IGNORED

Ben Hogan Would Be Irrelevant Today

Vijay4LIFE
Note: This thread is 3204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ooh, is this from Highlights Magazine?!?!?  I love these!!!

Let's see ...

Different hat

Long sleeves vs. short sleeves

Crowd in background vs. bunker and water hazard.

Shirt collar size.

Different type of tee marker

Hmmm, that's all I see.  What did I miss?

You missed one huge difference but of course its not visual.The guy on the left had a mental game that I seriously doubt anyone other than the few legends of golf have.Ben Hogan would destroy these guys today on mentality alone.

You missed one huge difference but of course its not visual.The guy on the left had a mental game that I seriously doubt anyone other than the few legends of golf have.Ben Hogan would destroy these guys today on mentality alone.

Just his stare, alone. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 5 months later...
So, OP, you're saying Ben Hogan is irrelevant because he couldn't hit a ball as far with a Persimmon stick as a 25 year old can hit it with a titanium stick... Yawn. Wake me up when you have a brain, or when you decide to return to your troll thread and defend your idiocy.

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

So, OP, you're saying Ben Hogan is irrelevant because he couldn't hit a ball as far with a Persimmon stick as a 25 year old can hit it with a titanium stick...

Yawn. Wake me up when you have a brain, or when you decide to return to your troll thread and defend your idiocy.

@danL

The OP was banned from this site on June 7, 2012.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 months later...

So, I definitely didn't read all 10 pages of this thread.  Especially since the OP was obviously just a whackadoodle and was banned from the site.  But, I'll throw in just a couple of comments.  The first thing I would say is that pretty much every golfer in the world that came after Ben Hogan has acknowledged him as pretty much the best ball striker ever.  And almost everybody acknowledges that he was probably the best course manager ever.  Obviously there are some comparisons.  There have been some great ball strikers that came after.  And great course managers that came after.  But they are pretty much all judged against Hogan.

And anybody who knows anything at all about playing golf knows that if you are a great ball striker and can manager your way around the course, you'll be right in the thick of things to win anytime to tee it up.  So, to say he would be irrelevant is just so ridiculous.  Just plain crazy talk.

Would he be the best ever?  Who knows.  Totally separate discussion.  And a fun one.  Most of the posts here all seem to know that it's a fun discussion to have and just part of the game to compare generations.

Anyway, that's my $0.02.

And let's face it, his company produced some of the most beautiful irons ever.  That has to worth something!

If anything, I would say Hogan was more talented than today's players. I'd be lucky to break 120 with the clubs he had to play with. The slightest mishit, and it's like hitting a rock.

- Disc Golfer

It was Dave Phillips and I strongly disagree it's "completely different mechanics". Whether it's players now or in the 50's, great ball strikers share the same commonalities, there's about 5 of them

I also think Dave is joking and exaggerating when he says they can't get it in the air, he doesn't mean they're topping it or hitting worm burners. I'm sure they are launching it lower and if they are hitting Pro V1's, yes it's going to be tough to carry the ball as far because the ball spins a lot less.

http://www.golf.com/instruction/johnny-miller-peter-kostis-dave-phillips-golf-magazine-interview

What is completely different about these two pictures?

Shutter speed! :-P

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants-- Sir Isaac Newton

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with you.

Just like the NCAA champs of the 40s and 50s couldn't hang with modern day players, Hogan too would be a not factor for the most part.

Hogan might not be as dominant today but few of today's pros would have a chance back then hitting persimmon, playing balatas and shaping one iron blades.

Note: This thread is 3204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!