IGNORED

Use of the right arm

Note: This thread is 4360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My brain is tired and I'll say I'm an average golfer and me focusing on my left arm is like anything you can think of that is feels wrong.  If I focus on right arm, oooh the natural righty takes over, and cast happens and rely on perfect timing.

So, for me, I focus on my grip and keeping it oh so soft, esp right hand.  Get a good take away, stay soft, and focus on my shift/turn and no early ext.  The rest happens...just like my soft right hand and arm will get tense when it needs to.

I'm not good, just an 18, but I know I'm an 18 because my short game is awful, and I'm working on it.  Not because my right or left arm does this or that...

I'm never going to have a perfect swing, but I know I can get to where I can trust it and it be repeatable.

Golf is hard already, why do we make it harder by focusing on so much?

Originally Posted by robinoso

My brain is tired and I'll say I'm an average golfer and me focusing on my left arm is like anything you can think of that is feels wrong.  If I focus on right arm, oooh the natural righty takes over, and cast happens and rely on perfect timing.

So, for me, I focus on my grip and keeping it oh so soft, esp right hand.  Get a good take away, stay soft, and focus on my shift/turn and no early ext.  The rest happens...just like my soft right hand and arm will get tense when it needs to.

I'm not good, just an 18, but I know I'm an 18 because my short game is awful, and I'm working on it.  Not because my right or left arm does this or that...

I'm never going to have a perfect swing, but I know I can get to where I can trust it and it be repeatable.

Golf is hard already, why do we make it harder by focusing on so much?

Vijay Singh and Freddie Couples agree with you.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Pleanty of people clear their left hip by sliding it forward and never rotating the hips.  It's the rotation where the power comes from.  Also, this takes energy to torque the hips so people will avoid it if they are out of shape.  Driving the right hip forces you to turn your hips versus slide them.

Bobby Jones wrote in-depthly about his swing.  He wrote that this struggle was to keep the right hand out of the swing.  In particular, you can find his writings in the book Bobby Jones On Golf.  He advocated a left hand controlled swing, a long backswing, and an overall smooth flowing motion.

Originally Posted by tshapiro

Pleanty of people clear their left hip by sliding it forward and never rotating the hips.  It's the rotation where the power comes from.  Also, this takes energy to torque the hips so people will avoid it if they are out of shape.  Driving the right hip forces you to turn your hips versus slide them.

Bobby Jones wrote in-depthly about his swing.  He wrote that this struggle was to keep the right hand out of the swing.  In particular, you can find his writings in the book Bobby Jones On Golf.  He advocated a left hand controlled swing, a long backswing, and an overall smooth flowing motion.

Then that's probably where the "common wisdom" I referred to originated.  And, maybe it worked for him.  Perhaps he was a natural lefty, or ambidextrous.  But, I'm a bit skeptical that a left hand dominant swing is a recipe for success for most righties.

Then that's probably where the "common wisdom" I referred to originated.  And, maybe it worked for him.  Perhaps he was a natural lefty, or ambidextrous.  But, I'm a bit skeptical that a left hand dominant swing is a recipe for success for most righties.

Than you would mistaken. Jack Nicklaus is a righty with a left sided motion. He says so as he describes his swing in Golf My Way. Now, I know for certain anyone who feels that the right arm is better suited to be dominant has yet to discover how to swing properly with the left. I say this because when you swing like Nicklaus or Bobby Jones you will find that either arm has more than enough power to play its role in a swingers swing. However, the left is much more powerful when utilized like a whip within a body swing than is the right. It has to do with leverage and not arm strength. Most people never figure that out because it is an elusive skill.

Than you would mistaken. Jack Nicklaus is a righty with a left sided motion. He says so as he describes his swing in Golf My Way. Now, I know for certain anyone who feels that the right arm is better suited to be dominant has yet to discover how to swing properly with the left. I say this because when you swing like Nicklaus or Bobby Jones you will find that either arm has more than enough power to play its role in a swingers swing. However, the left is much more powerful when utilized like a whip within a body swing than is the right. It has to do with leverage and not arm strength. Most people never figure that out because it is an elusive skill.

Isn't Jack Nicklaus naturally left handed?

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

• Administrator

And Ben Hogan wishes he had three right hands. So your point is what exactly?

P.S. I don't see many people "clearing their hip by sliding it forward and never rotating".

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

And Ben Hogan wishes he had three right hands. So your point is what exactly?

P.S. I don't see many people "clearing their hip by sliding it forward and never rotating".

My point exactly is that Ben Hogan had the trouble of over-coiling... this is the exactly opposite of the average golfer.  So, for Ben, turning the overall hips and thinking right hand timing was perfect... but, the exact opposite recipe for the average golfer who cannot coil.

Look at most average golfers at impact... their hips have yet to close adequately.  Those that don't think about the hips get stuck on their right.  Those who attempt to lead with them slide them forward.  Rarely, is it the case that someone over rotates them driving thier rotation ala Hogan, Jones, Fowler, Rory, etc.

Average golfers like myself usually have something else break well before impact. So even if you are thinking about hips, it's still all like a backlash on a reel on bad shots. I just want to find fairways and hit greens. Power will come auto as i progress. Ive started working more on my footwork over thinking about my arms and realized if I get balanced and turn the arms do it in their own. Maybe that's the average golfer in me, but if I focus on my feet and hips I strike it better than thinking about arms.

I think you misunderstood my premise.  I am not saying that a righty should focus on his right hand because it is stronger than his left.  I understand that power comes from club head speed (and the mass of the club), and that club head speed comes from a relaxed, tension free swing.  My premise is that a right handed player should focus on his right hand to improve balance, timing, eye hand coordination and proprioception, which, in turn, promotes a more relaxed, tension free swing, and increases repeatability.  If you find it easier to maintain your balance, timing and coordination by focusing on your left hand, then maybe it is because you are more left handed than you think.  On the other hand, perhaps all of those aspects would improve if you focused on your right hand.

• Administrator

My point exactly is that Ben Hogan had the trouble of over-coiling... this is the exactly opposite of the average golfer.  So, for Ben, turning the overall hips and thinking right hand timing was perfect... but, the exact opposite recipe for the average golfer who cannot coil.

The question is then why don't the average players "coil"? I would contend that it's that they don't know how.

I still completely disagree with you that everyone should use the left arm more and feel a completely relaxed right arm.

Originally Posted by tshapiro

Look at most average golfers at impact... their hips have yet to close adequately.  Those that don't think about the hips get stuck on their right.  Those who attempt to lead with them slide them forward.  Rarely, is it the case that someone over rotates them driving thier rotation ala Hogan, Jones, Fowler, Rory, etc.

I disagree almost entirely with that. The average golfer needs to slide his hips more and rotate less. Their weight stays too far back because they "just rotate" on the downswing. Many will "just rotate" and do so too slowly, so their hips are fairly closed at impact, but it's not a matter of them needing to "rotate more."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshapiro View Post

The question is then why don't the average players "coil"? I would contend that it's that they don't know how.

I still completely disagree with you that everyone should use the left arm more and feel a completely relaxed right arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshapiro View Post

I disagree almost entirely with that. The average golfer needs to slide his hips more and rotate less. Their weight stays too far back because they "just rotate" on the downswing. Many will "just rotate" and do so too slowly, so their hips are fairly closed at impact, but it's not a matter of them needing to "rotate more."

I think that is where I am in your last paragraph. After reading more in the slide thread I've tried to exaggerate it and dial it back. That is what I focus on and if I can get weight moved and clear my arms tend to work naturally. This is only coming from somebody who battles the turn only and early extension. I also noticed if I slide my left hip kind if starts turning on its own. I'm only speaking from average perspective and could be way off. I feel after working in the turn, that has been what caused my arms to be way off. When I shift right it all happens without thinking.

WOW would love to see the "fact" backed up

I knew at least one person would fall for that one dude. Yes, it's a fact in the small town of Gullable.

Note: This thread is 4360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!