Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2nd Swing Golf

A Book Detailing Minnesota's Golf Course History

1 post in this topic

fields and fairways.jpg

"Former St. Paul Pioneer Press reporter Rick Shefchik's big, comprehensive "From Fields to Fairways: Classic Golf Clubs of Minnesota" delivers more than you ever thought you'd want to know about golf's beginnings in Minnesota, starting more than a century ago, when courses were cleared by horse and shovel from farmland and forest."  -- Jeffy Zgoda, StarTribune

Here for Review of 'From Fields to Fairways:  Classic Golf Clubs of Minnesota'

I don't know how many of you out there hail from or currently reside in Minnesota, but I think this is a great book for anyone who is interested in the history of US golf courses in general, as I think this one by Rick Shefchik sets a great precedent-- I'd like to see the same kind of book on other big golf course states.

Maybe you know of some?

Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/From-Fields-Fairways-Classic-Minnesota/dp/0816677328

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Popular Now

• What'd You Shoot Today?
      Played 9 holes today and started out pretty good (for me) w/ 5 bogies in a row, then doubled the last four. Still, not a bad round.  
    • Anyone Else Use 'Good Shots' to Measure How Good a Round Was?
      This is what I do as well.  If I play a poor round then there are a lot of these, so I don't really dwell too much, but if I played a good round, then it frequently boiled down to a couple of really good to great shots, a whole bunch of manageable ones, and a couple awful ones.  The awful ones are the ones I feel should be entirely avoidable, so those are the ones I try and recount later and assess what went wrong.
    • My Swing (PumaAttack)
      I have been working with an Evolvr coach for a while and he has not addressed those concerns at a2 and in fact called my position a perfect example and something he would show to other students.  So your instructions do not match up for me.   It is frustrating to hear you make comments like that when they don't match up with what my coach says.   I still don't get why it matters if it goes from shallow to slightly steeper on the downswing.   Look at Furyks swing, is he hitting all the key positions?  If I hit A5 to A6 why does A3 matter anymore? If Robert Rock had the same angle at 5 as he does at 3 he would miss the ball too..  What is the difference in steep to shallow?  OR shallow to steep, but still outside the ball?  
    • Anyone Else Use 'Good Shots' to Measure How Good a Round Was?
      No because it's pretty rare I hit a really good shot. Many are happy accidents. Good is relative to par for me. If I gave myself a chance it's a decent shot. But most don't end up as I conceived it in my mind and I know that in my planning that it's a big target. I think in certain areas, miss right to get up and down if I know going for the green brings trouble into play. If it ends up right of the green and leaves me a pitch uphill it's good whether I hit it to my number for that club or chunk it 15 yards short.
    • My Swing (PumaAttack)
      @pumaAttack I didn't tell you to "model" your swing after Ko's, I was giving you an example of someone that is doing the opposite of what you're doing. Face looking "down" at 2, standing the shaft up at 3, this will make the shallowing move a lot more natural.  Exactly, you have to consider the entire motion. When the swing goes "shallow to steep" consistency is going to be hard to achieve because of the compensations you have to make with the sweetspot. Yes at 6 you may be pointing the shaft outside the ball but it's also steeper than you were at 3, these things matter. If you had the same shaft alignment at 5 that you do at 3 you'd miss the ball, so you in order to make contact you have to steepen the shaft. While the shaft is still outside the ball at 5 the sweetspot is going to move differently than if you were "steep to shallow". @pumaAttack I wasn't aware that you were still on Evolvr or that they had already made recommendations, I'm sure your instructor has mentioned the backswing and that it's part of their gameplan to address it. I was just trying to help, you mentioned you are trying to shallow the shaft on the downswing, I saw where you were on the downswing so I figured I'd post.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

1. bigtosh90
      bigtosh90
      (26 years old)
    2. dopplegvnger
      dopplegvnger
      (24 years old)
    3. Frank62
      Frank62
      (54 years old)