IGNORED

Wearing a Watch while Golfing?

ajst22
Note: This thread is 4028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you wear your watch when you golf?

• Yes, Always
    • No, Never
    • Sometimes

I wear both watch and ring when playing.  I wear a Casio G-Shock with a solar rechargeable battery and a receiver for the time signal from the atomic clock in Boulder Colorado.  It gets the signal even down here in the Bahamas.  It's never even so much as one second off, never needs a battery, and it's been on ocean dives down to 150 feet.  Seems nearly indestructible.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by rehmwa

What's a watch?

As for wearing something on my wrist - I hate that at normal times, but while doing any activity?  absolutely not.  There is zero upside for watches, bracelets, necklaces, etc in ANY sport that has motion.

But I'm minimalist - I don't really get guys that wear jewelry.  Including watches.  I have great aunts that like jewelry.  Good for them.

Army Special Forces guys are pretty fond of Rolex professional series (Submariner, Explorer, GMT-Master) watches.  What pu$$ies.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

Army Special Forces guys are pretty fond of Rolex professional series (Submariner, Explorer, GMT-Master) watches.  What pu$$ies.

True - I can come up with scenarios where it's a good tool.  I just don't do a lot of that stuff (long distance running, diffusing bombs and tactical ops, delivering kidnapping ransoms to a devious and timed out route where missing the drop points by seconds are life and death, etc, the normal stuff).  And Army SF types should get to feel pretty too - they've earned it.

Don't take offense because I call it jewelry, it's just an opinion - everyone has one.  It's not like I'm a political animal and want to take my subjective opinions and outlaw gold chains and watches.  I just don't choose it for myself.

Bill - 

I own 4 watches, including a pocket watch that was a wedding gift. I'm completely secure in my masculinity, thank you very much. Andrew Rice did a short, not very scientific study on wearing a watch while playing golf. I don't normally wear mine (it ends up in the bag along with my cell and wallet, even at the range) and this link seems to show a slight decrease in swing speed while wearing a watch - [URL=http://www.andrewricegolf.com/2012/09/when-you-play-watch-or-no-watch/]http://www.andrewricegolf.com/2012/09/when-you-play-watch-or-no-watch/[/URL]

OMG! how could I not have realized .... it seems so obvious to me now ... if I weren't wearing the Skagen I would have cleared all those greenside bunkers and made par. Scratch that - I do worse from the short grass than the bunkers.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

1) A pair of designer jeans that cost more than $150; 2) Callouses on his thumbs from texting; or 3) A manpurse to carry his near-tablet-sized smartphone

Hey! I'm 20-something and don't wear a watch, but my jeans are "freedom cut" thank you very much! :-) (Also, $40.) And my manpurse is a satchel.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I love watches and I have quite a few. I see a watch is more than something that tells time. I have a particular watch that is very light and small. It is easy to read and not distracting. It is never a problem with my swing. But, if I am not wearing that watch, I remove the one I am wearing. When I first bought my Tag I always wore it and found out quickly that is was not good to play golf with. It is pretty heavy and the crown would jab my wrist. It is also stainless steel so it was not comfortable when it was hot.

In my bag:

Nike Mach Speed Black

Nike Dymo 3 wood

TaylorMade Burner 3 hybrid

Mizuno MP-53 PW-3

TaylorMade RAC 52, 56, 60

Odyssey Black Series Tour Design

Off-topic story:

I never liked wearing any jewelry or watches, and still don't.  When I was in college, I remember our head football coach was replaced.  The new guy made every football player wear a watch as a team rule.  Really irked me.  I was never late for anything and I always resented having to wear it.  I remember making a plea to the coach to be exempt from it, but of course that wouldn't be allowed.  So my protest was to always point out that when a player showed up late for a meeting, he was wearing his watch.  My point was simple: being on time is about preparation and foresight.  Having a watch doesn't magically instill that.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I hardly ever wear a watch at all, and never on the course... they just don't feel comfortable to me... either too loose and moving around or too tight. As far as the ring goes, it stays on all the time (it's actually kind of hard to get off, which probably isn't a good thing).

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

My son borrowed my watch about 5 years ago and I haven't worn it since. My wedding ring has not been off my finger in probably 19 years. I used to be in work where at sometimes rings were dangerous and I would take them off for that task. Neither watch nor ring bothers me during golf, so if I had a watch on, I would probably wear it.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I used to take off my watch but I now wear a light G-Shock and it doesn't bother me when I play. I also don't wear a wedding ring because I lost it long ago. My wife doesn't wear hers either, I guess we just aren't much for jewelry plus you can tell by the haggard look on both our faces that we must be married. As far as the cell phone thing; the golf course is the one place I go to get away from the damn thing. I turn it off and stick it in my bag as soon as I get to the course.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisguy

to finding something (stand-alone GPS units work better and work everywhere without eating up your data mbs)

Originally Posted by bplewis24

My experience is that they don't.  And I've tried most of the highest rated stand-alone units.

I would have to disagree with you there. There are some decent apps available, but I can't see any of them outperforming my stand-alone GPS. Plus my wife has never called to nag me on my stand-alone.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Originally Posted by rehmwa

Is there a problem with my vanity bag? Here is a pic in case you were interested in getting yourself one...

Originally Posted by Armygolfer4life

I normally wear a watch and ring.  Since you guys are all about feeling naked or not, I often dont wear boxers in the summer when I play...

Where did you get that picture taken?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I sometimes wear a watch when I play and sometimes don't. I own a white Adidas watch that I lik cause it doesn't weigh anything at all, I don't think I would like having a larger clunkier metal watch on. Just bought a blue watch with a canvas band that should be perfect for golf, and maybe for this summer I'll get a GPS watch to try out

Damage to the (or a) watch doesn't bother me much. The 'wound' that is dug in under my left wrist and has not fully healed despite being more careful over the last 10 years concerns me more. Talked to a pro at a course a few years ago who told me about the procedure he had done to remove the damage done years of golfing while wearing a 'normal' watch. Not a fun story. Suppose I could have looked for a lighter, more appropriate watch but never did.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Is there a problem with my vanity bag?  Here is a pic in case you were interested in getting yourself one...

Nice. We have a regular in my Saturday group that shows up late a few times a year. I threatened to buy him a Hello Kitty alarm clock to replace his cell phone alarm but haven't followed through on it.... yet.

Note: This thread is 4028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!