IGNORED

Midsize Grips or Grip Style Change

Teamanglerx
Note: This thread is 3999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been having trouble hitting my graphite shafted clubs, which just happen to be my longer length ones (driver, 17* super hybrid, and 3 and 4 hybrids).  With these clubs I have consistantly BAD slice.  I recently got a new driver and super hybrid which have stiff shafts (my old driver was a regular and I could never get my hands "soft" enough to hit it right) and that has helped with those clubs some.  The 3 and 4 hybrids are regular.  I have done some research and two possible answers I came up with are the following:

1) Change the grips to midsize grips on the graphite shafted clubs.  I wear a large size glove and can wrap my fingers all the way around the grip and under my thumb.  I have noticed on longer distance shots (like off the tee) I get the "cave man grip" on my down swing.  I have heard that by switching to mid-size grips it would help "quiet" my hands.

2) Change grip style.  I currently use a neutral grip.  A friend insists I need to switch to a strong style grip which will get rid of the slice.  I don't slice with my irons and in fact, hit them fairly well.  I am afraid by switching grip styles I will hurt my iron play.  Is it also common for a player to use different grips with different clubs?

Can anyone advise me on which might be a direction to head?  Thanks in advance.

In my bag:

Driver: Covert Performance
Super Hybrid : :nike: 2H - 17* Covert Performance

Irons: :nike:Covert 4I - PW

Wedges: :nike:X3X Wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)

Putter: Method Core 1i

Ball: :nike:One RZN

Upgrading Always.

Definitely try the grips.  Messing with your grip is a recipe for disaster.  Try the driver first.  You will know pretty quickly if it helps.  I would think moving to a mid size grip in general would be good for you, based on your description.  Do your hands ever get sore from playing golf?

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

Change grips first, easy enough and not that expensive.  But, you said you went from regular to stiff shaft and it helped your slice?  Odd, stiff shafts can result in a slice if you do not have a high enough swing speed to square the face at impact.

I noticed a big difference in going to mid-size grips, and obtain even better results when I wear padded gloves on both hands.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

My golf course has a simulator and I used it quite a few times over the winter.  My swing speed was a consistant 92-96 mph.  When I went to get the two new clubs my golf pro recommended the stiff shafts due to the swing speed and the fact my swing with the driver is not as smooth as with other clubs.  I played with the driver last week and got a few good drives on the range and the course so I am okay with the stiffer shafts on it and the super hybrid.

@carrx - my hands are not sore after playing golf with my current grips.  Is this an indicator of something if they become sore?

In my bag:

Upgrading Always.

Teamanlerx,

I would avoid changing grips or your grip and film your swing.  It may be just a simple set up and swing adjustment to help you hit it straighter.  Post it in the Member Swings area.  There are a number of Teaching Professionals on this forum that will provide excellent advice.

I had mid-size grips for a year and a half.  I just got fitted by an excellent area fitter and he brought me back down to standard +32 (3 wraps).  But this was just a minor tweak.  All my real improvement came from good instruction.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Bigger grips will make your slice worse because they limit hand action making it harder to turn over the club my guess is that it is a swing flaw. Also what do you consider a neutral grip? How many knuckles can you see on your top hand?

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Mizuno Guy

Bigger grips will make your slice worse because they limit hand action making it harder to turn over the club my guess is that it is a swing flaw. Also what do you consider a neutral grip? How many knuckles can you see on your top hand?

I am gonna stick my neck above the parapet and say I disagree

I know thats its against all "knowledge" but I find grips that are too thin can also result in a slice and too much grip pressure needed to hold the club at the top of the backswing

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

Originally Posted by trickymicky69

I am gonna stick my neck above the parapet and say I disagree

I know thats its against all "knowledge" but I find grips that are too thin can also result in a slice and too much grip pressure needed to hold the club at the top of the backswing

I actually agree with you i did not take into consideration that he may be gripping it too tightly,which may be the case as he stated before that he does have big hands.

Originally Posted by Mizuno Guy

I actually agree with you i did not take into consideration that he may be gripping it too tightly,which may be the case as he stated before that he does have big hands.

thanks mizuno guy.

I learnt that from a guy at a mizuno fitting bizarrely!

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

I find that grip size has different effects on different people.  Grab a lesson.  It'll do wonders.

Vr_s 9.5 degree Diamana Blueboard 63 Stiff

Vr_s 15 degree Diamana Blueboard 73 Stiff

Vr_s 19 degree Diamana Blueboard 73 Stiff

Vr Pro 3-P Project x 5.5 Hard Stepped Once

Vr Pro DS  56 & 60 True Temper S400

Spider Ghost 34"

ProV1

Thanks for all the input.  Through more research I have found I have a major problem with an outside - in swing path.  While I am still contemplating some larger grips to combat the "squeeze" effect I will be working hard on the swing path issue.

In my bag:

Upgrading Always.

• 1 year later...
Team , I have a couple of observations that may help you . To answer the question u asked about grips I would take the advice several gave by trying one- two clubs and see how it feels . You hit the nail on the head by noticing you have and outside to in swing . Lee Trevino made the hall of fame with a swing like that . One thing ill bet you do not do is let your hands roll naturally through the ball . What I mean basically is to hold the club out in front of you like a base ball bat and swing , notice what your hands do . For right handlers the right hand should roll over and finish on top of the left hand . That is true in golf as well . Just practice the baseball swing and gradually move the club (arc of the swing) down to the ball , the swing should not change . Observation no 2 if you change to a strong ( motorcycle grip ) you will find doing the "baseball " swing much more difficult. Simple grip is to literally clap your hands together with the shaft in between. Or as I call it shake hands with the club ,left then right . The grip you should have now let's the wrists move freely . Now it's a matter of timing Good luck , hang in there you will fix the slice and notice a draw once in awhile .

This thread is a year old, so I don't know if the original poster is still here, but I think the issue is gripping the club properly in his left hand, not going with a stronger grip, or larger grip.  I suspect your left hand grip needs to be in your fingers more, and your heal pad needs to be more on top of the grip to have proper wrist action in your swing. The whole issue of grip pressure and squeezing the grip to hard is overrated in my opinion.  If you want to swing the club with some speed, you better have a firm hold on the club. No?

Shaggie, I'm still around.  I have worked this year on making sure my grips is correct.  I have also practiced all winter working to get my swing inside out and having a smoother tempo.  All these have contributed to better scores so far.

In my bag:

Upgrading Always.

Originally Posted by Teamanglerx

Shaggie, I'm still around.  I have worked this year on making sure my grips is correct.  I have also practiced all winter working to get my swing inside out and having a smoother tempo.  All these have contributed to better scores so far.

That is good to know.  Keep up the good scores.

Note: This thread is 3999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!