IGNORED

Game improving drivers

Note: This thread is 4324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm 14 and played high school golf this year, I really injoyed it and plan to do it next year to.  I wanted to upgrade my driver and woods because their starting to show some age.  I right now I am using a Callaway x 420 driver witha  10.5 degree loft and stiff flex.  I am not sure what my 3 wood is, all I know is that its old.  I have a budget of around 300 dollars and would like both a 3 wood and a driver.  I was hoping for some suggestions on what I should look at online before I drive 20 miles to the nearest golf store. thanks

For right around $300 you can get the Callaway Diablo Octane Driver and 3W from Dick's or Golf Galaxy. That's what I got this year to finally replace my old Steelhead III driver and woods and they improved my game drastically as far as distance and consistency.

Originally Posted by GatorCallaway

For right around $300 you can get the Callaway Diablo Octane Driver and 3W from Dick's or Golf Galaxy. That's what I got this year to finally replace my old Steelhead III driver and woods and they improved my game drastically as far as distance and consistency.

Yeah, I was looking at those and the taylor made burner 2.0, my dad uses the original burner and I find that they are to long for me. do you know if the driver/3wood is shorter then the taylor made?

Go on Callaway pre-owned.  You can get a nice driver and 3W in like new condition for less than $300.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by patches

I was hoping for some suggestions on what I should look at online before I drive 20 miles to the nearest golf store. thanks

Go to 3balls golf and get a driver in at least Very Good condition.

You will be able to get any current model 3 wood for about $100 and almost any current model driver for under $200.

But......if you want to be really smart, go and get an original Ping Rapture driver for half the price, brand new.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Get some of last year's models, I really like my Cobras...the S3 is only $150 now I believe, and the S3 woods should be less. There is also no shame in buying used.

Originally Posted by patches

Yeah, I was looking at those and the taylor made burner 2.0, my dad uses the original burner and I find that they are to long for me. do you know if the driver/3wood is shorter then the taylor made?

I can't speak for the TaylorMade but I know the Diablo driver had a 46" shaft that I had trimmed down to 43.5" by a club fitter. Also had the wood trimmed down to 42" from 43". I couldn't hit the driver consistently until I had it trimmed down but the wood was just personal preference. It costed me 10 bucks altogether for the trimming and reweighting since I bought and eventually installed my own grip.

Here is a list I like to visit when I am in the market... Since I have outgrown the 10.5 but don't hit it a ton I am now using this list....

http://www.golf.com/equipment/golf-magazine-clubtest-2012-drivers

C

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

Originally Posted by GatorCallaway

I can't speak for the TaylorMade but I know the Diablo driver had a 46" shaft that I had trimmed down to 43.5" by a club fitter. Also had the wood trimmed down to 42" from 43". I couldn't hit the driver consistently until I had it trimmed down but the wood was just personal preference. It costed me 10 bucks altogether for the trimming and reweighting since I bought and eventually installed my own grip.

I went out and hit the octane today and really liked it, I didnt buy them today but will hope to in a short time, thanks for all the help!

Not a problem. Glad to help. If you really want to save money go with a used Steelhead III 3W. Its a 10 year old club but can be found for under $50. When I had problems controlling my driver I'd use it. Always has been my favorite tee club as far as sound, feel, and performance. I like the Octane 3W but will never get rid of "ol' reliable".

Patches - a couple quick thoughts...

I would suggest the Callaway Diablo Octane ($150), as the others did (and obviously you said you liked it when you hit it).  Another club I would suggest at least giving a try (even though you already like the Octane) is the Ping G15 ($200 brand new, but you could probaby find a demo or used but in great shape for cheaper).

As far as club length, I would suggest buying the stock length and just choking up on the club a bit.  Then when you are comfortable with the full length of the driver, you won't have to buy a new one.  It's tough to find a driver these days with a shaft length other than roughly 46".  You'd pretty pretty much have to go custom for anything shorter.  Whenever I'm having trouble off the tee, I just tee the ball up a little lower and choke up on the club for control (even though I lose a bit of distance, it's better than being in the woods or lake on rough days).

Good luck with your purchase and next season!

Originally Posted by tefunk

Patches - a couple quick thoughts...

I would suggest the Callaway Diablo Octane ($150), as the others did (and obviously you said you liked it when you hit it).  Another club I would suggest at least giving a try (even though you already like the Octane) is the Ping G15 ($200 brand new, but you could probaby find a demo or used but in great shape for cheaper).

As far as club length, I would suggest buying the stock length and just choking up on the club a bit.  Then when you are comfortable with the full length of the driver, you won't have to buy a new one.  It's tough to find a driver these days with a shaft length other than roughly 46".  You'd pretty pretty much have to go custom for anything shorter.  Whenever I'm having trouble off the tee, I just tee the ball up a little lower and choke up on the club for control (even though I lose a bit of distance, it's better than being in the woods or lake on rough days).

Good luck with your purchase and next season!I

I will try the G15 next time i'm out at a golf store and thanks for the info on club length.  Good luck yourself!

If you can find a Ping Rapture, BUY IT.

Its almost cheating :D

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Srixon Z-Star drivers and fairway woods are on blow-out sale right now, and you could get both for well under $300.  The best part is that they both come with Miyazaki Dromos shafts, which are still going for $250+ by themselves.

Originally Posted by ApocG10

If you can find a Ping Rapture, BUY IT.

Its almost cheating :D

I've got one of the original Rapture's.   I swapped out the stock shaft for an NVS and I can't seem to part with it.   I've hit virtually every driver made yet I can't find anything that feels or performs as well.

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

I hit some g15 black dot irons. Loved em. I watched my buddy hit the g20 and just smashed it.

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

If you like a driver but the shaft is too long, it's very easy to cut down the shaft. I blow off the original grip with compressed air (sometimes takes up to 100 PSI, don't forget to put a piece of pipe or tubing over the grip to prevent "blowouts"), wrap masking tape around the butt end (easier to mark and helps contain the graphite fibres), and make the cut with an abrasive wheel (I have a 7" chop saw just for shafts). You can then re-grip with something else, or put the original grip back. Most people use gripping tape and solvent, but I prefer 2" masking tape and compressed air - allowing me to use the club immediately and making it easier to remove it in future should I need to do so.

Originally Posted by Brian Fergusson

If you like a driver but the shaft is too long, it's very easy to cut down the shaft. I blow off the original grip with compressed air (sometimes takes up to 100 PSI, don't forget to put a piece of pipe or tubing over the grip to prevent "blowouts"), wrap masking tape around the butt end (easier to mark and helps contain the graphite fibres), and make the cut with an abrasive wheel (I have a 7" chop saw just for shafts). You can then re-grip with something else, or put the original grip back. Most people use gripping tape and solvent, but I prefer 2" masking tape and compressed air - allowing me to use the club immediately and making it easier to remove it in future should I need to do so.

Do your grips slip when you only use masking tape? I've heard of this before but never really trusted the grip to abuse without double sided tape.

Note: This thread is 4324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!