IGNORED

Forearm Training

Note: This thread is 6169 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everybody!

I filmed myself today on the range just to find out, that my hands are a little bit slow for my "weight shift / hip turn" move in the downswing.

I have two options now, slowing my hips down (that is sth i am not able to do... I tried it, but it feels to good the way it is right now and i have memorized that move to much) or increasing my forearm swing speed (that is sth i can do )

Do you have any good advice for me on how to do that? Is dumbbell training ok (this will only train my bizeps i suppose) or is there anything better for a golfer?

Thanks in advance

WitB

R7 Superquad 10.5
R7 Steel 3 Fw
2 Iron Rescue Dual MP 60 3-PW Vokey SM 56.10 Vokey SM 60.08 White Hot XG # 9

Hi everybody!

Handgrips are a great way to increase your forearm strength. I keep a pair at the office, a pair at home, and a pair in the car. There's also the gripmaster, for individual fingers. As far as dumbell training, there are a few options here. I'd suggest against traditional curls -- I'm no fitness expert, but when I do that, it feels as though it tightens the wrong parts of my arms, and trying to swing with those muscles tight is awful. I do plenty of workout in the gym, though. Hammer curls are great, as are flys (for shoulders). There's also MyTPI if you're looking for additional, golf-specific workouts.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In my opinion, it is more important to have a strong core and lower body then having a strong upper body in golf

In The Bag...

Driver: SQ Sumo 10.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto
3 Wood: Burner
Hybrid: SQ 18*Irons(3-PW): 755 w/ Dynamic Gold S30052.08*: Vokey Oil Can56.14*: Vokey Spin MilledPutter: Newport 2Ball: pro v1xShoes: Footjoy Athletics

Just grap a few irons and swing them.... Pretty simple. Swinging a single club thereafter feels like a walk in the park. Other thing you could try is hacking balls out of seriously deep rough (I think Nick Faldo did this when he was younger).

In my opinion, it is more important to have a strong core and lower body then having a strong upper body in golf

100% agreed. When I get tired during play, it's that I can't keep at address long enough and come up during shots. I need to figure out what, other than a stairmaster, I can use to help my lower body gain more strength.

Just grap a few irons and swing them.... Pretty simple. Swinging a single club thereafter feels like a walk in the park. Other thing you could try is hacking balls out of seriously deep rough (I think Nick Faldo did this when he was younger).

The multiple iron swinging is great, as are weights at the end of a club. But I want to suggest against the deep rough issue. Or, more specifically, do so gradually. Start with good lies in some rough, and move onto worse lies and worse rough. But don't overdo it: look what happened to Phil.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6169 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!