IGNORED

Should chemicals be sprayed while golfers are on the course--- on the same hole

Note: This thread is 3791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

depends what chemicals and why it bothers you?

Being a natural course i imagine its wildlife safe, human safe etc,

any form of course maintenance in front of me annoys me, but it has to be done so i get over it and get on with it

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Don't lick your ball. Or the soles of your shoes.

A golf course is not a natural environment. The only way to keep it looking like that is to do what they're doing.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Stretch

A golf course is not a natural environment. The only way to keep it looking like that is to do what they're doing.

I never said environment,.....

and of course its natural, what do you think its made off, recycled bottles?

I see no problem. Spraying is regulated by your state EPA.  The golf superintendent would be following the state EPA regs in terms of what is permitted to be sprayed. Now, they can not even use chemicals that will kill earthworms. Also, OSHA would govern the employees safety in applying the chemicals. I have never seen a golf course worker on a tractor wearing a respirator. I am going to guess that they are probably applying some sort of nitrogen and weed killer and/or fungus preventor this time of year. You could always ask the golf super for the MSDS sheets if you are seriously concerned.

Don't eat the grass, lick your ball or your fingers during the round. Use your golf towel and you will be fine. Golf courses are probably one of the most environmentally safe places that you could be outdoors.

I never said environment,..... and of course its natural, what do you think its made off, recycled bottles?

Have you ever tried to grow grass to the height of greens, or even fairways? They need tons of water and chemicals to get it as green as people want, and really just to be alive.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

Have you ever tried to grow grass to the height of greens, or even fairways? They need tons of water and chemicals to get it as green as people want, and really just to be alive.

but its still grass, grass specifically bred for golf courses

I agree you need chemicals to aid in the colour, perhaps the growth rate,a multitude of other things.....but its still grass, its still born of a seed, even after the chemicals, its still grass

It only becomes non-natural once the product itself is not grown or living, i.e. artificial grass, plastic trees etc.

teh chemicals as ill as they will probably make you, wont kill you either (unless you have a grass eating fetish),....they have to be enviromentally friendly so-as to co-exist with nature

so i maintain the notion that a golf course is a natural thing,....

Sorry, I was answering the OP, not you.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Save your ball licking for the privacy of your own home. And the foot licking if you're into that too.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Sorry, I was answering the OP, not you.

I see, so when i thought it was yourself draggin this into an eco war it was actually myself,...figures

in the new context i fully agree with you

Maybe it's liquid LSD?  Could make for an interesting back nine!

SNAKES!

SNAKES!

SNAKES!

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

In all seriousness, kudos for walking and you should be fine.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

thanks for the comments. Unfortunately one of the guys in our group has been hospitalized for the past 3 months and his therapist has recommended an hourly ball licking and toe sucking routine. We are deeply concerned that he is ingesting beyond the limit of pesticides.... his lips have a green glow to them and his eyes are watering. We have met with the golf course owner and he has begun to charge us for the materials that we are ingesting.... this is adding a significant cost to our round of golf. As many of you have recommended, we will "suck it up" and continue to breath deep as we make our way up the fairway. Best to you

You are using a definition of "natural" that is different from that used by others.  There is more than one definition of "natural".  You can't argue when two different definitions are used in an argument.

The definition of "natural" used by others means one that is not aided by man whereas you are using "natural" to mean occurring in nature.  You are trying to compare apples and oranges.

As for the question posed by the OP, it goes with the territory.  If you want a manicured fairways and greens, you gotta put up with chemical treatment.  Sometimes that means you are the unlucky one having the chemical treatment done right in front of you.

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

but its still grass, grass specifically bred for golf courses

I agree you need chemicals to aid in the colour, perhaps the growth rate,a multitude of other things.....but its still grass, its still born of a seed, even after the chemicals, its still grass

It only becomes non-natural once the product itself is not grown or living, i.e. artificial grass, plastic trees etc.

teh chemicals as ill as they will probably make you, wont kill you either (unless you have a grass eating fetish),....they have to be enviromentally friendly so-as to co-exist with nature

so i maintain the notion that a golf course is a natural thing,....

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by skipneumann

Is it something that should be happening and should we do something about it? Here we are on the tee box of the 13th hole and they are spraying right in front of us

IMO......you should only be concerned with keeping the ball inside the treeline!!!  Geeeeeeesh already.  They aren't spraying poison or it will kill the friggin' grass!!!!!  Stop being such a drama queen

Do you prefer to play on live grass or dirt? ..........it takes more than water ya know.   Sheesh.....

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

LOL..............

I concur.... "Don't Lick Your balls" ......and you are good to go!!!   Hahahahaha

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Never had close-in spraying, but I did get a hatful of dry fertilizer once down in Texas. I yelled at the spreader guy to be more careful, and he said, "I only have so long to do this."

I complained to the starter in the pro shop, and he said the managers had yelled at the greens crew for not being productive enough. I guess the guy was engaging in malicious obedience to get back at the bosses. Whatever, Texas was a long time ago.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on what was sprayed, but in almost every case no one should be allowed onto the sprayed area until what every was sprayed has dried or gets watered in.

Rob Tyska

Note: This thread is 3791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!