IGNORED

What would be a ball with great spin that won't break the bank?

Note: This thread is 4325 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Right now I play the Callaway HEX Chrome ($36 a dozen) and last round I ended up hitting 6 out of bounds which is insane....I now have 3 left and can't help but wonder what else there is out there. I switched from the NXT Tour last year to the HEX Chrome this year and I love them. Same distance, but the spin on the greens is much better. I was wondering what other balls there are out there that would deliver the same performance but possibly a little cheaper.

You could check any of the dozen or so identical threads on the subject. The consensus is the Top Flite Gamer is a very solid ball around 20$, the NXT works well but is overpriced and close to a tour ball in price, and you may be able to find lost tour balls or blems or older models for a bit cheap.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Srixon Q-Star will stop.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Lostgolfballs.com i order second quality z stars for around 14 dollars. Great balls some have marks but most look new highly reccomend them order in bulk amd get free shipping

Originally Posted by blankwall

Lostgolfballs.com i order second quality z stars for around 14 dollars. Great balls some have marks but most look new highly reccomend them order in bulk amd get free shipping

Even the highest quality ProV1's are only 30 bucks a dozen.  The only thing that separates them from brand new balls are a few logos and some faint pen markings on a few.  Most were pristine.  (Based on one order of 3 dozen balls)

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

The Srixon Q-Star will stop.

Eventually.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I play the Top-Flite D2+ Feel, and have zero trouble getting it to sit immediately or back up on any green - with every iron in my bag (3i-60deg). My handicap is on the way down, if anything.

I should qualify my endorsement by saying that I don't play a spin-heavy pitch- and chip-game, so I can't speak for its quality there. Putts nice and soft thought!

I collect mine from the course i have about 200 pro v's TM Nke

most of the balls have only been played a couple times

Wilson FG Tour 4-SW

Alpha Driver

Adams Speedline 3W
Oddessy #9 Putter

Bridgestone B330-S

Bridgestone e5 are a pretty good ball when it comes to spin on a budget

Driver: Machspeed Black 9.5  

3 wood:  Insight  

Hybrid:   A4  19 degree

Irons:   CG red 4-PW  

Wedges:   CG12  56 degree and CG10 60 degree

Putter:  White Hot XG Sabertooth

I like the Gamer V2, but I don't know if availability in multiple outlets will continue since Callaway sold the Top Flite brand to Golf Galaxy/ Dick's Sporting Goods in April.

I'd agree with the Bridgestone e5 too.

If you're losing that many OB in a round though, would it make sense to consider a ball that spins a little less, rather than more?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

I'd agree with the Bridgestone e5 too.

If you're losing that many OB in a round though, would it make sense to consider a ball that spins a little less, rather than more?

No I never lose balls, I just had a terrible round... (lost 6 and have 4 left). I usually go a few rounds without losing any. Last year was my first year and I lost balls then but now I am much better. I just need a good ball that will stick to the greens with irons and wedges, and I have no problem with the type of spin that causes slices off the tee

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/hot-list/2010-06/hotlist2010_golfballs_spinchart

Looking at the chart, its 2010, but it gives you an idea, that wedge spin is primarily for premium golf balls. I personally played the Taylormade TP Black for the past two years. Its middle ground, and was on sale the past year. I don't think it sold well, alot of times it was buy a dozen get a dozen free. But the V2 gamer as the lowest prices ball with the highest wedge spin. The key is looking for 3 or more layers, and a Urethane cover. Ionomer covers tend to produce lower spin, but are more durable.

I would take a look at the new maxfli golf balls, the U3, its a three piece and Urethane cover, at a middle ground price. Save you about 10-15 bucks of the premium ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by DocPangloss

I play the Top-Flite D2+ Feel, and have zero trouble getting it to sit immediately or back up on any green - with every iron in my bag (3i-60deg). My handicap is on the way down, if anything.

I should qualify my endorsement by saying that I don't play a spin-heavy pitch- and chip-game, so I can't speak for its quality there. Putts nice and soft thought!

+1 and at a buck apiece new, can't be beat.

Beware of old dudes with old clubs and new grips.

Originally Posted by azgreg

+1 and at a buck apiece new, can't be beat.

I have used them and I find they spin well on full shots but they just don't spin much on partial shots, which is a result of the cover. Feel nice though.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Note: This thread is 4325 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!