IGNORED

2012 HP Byron Nelson Championship Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4330 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Another great field this week in Irving, TX at the site of Keegan Bradely's first professional win.  Matt Kuchar will be looking to keep up his strong play.

Here are the some experts picks

Expert picks: HP Byron Nelson Championship

Expert
Pick order Player selected
Bill
Cooney
ADAM SCOTT . Scott maintains his game is close to top form -- and I believe him. He tied for 15th at THE PLAYERS and tied for eighth at the Masters. Toss in the fact that he won this event in 2008 and tied for third in 2006, and Scott is the logical choice.
Brian
Wacker
KEEGAN BRADLEY . He's the defending champion here and leads the PGA TOUR in the all-around category. With a tough course looming again at TPC Four Seasons, I don't see anything outside a top five from Keegan.
If Wacker had the top pick ... Bradley
Amanda
Balionis
PHIL MICKELSON . Mickelson is making his first start at the HP Byron Nelson since 2007. Lefty won this event in 1996, and the newly-inducted World Golf Hall of Famer has been playing some of the most consistent golf we've seen from him in years.
If Balionis had the top pick ... Mickelson
Lauren
Deason
JOHNSON WAGNER . Wagner won the Sony Open in Hawaii at the start of the year and has notched three top-10s after that. He already has one win in Texas (where he was also born) and tied for 12th at the HP Byron Nelson in 2010.
If Deason had the top pick ... Scott
Helen
Ross
MATT KUCHAR . Yes, I know it's difficult to win consecutive events, especially when you've put it all on the line in a grueling event like THE PLAYERS, but Kuchar is as steady and unflappable as they come. He tied for sixth in Dallas a year ago.
If Ross had the top pick ... Mickelson
Chris
Dunham
RYAN PALMER . Second last year. Sunday 76s at the Shell Houston Open and Valero Texas Open turned potential top 10s into finishes of T21 and T32. Hopefully he finds good mojo less than 30 miles from his home.
If Dunham had the top pick ... Palmer
John
Swantek
LOUIS OOSTHUIZEN . I'm going to toss out the MC at THE PLAYERS because he just hasn't figured out TPC Sawgrass in limited appearances. I'll focus instead on this three-week trend; third in Houston, second at the Masters, victory in Malaysia. .
If Swantek had the top pick ... Mickelson
John
Schwarb
JOHN ROLLINS . Got off to a fast start to 2011 but has cooled off. He's since recovered with a T7 in New Orleans and T25 at THE PLAYERS, and leads in total driving. Little bit of a hunch -- and no comments about where hunches have gotten me so far, please.
If Schwarb had the top pick ... Bradley
Ryan
Smithson
JASON DUFNER . He is still hitting the ball better than anyone on TOUR right now. He would have done better on the weekend at THE PLAYERS had some putts fell for him. He's not done winning this year. Good track for him this week.
If Smithson had the top pick ... Bradley
Anne
Szeker
JASON DAY . Yes, he missed the cut at THE PLAYERS, but the week before he was T9 at Wells Fargo. The 2010 HP Byron Nelson champ was also fifth here last year. The Texas resident loves this course and should post another good result this week.
If Szeker had the top pick ... Scott
Mike
McAllister
ERNIE ELS . A couple of missed cuts in his last three starts has slowed Els' momentum. But hard to ignore his results in the last three months. First start here since 2006, but hard to ignore his track record here -- a win in 1995 and T13 or better in his last four starts.
If McAllister had the top pick ... Scott

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Byron Nelson was the game's ultimate gentleman and a personal hero of mine.  It was at this tournament before his death that he was kind enough to pose for a picture with me.  I still have it and treasure the time talking with him.  He was like talking to a member of the family he was so interested and genuine.  I am always happy to watch his tournament.  I enjoyed Ben Crenshaw's tribute to Nelson on the golf channel as well.  Few people know all the kind things Byron Nelson did, and I surely do not but I know of some of his contributions and he was truly a special man.  Plus, tonight the Rangers are playing the A's and guess who is in the stands... Phil Mickelson.  Pretty cool for Ranger fans.

It would be fun to have another young gun, first time winner this year, but I don't have a clue who to guess it might be.

RC

Would love to see Ernie win his second Nelson or Jason Day officially turn his season around with another win at the Nelson. It's gonna be sunny, windy, dry, and fast--just like the Aussies and South African's grew up with.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Interesting story this week.

Golf Channel's Jason Sobel has the bizarre tale of Joey Snyder III , who's technically been on the PGA Tour for the last six years, but he's hardly played any golf. Due to an injury and several doctors who misdiagnosed his problem, Snyder has been sitting at home, but he's been able to keep his PGA Tour status.

Four months of that. Three months with another doctor. There were even procedures done to potentially alleviate the pain. In late-2009, Snyder underwent surgery for a sports hernia, and then was told immediately afterward that he needed to have surgery on his right hip, as well. Neither solved the problem. He still couldn’t swing the golf club.

All during this time, he heard the whispers from fellow PGA Tour members. When a player with full status is injured, he not only receives a medical extension which allows him to resume playing privileges once healthy, but also a monthly stipend during that absence.

And this could be the craziest part of the story. During the six years he's been off the Tour, he and his wife had two children, and they've never seen him go to work.

“I’ve been at home every single day of their lives. It’s been great. It’s been the only thing that’s kept me sane,” he explains. “They said, ‘Daddy, why do you have to go?’ I told them, ‘This is what Daddy does for a living. I know you haven’t seen it, but hopefully you’ll get to see what Daddy does.’”

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Somewhat similar story for

T44 212 USA Hank Kuehne -1 F -1 color info 69 69

CURRENT YEAR PGA TOUR HIGHLIGHTS
Had not competed on the PGA TOUR since the 2007 season due to a back injury but played in his first event in five years when he teed it up at The Honda Classic. Shot rounds of 70-74 at PGA National GC to miss the cut. Has 18 events to earn $636,221 this season to gain full exemption.

HANK KUEHNE - 2012 RESULTS

DATE

TOURNAMENT NAME

POS

ROUNDS

TOTAL SCORE

TO PAR

OFFICIAL MONEY

1 2 3 4 5
3/04/12 The Honda Classic CUT 70 74 -- -- -- 144 +4 --
3/18/12 Transitions Championship CUT 74 78 -- -- -- 152 +10 --
4/15/12 RBC Heritage CUT 73 76 -- -- -- 149 +7 --
4/22/12 Valero Texas Open T67 72 74 74 78 -- 298 +10 $12,710.00
4/29/12 Zurich Classic of New Orleans T62 71 70 70 73 -- 284 -4 $13,632.00
5/06/12 Wells Fargo Championship CUT 73 75 -- -- -- 148 +4 --

Bold = scores par or better

*=Unofficial Event
EVENTS
PLAYED
FINISH FEDEXCUP
1 ST 2 ND 3 RD TOP 10 TOP 25 MADE CUT CUT WD MONEY POINTS STANDING
6 -- -- -- -- -- 2 4 -- $26,342 10 225TH

http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2012/02/kuehne-making-first-start-in-five-years-at-honda.html talks about the blood spinning therapy he got in Germany.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Dicky Pride @ -4!  Roll Tide!

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Kuchar could become the top ranked American player with a win or solo second.  dufner would move to #1 in Fed Ex Cup with a win- both finished strong today after slow starts.

Why the three-some pairings going into the weekend? The last group will tee off at 11:45 AM, which is kind of early. The forecast looks perfectly clear, so I don't think they're trying to beat bad weather. BTW, will be attending the Byron on Saturday.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

How good is Jason Dufner hitting the ball right now?  #1 in GIR, #2 in driving accuracy and #20 in driving distance at 313 yards.  He is leading the tournament despite losing 3.5 shots on the greens to the average tour player ranking 59th in putts at 30.7 and 65th with 1.89 per GIR.

The 3 guys t2 have all gained 2-4 shots putting meaning that Dufner would be ahead by 6-8 shots if he had putted like them.

Originally Posted by bwdial

Dicky Pride @ -4!  Roll Tide!

now -7, t2.  Having a good week so far (and decent year with limited opportunities), but talk about the ultimate journeyman- wins a tourney his rookie year (1994), but hasn`t finished in the top 125 this century.  Has won over 4 M (including 500 K on NW), but has only made 162 of 380 cuts on the PGA Tour (and 71 of 121 on NW).

OK so what's with the cry of "mashed potatoes"?

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Dufner -11

Pride -10

WAR EAGLE!!!

Oooh!  Burn.

*cough* 42-14 *cough*

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Originally Posted by bwdial

Oooh!  Burn.

*cough* 42-14 *cough*

2010 Iron Bowl. How's that taste?

In the spirit of disclosure, I didn't attend Auburn, but my dear friend did, and she adopted me into the Auburn Family. Further, Nick Saban & I attended the same college. So since Kent State sucks at football & I live in SEC-Land, War Damn Eagle.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

2010 Iron Bowl. How's that taste?

Horrible... but it was sandwiched between National Championships, so there's a sweet aftertaste.

Auburn = Spam.

Note: This thread is 4330 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!