• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ajst22

What would a good swing speed be for a 16 year old guy?

5 posts in this topic

I am 16 and I am 5'6", about 115lbs (small guy) and started golfing last summer. I drive the ball about 215yards or so on average (I am on my highschool's golf team and 200+ yards is good). I read that the average swing speed for any golfer (driver) is between 75-85mph.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

You probably won't get many replies to your post due to the nature of the question. If you swing 100mph+ or 80mph, the issue is where the ball ends up when it comes to rest.

I've played with guys who swing the club way slower than me and know that they've got game. If I am hitting a 9 iron and they are hitting a 6 it is because they swing slower, it doesn't much matter if they can hit the ball to their intended target.

If you are a student of the game and you continue to grow, you will surely gain clubhead speed. Focus on developing a good, repeatable swing and enjoy it. You can obsess over your swing speed when you are old - like 30

Originally Posted by Old1964

You probably won't get many replies to your post due to the nature of the question. If you swing 100mph+ or 80mph, the issue is where the ball ends up when it comes to rest.

I've played with guys who swing the club way slower than me and know that they've got game. If I am hitting a 9 iron and they are hitting a 6 it is because they swing slower, it doesn't much matter if they can hit the ball to their intended target.

If you are a student of the game and you continue to grow, you will surely gain clubhead speed. Focus on developing a good, repeatable swing and enjoy it. You can obsess over your swing speed when you are old - like 30

I do have a nice swing and I have been told so by a few pros and it is very consistent, but I am just curious. I will admit that when I play with older people I sometimes feel inadequate

Originally Posted by ajst22

I do have a nice swing and I have been told so by a few pros and it is very consistent, but I am just curious. I will admit that when I play with older people I sometimes feel inadequate

At 115 lbs you weigh about as much as an athletic full grown woman.  I would expect 80mph would be good.

for a 16 guy a good speed( for the driver) is about 110 mph but if you has started just last summer it is nice;)