IGNORED

New Product to Hit the Golf World in July

ProtoSports
Note: This thread is 4227 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How often do you use video to breakdown your swing on the range?

• Every time I go to the range
    • Every once in a while
    • After I have a lesson with my teacher
    • Never
    • Only if I have a friend there to video my swing for me

We all know that video has taken a huge role in sports. We golfers are the athletes that have utilized video the most, for swing breakdown and improvement. However, golfers are going away from the traditional video camera for video. Players and teachers are using iPhones and iPads to do a majority of their filming.

Why?? Everyone is already carrying around their phones in their pockets. Plus, with the advancement in technology, the camera quality on an iPhone is just as good if not better than the average video camera. It is so easy to pull out your phone, take a video, and look at it later on your computer... we all do it!

There is only one problem we face when taking video with our iPhones, especially if you are using it for swing analysis. Realistically, there no proper way to set it up. You have two options, ask a friend, or figure out a makeshift stand off your golf bag or cart. Both of these are realistic options but, they do not ensure the safety of your phone or the quality of the video. (human eror, shaky video, falling off your bag or cart) If you have experienced this, then you have to check out this new product:

ProtoSports has created a device that allows you to connect your iPhone with an alignment rod, in order to set up a mono pod camera base for video practically anywhere on the golf course. We know that your average teacher, or player is going to buy a tripod for video using the iPhone. There is really no need for it at all. The holster is simple, easy, lightweight, and portable. Not to mention it is cost effective. You now have a stand that you can take with you anywhere. It sets up in seconds, and you are utilizing tools that you already own. You can take videos on your phone, email them to friends, or upload them straight to the computer in no time at all.

slideshow_3.jpg?1699

You can check out our product at www.protosports.com. Also if you have any questions feel free to contact me at dkstiles08@yahoo.com.

We have a funding campaign going on at Kickstarter which you can access through our site or by visiting the link directly:

www.kickstarter.com/projects/667763688/the-protosports-holster-for-the-iphone

Yea I am pretty excited about it. I am going to get some pictures up of guys using it on the range... fingers crossed during the US Open. But definitely during some tournaments in July. Its amazing how many guys out on tour as well as just guys that play golf as a hobby use video for their swings. You can check out the website at www.protosports.com and "like" our page on facebook ProtoSports . Those will be the first places pictures and videos will be up for our newest users on tour.  Thanks for the support.

You need to add something between every time and once in a while.  I do it about once per week but not every time.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yea you are right. Sorry for the confusion. I would say that would be every once in a while. I don't think that I can change the answers now. Thanks for giving me a heads up.

Will this be available for more than just the iPhone?

There are lots of people that do not use them and it would be great if with could have something for us too.

What about windy conditions, I figure people wouldn't take it out in those conditions, but some might, how will the alignment sticks hold up? And will we get a moving or shaky picture because of the wind?

Nike SQ Machspeed STR8 FIT Driver

Nike Ignite irons 3H-PW

Nike OZ Putter

Right now it is only available for the iPhone. Any decision that we make in regards to creating one for different phones will be market driven. If there is enough interest shown for other phones, then it may be something we will create in the future.

As far as windy conditions, the alignment rods hold up well. In very windy conditions it can move around a little bit, simply because the alignment rods are pliable. Keep in mind that most people wont practice in extremely windy conditions. But if you decide to, there are also options with the holster that you can use because of its functionality. You can place it anywhere on the rod (not just at the very top) That will give you more steady video in the wind. Also, you can slide the alignment rod further into the ground when it gets windy. Both of these options work well in windy conditions.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. Thanks for your input El-Boogie 1975.

• Upvote 1

Why would I buy this over any of a dozen monopods (or tripods) that are already out on the market? The 4s is almost usable as a golf camera at 60fps mode. Hopefully the 5 bumps that up to 120.

Hey X129

I am glad that you asked. First you will have to inform me of any mono pods right now that work in the same way as the alignment rods. I am unfamiliar with any right now. (The alignment rod actually slides into the ground.)

In regards to your question of why you should buy it over a tripod. ProtoSports is only manufacturing the holster. That is the case designed for the iPhone, and we are not the manufacturer of the rods. Also, we are not competing against tripods for this reason. You are not going to go to the store and explore the difference between what the holster/alignment rod has to offer over a tripod and what it has to offer and vice versa. If you are set on purchasing a tripod and you are used to using a tripod, then you should definitely buy one. It will be more stable than an alignment rod but it will be much more cumbersome.

The holster is simply an alternative solution to what a tripod offers when you are on the golf course. A tripod is very difficulty to carry around because of its weight. It wont fit in your golf bag and the average tripod cost anywhere from $50 to $100 dollars.

In comparison: The holster fits in your golf bag, and alignment rods fit into your golf bag. The holster costs 25 dollars and it will be with you every time you go to the range or to the course. It gives you flexibility to take some quick videos when you want and then store it back in your bag.

Tripods are great, but hopefully now you can see how the holster can give golfers another option.

In regards to your statement about the frames per second. You should look into the applications designed for swing video breakdown for golfers in the app store. The frame by frame is almost identical to what you will get with a camera just FYI. I am sure the iPhone 5 will be even better though you are right.

First google: http://www.slashgear.com/twig-pod-folding-monopod-sticks-in-the-ground-for-hands-free-photos-08158010/ now this one doesn't do the iPod directly (I have seen others that do). There are also tripods that are under a 1 lb and fold up small enough to slide into you bag just like another club. Maybe a 2 dollar piece of injection molded plastic is better for a lot of people. I can't really comment on that as I haven't researched your market at all.

As far as your camera comment, I don't think you understand the problem. Video at 30fps of a golf swing sucks. It is all blury and you can only see gross movements like the head popping up and the like. You will not be able to see what the club is doing. Video at 240fps (assuming quick enough shutter) is not.  Has nothing to do with the camera app. Playing 30fps slowly does not help.

Originally Posted by ProtoSports

Hey X129

I am glad that you asked. First you will have to inform me of any mono pods right now that work in the same way as the alignment rods. I am unfamiliar with any right now. (The alignment rod actually slides into the ground.)

In regards to your question of why you should buy it over a tripod. ProtoSports is only manufacturing the holster. That is the case designed for the iPhone, and we are not the manufacturer of the rods. Also, we are not competing against tripods for this reason. You are not going to go to the store and explore the difference between what the holster/alignment rod has to offer over a tripod and what it has to offer and vice versa. If you are set on purchasing a tripod and you are used to using a tripod, then you should definitely buy one. It will be more stable than an alignment rod but it will be much more cumbersome.

The holster is simply an alternative solution to what a tripod offers when you are on the golf course. A tripod is very difficulty to carry around because of its weight. It wont fit in your golf bag and the average tripod cost anywhere from $50 to $100 dollars.

In comparison: The holster fits in your golf bag, and alignment rods fit into your golf bag. The holster costs 25 dollars and it will be with you every time you go to the range or to the course. It gives you flexibility to take some quick videos when you want and then store it back in your bag.

Tripods are great, but hopefully now you can see how the holster can give golfers another option.

In regards to your statement about the frames per second. You should look into the applications designed for swing video breakdown for golfers in the app store. The frame by frame is almost identical to what you will get with a camera just FYI. I am sure the iPhone 5 will be even better though you are right.

That's a really cool product. I am really glad that you shared it with me, and I am sure that the tripods you are talking about work great. My product can do the same things but just in a different way.

The thing that makes my product cool is that it uses things people already use. (So it becomes cost effective) Alignment rods are some of the most effective tools used for training purposes. Now, with my product, when you need video, they can double as a mono pod for videoing.  When you are not videoing you just use them for alignment. Its pretty simple how it works.

There are a lot of people that can appreciate a new product, and obviously you are not one of those people.

I think that I do understand. Videoing with the iPhone has worked great for me, as well as many other athletes in this world. It is a great tool and people will continue to use it. Sorry that you have so many personal issues with it. It sounds like the holster will not work for you, but that is quite alright. I am sure others will enjoy it, and I am sure that someday apple will make a phone with camera quality up to your standards.

X129 Why would someone want to carry around extra gear (such as your mono-pod) when they likely already have an alignment rod in their bag.  I know at my club 5 out of 10 players have an alignment rod in the bag, i even play some courses that have alignment rods on the range for your use.  This product is taking advantage of what people already likely have or have access to.

Don't be so short sighted and bash a guys product.   It is a product that serves a specific role... It doesnt do everything perfectly but it likely does what it was constructed to do very well.

You want to analyze your swing at 300 frames a second you will need an additional 20 pounds worth of gear...   BUT... if you want to film your shot on a par 3, or simply film your swing to send to a friend or load on youtube this product looks perfect.

I am all for people creating new products for the golfing world, it really pushes inovation and keeps the market place interesting.  Hell, the PGA Tour Superstore wouldnt be too fun if new gear didnt come out, would it?

I think this is a great idea...you guys should make them for other smartphones as well (BB, Android, etc). This is pretty much a market all its own as far as I know

• Administrator
Originally Posted by John190190

You want to analyze your swing at 300 frames a second you will need an additional 20 pounds worth of gear...   BUT... if you want to film your shot on a par 3, or simply film your swing to send to a friend or load on youtube this product looks perfect.

Casio FH-100. Small gorillapod.

That's not 20 pounds of gear. Not even 1.

I'm all for people filming their swings. A camera of any kind (iPhone @ 30 FPS) beats no camera at all. Of course, higher framerates are better, but if you don't care quite that much, an iPhone is better than nothing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Casio FH-100.

Small gorillapod.

That's not 20 pounds of gear. Not even 1.

LOL, you just proved my point....isnt that like an $800 camera.  The product above is making use of what other people likely already have, An Iphone, and an Alignment Rod.

Plus i dont think i want to carry a $800 camera to the range with me...call me crazy.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by John190190

LOL, you just proved my point....isnt that like an $800 camera.  The product above is making use of what other people likely already have, An Iphone, and an Alignment Rod.

Plus i dont think i want to carry a $800 camera to the range with me...call me crazy.

The camera was about $200, and your point said 20 pounds. So no, I didn't prove your point. Lots of players take high-speed cameras to the range with them. My FH-100 is in my bag so I can use it on the course, too.

Kind of off topic though, your really bad guesses at the weights and prices of things, so let's just let this thread talk about the Protosports product.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't have an iphone, and honestly I don't want one.  I've seen just how fragile they are!  Myself, I would much rather spend the $$ on a really good camera like the one Erik mentioned.

I like my method though.... I velcro my Blackberry to my Home Depot alignment rod.  Works just the same for less than $1.

$800 camera, $800 iphone, $800 worth of clubs..... it's all relative.

My iPing cradle mounts on my alignments sticks too and I can use it for both putting and video.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4227 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!