out there' and frankly I would be very surprised if everybody did, which is fine with me.

When I started doing the research for this in 2000, I was as skeptical as you guys are and again with good reason - nobody had done too much research on it and everybody had always just relied on 'stick it in the turf and beat it' (especially for the hackers out there). But then I read an article (which I would dearly like to remember where) by the Tiger about the importance of your tee height. I designed my first generation T-Set with all those comments in mind. The response from the people who bought at the time showed those results as well as those I saw for myself. None of you guys will take my word for it and thats OK with me - BUT don't knock something unless you know for certain that it does not work or you have tried one. Where heights are concerned unfortunately I am limited (as with all things made) to a few heights because of manufacturing restraints. The new T-Set will however have height settings up to 45mm which will cover most golfers around plus advertising space and a divot tool - unless you are among the top players around, this 'could' help with your golf needs......... a little. And me, I'm all for making my game a bit easier and user friendly.

I am not here to convince you guys, so again no problem - sometimes worry though about the aggressive side swipes and insults but hey been around for 64 years so the hide is getting thicker. Maybe should leave the real golf to you younger guys....... !!! Just a parting thought - Have any of you ever had a problem with your height setting or gone back down and readjusted your tee height - if you have well...........

I don't think anyone has been aggressive, brutally honest perhaps, but not aggressive.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

BUT don't knock something unless you know for certain that it does not work or you have tried one.

Why don't you send a handful for some members to review it? @Ernest Jones loves writing reviews.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

BUT don't knock something unless you know for certain that it does not work or you have tried one.

See, this is where I think you've made your misstep.  There is enough info in your photos to confirm for me without having to use one that they almost certainly DO work exactly as advertised.  They look like sturdy plastic, they look like a tee fits, and they look like they would allow for plenty of extra leverage when necessary for hard ground.  Kudos to you for that.

But you're forgetting about the last and, by far, most important aspect ... Do I really NEED one of these?  Of course not.  I know how far down I want my tee to go, so I put it there, with my hands.  End o' story.

See, this is where I think you've made your misstep.  There is enough info in your photos to confirm for me without having to use one that they almost certainly DO work exactly as advertised.  They look like sturdy plastic, they look like a tee fits, and they look like they would allow for plenty of extra leverage when necessary for hard ground.  Kudos to you for that.

But you're forgetting about the last and, by far, most important aspect ... Do I really NEED one of these?  Of course not.  I know how far down I want my tee to go, so I put it there, with my hands.  End o' story.

Yeah, that's the argument for trying many things that could be bad for us too. :beer:

Actually, I think having something that accounts for different lie positions helps. For instance, if your feet end up an inch up or down from the tee position that the device could compensate for this variation. I wonder. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Yeah, that's the argument for trying many things that could be bad for us too. :beer: Actually, I think having something that accounts for different lie positions helps. For instance, if your feet end up an inch up or down from the tee position that the device could compensate for this variation. I wonder. . .

Only if that compensation required exactly a 5mm adjustment. ;-) [quote name="Ernest Jones" url="/t/57501/tee-height-setters/54#post_1035999"]I don't think anyone has been aggressive, brutally honest perhaps, but not aggressive.  [/quote] You say tomato, he says tomauto..... :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Hi Ernest you are 100% right, my apologies. To be able to do that properly, set up your tee with the ball, put your driver behind the ball and lower the tee and ball till you see just half the ball from behind. Take the ball off and measure the height of your tee - if it is higher than 35mm then unfortunately you will have to wait for the new reworked T-Set - if it is 35mm or lower, I can send you one of my original T-Sets for you to 'test'. Do that and send me either your email address or a physical address for me to send the unit. I would look forward to your analysis and remarks.

The variance is not the most critical thing (important but not critical) with setting your tee correctly but the knowledge that your tee is set up at exactly the same height each time with no variance at all, is. At the 'correct' height (half ball rule for your drivers etc except for your irons) and being able to set that up consistently just gives you the confidence to swing through and be able to correct other stuff knowing it has zilch to do with tee height, does make a difference. Someone asked me why the half ball set up - I think it was in the Golfers Digest that showed the sweet spot for all the drivers that were available at the time that showed that if your ball was set up at half ball, the probability of connecting the sweet spot was enhanced. I was a bit taken aback because I had always thought the sweet spot was in the middle of the club face - well I was wrong, it was not. Some were just above the half way mark and slightly closer to the toe while others were in the middle (between the heel and the toe) but slightly higher than the middle. The other thing with a hight setting tool is this - I watched Bernard Langer at the Million Dollar at Sun City adjust his tee on the one hole three times before he was happy/comfortable with the height and then promptly sliced the ball slightly into the rough. Now this was a pro and that tee height really bugged him to the point of him loosing his concentration - hell I don't need that sort of distraction under normal conditions. I'll take the solution to that problem each time and take one more hassle out of my game given the chance and that is what the T-Set does. It does not help me play the shot, it just takes away one of the problem areas. Oh by the way, the T-Set is R&A; approved.

Yeah you are right, aggressive was not the right word but brutally honest is not it either. If you have never tried something like this, do not be too positive or over confidant of your views until you have - I think you would be, not just surprised but pleasantly surprised. As I have said before, I'll take anything on that helps me play a better game, even if it is just a 'gimmicky' golf accessory........ all help greatfully accepted.

Lihu you are right in one aspect - trying all sorts of things could mess with your game and if using a tool (this tool) to help you set up your tee heights will disrupt your game..... leave it alone. If you feel it will not help you, don't use it, simple. If you can stroke each shot you play from the tee without ever messing up, then you are one of the lucky ones who does not need help - for the rest of us, well, as said before, I'll take all the help that I can get. Can't but wonder - the guys who don't need this tool or don't want to use one are the guys giving me the most uphill - that leaves a lot of people who are reading these posts who in all probability would love to try one out........... !!! Launching the new one in about 2 to 3 months time, everything planned going right that is. After this product has launched I go onto a more sedate product launch (I'm an inventor and innovator) that won't have the same vitriolic responses - an electrically driven multi cart for the semi disabled that can also be used as a ride on, a shopping cart (leave the cat at home), fishing cart and ........ oh hell, here we go again, a single person golf cart............ hmmm!!!

Lihu you are right in one aspect - trying all sorts of things could mess with your game and if using a tool (this tool) to help you set up your tee heights will disrupt your game..... leave it alone. If you feel it will not help you, don't use it, simple. If you can stroke each shot you play from the tee without ever messing up, then you are one of the lucky ones who does not need help - for the rest of us, well, as said before, I'll take all the help that I can get. Can't but wonder - the guys who don't need this tool or don't want to use one are the guys giving me the most uphill - that leaves a lot of people who are reading these posts who in all probability would love to try one out........... !!! Launching the new one in about 2 to 3 months time, everything planned going right that is. After this product has launched I go onto a more sedate product launch (I'm an inventor and innovator) that won't have the same vitriolic responses - an electrically driven multi cart for the semi disabled that can also be used as a ride on, a shopping cart (leave the cat at home), fishing cart and ........ oh hell, here we go again, a single person golf cart............ hmmm!!!

Have you considered designing for 3D printing, to reduce the turnaround time? Even protomolds can be pretty cheap. Just thinking about other variants. The main one for me is helping me get the tee into the ground without breaking it in hard ground.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Stupidest thing Ive seen this year-and my wife watches all the Real Housewives of Bum**** NOwhere so ive seen some dumb stuff. @Graham Riley - [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0[/VIDEO] You couldn't pay me $5 a round to use this thing.-Not $10 or $15 either. Maybe for $20 Id carry it-probably not use it. @Graham Riley - so dumb.-You cannot seriously believe this has a future.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

We should be up and running in about 2 to 3 months time, hopefully sooner - will let everyone know.

I dropped about 4 shots when I got round to using my own product, its weird but it works.

For it to save me 4 strokes it would have to also hit the ball for me.

I could have engineers from NASA set my tee height each time to within a micrometer and still hit it high or low on the club face.

Note: This thread is 3547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!