IGNORED

Wedge Shaft Flex vs Stiff Flex, Spinners, Etc.

Note: This thread is 2818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently bought 3 Mizuno wedges (WOW....soft wedges indeed) from a local golf store. However, I had specified that the shafts be a wedge flex, but instead the salesman had told me that a stiff flex was better because one should not be concerned with distance as accuracy was the primary goal of wedges. Now, I'm regretting getting stiff wedges...as I can't seem to feel the heads as I swing. I don't always hit them solid....but enough to gauge my yardages..... LW=60 yrds, SW=70-75 yards, GW=80-85 yards.

Should I change shafts to a wedge flex? I'm just concerned about yardage gaps between clubs.
You don't know what pressure is until you've played for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket - Lee Trevino

MP-600 @ 10.5°
Insight BUL 3-wood @ 15°
Insight BUL 5-wood @ 18° IDEA a2 4i Hybrid @ 23° MX-25 5-PW MP-R Series 52° > 50°/05° MP-R Series 54°/10° MP-R...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The shafts in my wedges are True Temper Dynamic Gold S300s.
You don't know what pressure is until you've played for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket - Lee Trevino

MP-600 @ 10.5°
Insight BUL 3-wood @ 15°
Insight BUL 5-wood @ 18° IDEA a2 4i Hybrid @ 23° MX-25 5-PW MP-R Series 52° > 50°/05° MP-R Series 54°/10° MP-R...

I recently bought 3 Mizuno wedges . . . I had specified that the shafts be a wedge flex, but instead the salesman had told me that a stiff flex was better . . . Now, I'm regretting getting stiff wedges. . .

I'm very curious as to what "wedge flex" is. I've never heard of it and found no reference to "wedge flex" on the Mizuno or True Temper websites.

My wedges (PW, AW, SW) all have the same brand & flex shaft as the rest of my irons, and to the best of my knowledge every set of irons I've ever had had the same flex shafts in all of the irons, including wedges. Good luck with getting a suitable answer to your problem.

There is no such thing as a "Wedge Flex".

Ideally, what the shop should have done was take your irons, do a shaft profile and determine the frequency slope of your set and then set you up with shaft charactoristics that followed the same slope.

Unfortunately, almost all off the rack suppliers just want to move product...so you're stuck getting what was available.

Most likely, if he sold you stiff flex, it will be somewhere close to your existing set.

Bag #1
DRIVER: TourSwing TVC 10.5*w/VooDoo
FW: Geek 15* w/Graman Limey
FW: TourSwing Thunder 19* w/Graman Limey
HYBRIDS: #4 #5 Alpha RX Low w/Graman LimeyIRONS: Nakashima NP-2 w/Accra i SeriesWEDGES: Same as abovePUTTER: Slighter Olympia #1

I'm very curious as to what "wedge flex" is. I've never heard of it and found no reference to "wedge flex" on the Mizuno or True Temper websites.

I bought some Spin Milled Vokeys, and it said wedge flex on the shafts. However, on the Titleist website it says they come in S200 or S300. It doesn't say anything about wedge flex, so I too would like to know what wedge flex is.

The oh so mysterious "Wedge Flex" can be (as you guys know) S200/S300 on Titleist Vokey's and is normally S200s on TM RACs.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=93450

Not sure about the Mizuno MP-Rs but I'd guess it would be the same.
Easiest way would be to call up customer support. (By the way, Mizuno website says you only have a choice of R300/S300. http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/wedges/mp_r_series_chrome/ )

I'm not really sure that lack of feel is due to the shaft though.... I've always felt that Vokeys (swingweight is D5 according to Titleist website, http://www.titleist.com/golfclubs/we...spinmilled.asp ) and MP-Rs (especially) have always been a little heavier with regards to head weight (can someone confirm this?) and this contributes more to the lack of feel than anything.

The oh so mysterious "Wedge Flex" can be (as you guys know) S200/S300 on Titleist Vokey's and is normally S200s on TM RACs.

So, it sounds as if

Divot Tool did get "wedge flex" on his Mizuno wedges since S300 & R300 are, by (Mizuno's) definition, "wedge flex"?

There is no such thing as a "Wedge Flex".

Please clarify. Are you saying that "wedge flex" as advertised on Mizuno's website is really just a True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 shaft? I've seen wedges from Mizuno and Cleveland labelled as wedge flex. If it is true that the flex is stiff on these clubs, then why would they label them wedge flex instead of just S300? hmm?

Another note...the shafts in my irons are True Temper R300 Dynalite SL (steel).

MP-600 @ 10.5°
Insight BUL 3-wood @ 15°

I asked one of the guys in the shop and he said that I'm wrong...that there ARE a few companies claiming to have a wedge flex in their products...they're actually a stiff shafted steel shaft in flex, but designed specifically for the shorter club. It supposedly provides more feel and accuracy and in such a short club, the flex is less important. But both feel and accuracy are subjective traits and performance on a frequency anaylyser shows shows no or negligable difference to other steel shafts.

Bag #1
DRIVER: TourSwing TVC 10.5*w/VooDoo
FW: Geek 15* w/Graman Limey
FW: TourSwing Thunder 19* w/Graman Limey
HYBRIDS: #4 #5 Alpha RX Low w/Graman LimeyIRONS: Nakashima NP-2 w/Accra i SeriesWEDGES: Same as abovePUTTER: Slighter Olympia #1

I always thought "wedge flex" was essentially Stiff because the shaft length is just too short to make a true regular. It seems to me the whole "wedge flex" term is relatively new. I worked in golf retail about 6 years ago and all the wedges were labeled as "S".

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

• 1 year later...
I am glad that everyone has done some homework on this.

I have been interested in the same thing and that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Joey R

In the Bag:

905T w/Aldila NV 75x 904F w/Dynamic Gold x100 MP-32 w/Project X 6.5 Vokey 52.08 BeCu 56 MP-R 60 Studio Stainless Newport 2 ProV1, ProV1x, or NXT Tour

I've heard before (and it may not be right, but seemed logical) that wedge flex is basically stiff flex designed for a shorter shaft, one that is already inches shorter than a regular iron shaft and isn't just cut down. Basically it took it that means the shaft is stiff but designed with a kickpoint and torque adjusted to the shorter shaft.

All my wedges have rifle spinner wedge shafts. About the only wedge I do full shots with is my pw. The vast majority of my wedge shots are 3/4 or less b/c I'm more concerned with accuracy. Also as nice feeling as the Mizuno wedges are, b/c they are soft you will loose approx. 1/2 club in length, but again length isn't the main issue with wedges.

The rifle spinner wedge shaft has a more flexable tip than the regular rifle or rifle flighted shafts so you can get spin on the ball with less than full shots. I'm assuming that this is what you mean when you say wedge shaft.

In the end I know excellent golfers who prefer all of the shafts to be the same and excellent golfers who like the spinner wedge shafts in their wedges. So what is the answer here? Well when you get to the short game, its just like putting, its all feel. So with that in mind go with what feels the best to you.

Hope this helps, good luck.

• 1 month later...
Is the kickpoint of a Wedge flex relatively higher or lower than the kickpoint of a similar stiff iron shaft (e.g. DG S300)? My guess is that the kickpoint moves lower towards the club head?

I have Wedge flex wedges and sometimes think I would like a higher kickpoint or stiffer feel. Does anyone know what the PGA Tour guys prefer?

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

That's great about the wedges, I'm looking into getting a MP-T 51 degree myself, but wedge flex is about a S200, stiff shaft, but made for a shorter shaft. So in essence it may not feel as stiff as a stiff shaft in one of your irons.

in the bag

Driver: 909D2 9.5° Oban Devotion Shaft

3 Wood: G10 15.5°
Hybrid: 3dx RC 20° Ironwood 

4-PW: MP-57's S300

Wedges: 51° MP-T Black Nickel 56° Vokey Spin Milled 

Putter: Tracy II 35" Iomic Grip 

Ball: Pro V1x

I once emailed True Temper and asked about their "wedge flex" and was told that any club with a True Temper Dynamic Gold shaft band labeled "Wedge" flex was an S300.

In my bag:

Driver Cleveland Classic 310 Tour 10.5°  Miyazaki Kusala 61 Black Reg
Fairway Wood Cleveland Launcher FL 3/15° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg
Hybrids Cleveland Mashie 3/20.5° & 4/23° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg

Irons Wilson Ci9 5-6-7-8-9-PW-GW FST ss105 Reg 

Wedges Vokey SM 56.14

Putter GEL Ruby 34"

Balls Callaway HX Bite, Wilson Staff FG Tour

I could be off here, but is it possible that the shaft is being called "Wedge Flex" due to the sticker on the wedge itself? I had a Vockey wedge, with a True Temper Dynamic Gold sticker, and the word "Wedge" on one side. The actual shaft flex was S300 (but wasn't worded as such).

I've seen this "Wedge Flex" term used a lot on different websites when referencing shafts, but me thinks it's just as a generic term...

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Note: This thread is 2818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!