Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
patches

Game improving drivers

27 posts in this topic

I'm 14 and played high school golf this year, I really injoyed it and plan to do it next year to.  I wanted to upgrade my driver and woods because their starting to show some age.  I right now I am using a Callaway x 420 driver witha  10.5 degree loft and stiff flex.  I am not sure what my 3 wood is, all I know is that its old.  I have a budget of around 300 dollars and would like both a 3 wood and a driver.  I was hoping for some suggestions on what I should look at online before I drive 20 miles to the nearest golf store. thanks

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

For right around $300 you can get the Callaway Diablo Octane Driver and 3W from Dick's or Golf Galaxy. That's what I got this year to finally replace my old Steelhead III driver and woods and they improved my game drastically as far as distance and consistency.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by GatorCallaway

For right around $300 you can get the Callaway Diablo Octane Driver and 3W from Dick's or Golf Galaxy. That's what I got this year to finally replace my old Steelhead III driver and woods and they improved my game drastically as far as distance and consistency.

Yeah, I was looking at those and the taylor made burner 2.0, my dad uses the original burner and I find that they are to long for me. do you know if the driver/3wood is shorter then the taylor made?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go on Callaway pre-owned.  You can get a nice driver and 3W in like new condition for less than $300.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by patches

I was hoping for some suggestions on what I should look at online before I drive 20 miles to the nearest golf store. thanks

Go to 3balls golf and get a driver in at least Very Good condition.

You will be able to get any current model 3 wood for about $100 and almost any current model driver for under $200.

But......if you want to be really smart, go and get an original Ping Rapture driver for half the price, brand new.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get some of last year's models, I really like my Cobras...the S3 is only $150 now I believe, and the S3 woods should be less. There is also no shame in buying used.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by patches

Yeah, I was looking at those and the taylor made burner 2.0, my dad uses the original burner and I find that they are to long for me. do you know if the driver/3wood is shorter then the taylor made?

I can't speak for the TaylorMade but I know the Diablo driver had a 46" shaft that I had trimmed down to 43.5" by a club fitter. Also had the wood trimmed down to 42" from 43". I couldn't hit the driver consistently until I had it trimmed down but the wood was just personal preference. It costed me 10 bucks altogether for the trimming and reweighting since I bought and eventually installed my own grip.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a list I like to visit when I am in the market... Since I have outgrown the 10.5 but don't hit it a ton I am now using this list....

http://www.golf.com/equipment/golf-magazine-clubtest-2012-drivers

C

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by GatorCallaway

I can't speak for the TaylorMade but I know the Diablo driver had a 46" shaft that I had trimmed down to 43.5" by a club fitter. Also had the wood trimmed down to 42" from 43". I couldn't hit the driver consistently until I had it trimmed down but the wood was just personal preference. It costed me 10 bucks altogether for the trimming and reweighting since I bought and eventually installed my own grip.

I went out and hit the octane today and really liked it, I didnt buy them today but will hope to in a short time, thanks for all the help!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a problem. Glad to help. If you really want to save money go with a used Steelhead III 3W. Its a 10 year old club but can be found for under $50. When I had problems controlling my driver I'd use it. Always has been my favorite tee club as far as sound, feel, and performance. I like the Octane 3W but will never get rid of "ol' reliable".

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patches - a couple quick thoughts...

I would suggest the Callaway Diablo Octane ($150), as the others did (and obviously you said you liked it when you hit it).  Another club I would suggest at least giving a try (even though you already like the Octane) is the Ping G15 ($200 brand new, but you could probaby find a demo or used but in great shape for cheaper).

As far as club length, I would suggest buying the stock length and just choking up on the club a bit.  Then when you are comfortable with the full length of the driver, you won't have to buy a new one.  It's tough to find a driver these days with a shaft length other than roughly 46".  You'd pretty pretty much have to go custom for anything shorter.  Whenever I'm having trouble off the tee, I just tee the ball up a little lower and choke up on the club for control (even though I lose a bit of distance, it's better than being in the woods or lake on rough days).

Good luck with your purchase and next season!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by tefunk

Patches - a couple quick thoughts...

I would suggest the Callaway Diablo Octane ($150), as the others did (and obviously you said you liked it when you hit it).  Another club I would suggest at least giving a try (even though you already like the Octane) is the Ping G15 ($200 brand new, but you could probaby find a demo or used but in great shape for cheaper).

As far as club length, I would suggest buying the stock length and just choking up on the club a bit.  Then when you are comfortable with the full length of the driver, you won't have to buy a new one.  It's tough to find a driver these days with a shaft length other than roughly 46".  You'd pretty pretty much have to go custom for anything shorter.  Whenever I'm having trouble off the tee, I just tee the ball up a little lower and choke up on the club for control (even though I lose a bit of distance, it's better than being in the woods or lake on rough days).

Good luck with your purchase and next season!I

I will try the G15 next time i'm out at a golf store and thanks for the info on club length.  Good luck yourself!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can find a Ping Rapture, BUY IT.

Its almost cheating :D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Srixon Z-Star drivers and fairway woods are on blow-out sale right now, and you could get both for well under $300.  The best part is that they both come with Miyazaki Dromos shafts, which are still going for $250+ by themselves.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by ApocG10

If you can find a Ping Rapture, BUY IT.

Its almost cheating :D

I've got one of the original Rapture's.   I swapped out the stock shaft for an NVS and I can't seem to part with it.   I've hit virtually every driver made yet I can't find anything that feels or performs as well.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hit some g15 black dot irons. Loved em. I watched my buddy hit the g20 and just smashed it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you like a driver but the shaft is too long, it's very easy to cut down the shaft. I blow off the original grip with compressed air (sometimes takes up to 100 PSI, don't forget to put a piece of pipe or tubing over the grip to prevent "blowouts"), wrap masking tape around the butt end (easier to mark and helps contain the graphite fibres), and make the cut with an abrasive wheel (I have a 7" chop saw just for shafts). You can then re-grip with something else, or put the original grip back. Most people use gripping tape and solvent, but I prefer 2" masking tape and compressed air - allowing me to use the club immediately and making it easier to remove it in future should I need to do so.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Brian Fergusson

If you like a driver but the shaft is too long, it's very easy to cut down the shaft. I blow off the original grip with compressed air (sometimes takes up to 100 PSI, don't forget to put a piece of pipe or tubing over the grip to prevent "blowouts"), wrap masking tape around the butt end (easier to mark and helps contain the graphite fibres), and make the cut with an abrasive wheel (I have a 7" chop saw just for shafts). You can then re-grip with something else, or put the original grip back. Most people use gripping tape and solvent, but I prefer 2" masking tape and compressed air - allowing me to use the club immediately and making it easier to remove it in future should I need to do so.

Do your grips slip when you only use masking tape? I've heard of this before but never really trusted the grip to abuse without double sided tape.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • it slows down the breakdown of elastin
      it slows down the breakdown of elastin and depletion of collagen. Saffron – helps curb darkish pigmentation as Blossom Youth Cream Prodroxatone Allegro Anti developing older Allegro Anti Truvaderm getting ancient Cream excessive-first-rate as Allegro Anti getting historic Cream darkish Renewing Serum CE circles Erase restoration HA beneath Vita Luminance experiences the eyes the entire while as making enhancements to zits problems. Helps clear http://drozforskolin.org/blossom-youth-cream-review/
    • Parsons Xtreme Golf, GoDaddy Founder Starts New Golf Company
      First time I had the 0311 7i in my hand, I look up at address and say, "How very Ping of them." My instructor, who is a dealer, looks up, smiles, and says, "Ya' think?" As you know, Parsons lured 2 senior Ping vets away to start his company.  The hybrids are also attractive, moreso in hand than in pics. Sound is solid yet feel at impact is still lively - an effective balance.
    • Hitting behind the ball and making deep divots...
      Hi there! I also took a look at your swing. First, mvmac's response is stellar. Study that video and try to replicate the swing you see in his example video, placing emphasis on keeping your lower body more stable during the swing. Some golf basics: hitting behind the golf ball (ie a fat shot) is almost always the result of not getting your weight over to the left side at impact. By getting your weight over onto the left side before impact you will be promoting a slew of good things, like coming into the golf ball with the hands ahead of the ball at impact and the shaft leaning forward, all things that will promote hitting the ball first and then the ground, and hitting down on the ball.  In your swing what I saw was a tremendous amount of hip rotation in the back swing combined with a sway to the right side. At the top of the backswing your hips are so open and your body so far off the ball that its going to take an incresibly timed athletic move to get back to your address position and onto your left side prior to impact. Instead, think of the golf.swing as more of a rotary action. Your upper body turns away from the golf ball while your lower body tries to maintain the position you were in at address. As you wind the upper body back, try to feel like you are restricting the hips and teyinf to keep them in the same position as address. In actualityx the wonding back of the upper bidy will pull the hips back slightly and you should feel some tension, like your body has been wound back like a spring. From there the correct move is to do the opposite, rotate your hips to the left, shift your body weight onto your left side, and let the lower body and club fall onto the correct plane. From there you can swing hard and through the golf ball. A good drill is to practice the forgoing with 1/2 swing, pausing for a moment between the back swing and downswing. Hope this helps!  P.s. fatigue will always affect performance. If your arms feel tired and your focus is gone, its always best to move onto chipping/putting. 
    • The best tip you have had, but not from a pro
      Don't let the way you play spoil your day.
    • "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge May 2016
      I believe I have completed the May 2016 practice challenge.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. obwan
      obwan
      (70 years old)
    2. rkim291968
      rkim291968
      (54 years old)
  • Blog Entries