IGNORED

Custom lie for irons

Note: This thread is 3321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When does a person need to flatten the lie of an iron? When I was swinging slightly on an outer path, I was told to get a 2* flatter lie. Now I hit straight and draw shots since I drop my arms on the down swing to get into the slot. A golf pro then told me that all my specs are standard and that with a 2* flatter lie, the toe digs into the ground a lot more. Any one can tell me? I'm planning to buy a second set of irons and I want to be educated about this before then.

Are you hitting shots on the toe?  Here's a good check to see what you need.

Draw a vertical line on the back of a ball with a sharpie and if the mark on the face isnt vertical, assuming no severe swing issues, your lie angle is bad.  The vertical line method is a more accurate form of lie angle checking than by using a lie board or impact tape.  If the line points to the left (11 o'clock) the lie is too upright, if the line points to the right ( 1 o'clock) the lie is too flat.

• Upvote 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank y, will try that. Yes, toe shots are my bad shots. Generally when I try to swing too hard and it becomes an out to in swing. I'd assume this is correct? So what does toe shots mean to you?

Originally Posted by mvmac

Draw a vertical line on the back of a ball with a sharpie and if the mark on the face isnt vertical, assuming no severe swing issues, your lie angle is bad.  The vertical line method is a more accurate form of lie angle checking than by using a lie board or impact tape.  If the line points to the left (11 o'clock) the lie is too upright, if the line points to the right ( 1 o'clock) the lie is too flat.

Question...so all things being equal.  If the lie angle of your iron is too upright will you likely have toe or heel impact?

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

I believe to upright, means you will hit toe first.. To flat means you hit heel first..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

I believe to upright, means you will hit toe first.. To flat means you hit heel first..

Sorry, my question was confusing.  I meant will it cause toe or heel impact with the ball, not the ground?

Originally Posted by Sai-Jin

Thank y, will try that.

Yes, toe shots are my bad shots. Generally when I try to swing too hard and it becomes an out to in swing. I'd assume this is correct?

So what does toe shots mean to you?

I would say the club that is more out to in will be a heel hit and the club coming too much from in to out will be a toe hit.  To me guys that early extend, head comes off the "wall" will hit it off the toe because the club can tend to be too "in".  Guys that have the head go through the "wall" will hit it off the heel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Question...so all things being equal.  If the lie angle of your iron is too upright will you likely have toe or heel impact?

Too upright would tend to hit it off the heel, too flat off the toe

Mike McLoughlin

Originally Posted by Sai-Jin

When does a person need to flatten the lie of an iron?

When I was swinging slightly on an outer path, I was told to get a 2* flatter lie.

Now I hit straight and draw shots since I drop my arms on the down swing to get into the slot.

A golf pro then told me that all my specs are standard and that with a 2* flatter lie, the toe digs into the ground a lot more.

Any one can tell me? I'm planning to buy a second set of irons and I want to be educated about this before then.

Do you like your current swing? If so, getting a fitting with a marker or lie board is great. At a 14 handicap, when you make a good swing, you may have a swing that is what you want. If you hope to change your swing, then get a static fitting based on your body and the swing you want -- set up distance from the ball and proper arm hang etc.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Interesting. I will ask for a static fitting. Thank you, I isn't know about this. Im currently 11 handicap. And I already changed my swing, so it's almost no longer the out to in path anymore. Not perfect, but my shots re straights or draws now. Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by mvmac

Too upright would tend to hit it off the heel, too flat off the toe

So could a case of the shanks be attributed to clubs that are too upright?

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

So could a case of the shanks be attributed to clubs that are too upright?

Tough to say, I'd say it's more of a swing issue.  When were talking about lie angles and hitting it off the toe or heel, 2 or 3 degrees isn't going to cause a large miss off the toe or heel.  It more about moving the contact from toe-center, heel-center to center.

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 years later...

Is this a static check?

Or, do you make a full swing and the marker leaves a mark on the club face?

This.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

How do you think the mark is transferred from the ball to the clubface? :-)

Yes, you make a vertical line, are careful about putting the line down vertically, and then hit the ball.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 months later...

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Mulligans

How do you think the mark is transferred from the ball to the clubface?

Yes, you make a vertical line, are careful about putting the line down vertically, and then hit the ball.

Is it possible to lay a ball on the turf or even a tee with at least 1 degree of accuracy? I don't think I could even see the difference in 5 degrees. 5 degrees is a little over 1/16 inch rotation on the circumference of the ball, really? So if I can't, how can I say, the irons need to be adjusted 1 degree flat because of the line transferred to the club face? I say if you are not making crooked divots and the ball goes where you aim (most of the time) then the lie adjustment is good enough. What say you?

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

• Administrator
Is it possible to lay a ball on the turf or even a tee with at least 1 degree of accuracy? I don't think I could even see the difference in 5 degrees. 5 degrees is a little over 1/16 inch rotation on the circumference of the ball, really? So if I can't, how can I say, the irons need to be adjusted 1 degree flat because of the line transferred to the club face? I say if you are not making crooked divots and the ball goes where you aim (most of the time) then the lie adjustment is good enough. What say you?

I think… you'd be surprised how much of an angle you can guess.

Guess the angle between these lines:

I would not pay much attention to divots.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!