IGNORED

Counterfeit driver distance compared to genuine

Note: This thread is 4365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When my grandfather, an avid golfer who battled cancer for a long time solely to extend his golf hobby passed away, he left all his possessions to my mother, including his "Taylormade" clubs. My mother tried to sell them but the one man who checked them out told us they were actually knock-offs or counterfeit, whatever you want to call it.

This was a mixed blessing because it meant I got to keep the clubs. For someone who is still learning the ways of golf they do fine, except that I was wondering whether the fact the drive is not genuine could contribute to the poor distance I get from it. I am a fit young male of fair strength so I don't think that's the problem.

Would it be worth saving for a modest, but geniune driver?

Thanks

A knockoff is a club that looks very similar but has a different name on it. A counterfeit club is a copy, complete with the name and logos of the real club they are imitating. Your best bet is to go to a golf shop where you can try a new driver and take it to the range and see how you hit it. Knockoffs are not a bad way to go if money is tight. After I had been golfing 5-6 years I wanted new clubs but didn't want to spend the money on a new set of Pings so I bought knockoffs from Golf Works and assembled a set myself. They were called Tournament Model III. I still have them although I don't use them. They worked great as far as I was concerned, no problems with them. When it comes to counterfeits though it's hard to say what quality they are. Either try a new driver that you can take to the range or maybe have someone you know that's a good golfer try the driver out you have and see what he says about it.

I believe the guy that tried them out was someone my Mum knew through work, and a nice guy. I am sure he was right because when I took one into a golf shop to be fixed the owner said he didn't recognise the exact model number, and when I said it was because they were counterfeit he agreed that that was why. Thanks for the reply though.

Note: This thread is 4365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!