IGNORED

The punch shot as a swing Rx

Note: This thread is 4179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Early on when I started playing I noticed that whenever I needed to hit a punch shot for whatever reason (recovery, overhanging branches, wind..) I always made crisp clean contact.  We're talking about a 2/3 takeaway (hands to ~10:00) with a sawed-off follow through. So, because back then my full swing ball striking was pretty bad, I actually spent a year or more with the punch as my normal swing until I started to strike the ball consistently and built it back up to a more full swing.  These days, I still revert to the punch as a swing fixer when things go awry on the course.  It conveys proper timing and clean contact and puts the confidence back in the brain.  Sometimes all it takes is 3 or 4 punches and I'll be back to normal.  The only thing is, I kind of feel like it's cheating or taking the easy way out instead of fixing the flaw with my full swing.  Any thoughts on this method of remedy?

The real reason I'm asking about this is my son has been playing for 2 yrs and is on the HS golf team, and I'm wondering as his coach (the team's coach is really the track & field coach and doesn't offer any teaching) should I instill this as an on-course remedy for when he derails?

dak4n6

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Early on when I started playing I noticed that whenever I needed to hit a punch shot for whatever reason (recovery, overhanging branches, wind..) I always made crisp clean contact.  We're talking about a 2/3 takeaway (hands to ~10:00) with a sawed-off follow through. So, because back then my full swing ball striking was pretty bad, I actually spent a year or more with the punch as my normal swing until I started to strike the ball consistently and built it back up to a more full swing.  These days, I still revert to the punch as a swing fixer when things go awry on the course.  It conveys proper timing and clean contact and puts the confidence back in the brain.  Sometimes all it takes is 3 or 4 punches and I'll be back to normal.  The only thing is, I kind of feel like it's cheating or taking the easy way out instead of fixing the flaw with my full swing.  Any thoughts on this method of remedy?

The real reason I'm asking about this is my son has been playing for 2 yrs and is on the HS golf team, and I'm wondering as his coach (the team's coach is really the track & field coach and doesn't offer any teaching) should I instill this as an on-course remedy for when he derails?

For me the punch shot is the easiest way to practice proper swing dynamics.  ie flat left wrist at impact, forward swing bottom.  I would absolutely instill this approach with younger golfers.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

That is my go to motion when I have to put a ball in play.  Try a full follow through with the 2/3 back swing.  The ball goes nearly as far but it is much more consistent.  I'll bet if you took video of yourself you might see that your 2/3 swing looks fine and your full swing looks like an over swing.  Food for thought.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I usually choose a punch shot instead of a gap wedge from 100 yards and in unless the pin is tucked behind something nasty.  I would definitely teach it younger players.  I've got more confidence in it than in any other shot I hit.

Mine is the opposite - the punch shot fouls me up.    I've had success with the punch shot from under tree's with the 4 iron ... but I consistently hit the most ungodliest of hooks with that stroke when I play the ball back, really shut the clubface & use excessive lag ... more times than not I make nice contact & keep it nice and low, but I have to allow for about 50 yards of hook.      My tendency is always a draw, but it so much exhaggerated when I try the punch shot ... curious if anybody else has this issue ?

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

its my number 2 swing fix drill on the range and the course,.....

number one being thumbs to the sky cus my swing gets flat and i shank it,...

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

love the 3/4 punch wedge from 100-110 yds, and it helps me get the feeling of ball first contact

Driver: Machspeed Black 9.5  

3 wood:  Insight  

Hybrid:   A4  19 degree

Irons:   CG red 4-PW  

Wedges:   CG12  56 degree and CG10 60 degree

Putter:  White Hot XG Sabertooth

I used to hate the punch shot because I couldn't hit it for anything. It was full swing or nothing. But as I improved and actually learned some half-decent swing fundamentals, I found punch shots to be a great way to practice those fundamentals. I love practicing it now, and usually warm up with a few.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Quote:
That is my go to motion when I have to put a ball in play.  Try a full follow through with the 2/3 back swing.  The ball goes nearly as far but it is much more consistent.  I'll bet if you took video of yourself you might see that your 2/3 swing looks fine and your full swing looks like an over swing.  Food for thought.

You are correct. I have videoed my swing, including the punch, and it does indeed look fuller than it feels. Sometimes what felt like 2/3 looked more like 9/10, but because it's tight and compact (no looseness or excessive movements) it feels shorter.  However, like most of us, I try to get that extra distance out of most shots which usually makes me take full swings. Then, I'll enter into a phase where I lose it, and have to once again reset with the punch. Maybe I should just permanently dial back a bit..

dak4n6

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Maybe I should just permanently dial back a bit..

Probably a good idea...my guess is that most Pros rarely swing 100% "full" on most mid to short irons.  Using a swing that works for you is certainly not cheating.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

• 5 months later...

I have been practicing the punch shot.

I'm very inconistent with my irons on a full shot, so I have been working on the punch.

I'm trying to get the lofted fairway woods out of my bag, but I need to be able to hit a consistent 4&5 iron rather than playing a 7&9 wood.

I need to get on the range, as I have been practicing at an indoor range. My 4 and 5 iron punch shots "feel" twice as good as my full iron shots, so i assume they are traveling a good distance.

In the Puma Orange Formation Stand Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ (10.25)

Fairway Woods: Callaway Diablo Octane (3,5,7,9)

Irons: Mizuno JPX 800 Pro (6-PW) 

Wedges: Mizuno JPX (50, 55, & 60)

Putter: Odyssey Versa #1

Ball: Titleist DT Solo

Note: This thread is 4179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!