IGNORED

Touching line of putt

cliffj
Note: This thread is 3676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

I got a response back this morning. I can't quote it as y'all know but it said using a laser to point is fine as long as it doesn't occur during a stroke.

As the USGA has responded to my inquiry, I consider this closed.

Thanks for doing the follow-up. I still don't like the result, just another thing to slow down play, but the RB has spoken.

Well, at least one clerk at USGA has spoken :)

All in all, in my mind use of a laser pointer does not seem to be in breach of the principle behind R8-2 as it does not leave any mark on the green. Thus I would not disagree with the USGA clerk ;-)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
I disagree with you but that is most likely in vain, as you delete all posts/lines that you do not like. Just as in my post #44. I cannot help wondering why you did that.

Your post wasn't touched. Nor was this one. But keep on making your allegations. :sigh: If I deleted all posts and lines I don't like I'd never get into disagreements. The very fact that I do speaks to how wrong you are. Keep posts on topic or be restricted from the topic. And Multi-Quote too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I disagree with you but that is most likely in vain, as you delete all posts/lines that you do not like. Just as in my post #44. I cannot help wondering why you did that.

I'm not sure what is going on here, but your Post Count and Date Joined would show me that you've been around here long enough to know that @iacas is not go ing to delete a post he disagrees with. If anything, he'll set aside time to respond to these types of posts, just as he's done here with you (and with me and many other members of TST). Erik surely doesn't need the "backup", but I did feel inclined to state the truth. The only posts I see deleted around here are spam, blatant misinformation, or posts that incorporate tasteless/offensive material.

Sorry, back on topic.

• Administrator
Sorry, back on topic.

Yes Please. The issue as I said is settled as far as I'm concerned. Not that I foresee people using laser pointers any time soon… :-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well, at least one clerk at USGA has spoken :)

All in all, in my mind use of a laser pointer does not seem to be in breach of the principle behind R8-2 as it does not leave any mark on the green. Thus I would not disagree with the USGA clerk ;-)

Hi Ignorant,

Just an FYI, but assuming Iacas sent his question via the link on the USGA's website, the questions are answered by 2-3 full time staff members who don't take their answers lightly.  They have the full resources of the USGA behind them if it's a unique question.  Not saying it's not impossible to get a wrong answer, but I wasn't sure how to take your "clerk" comment....even with the ;-).  Also, there are instances where the R&A; and USGA disagree on rulings or interpretations.  The RB's will try and reach a resolution during there semi-annual Joint Rule Committee meetings.

Regards,

John

• Administrator
Just an FYI, but assuming Iacas sent his question via the link on the USGA's website,

Yes. As did @bkuehn1952 the lead. In the past I have gotten contradictory answers, depending on how a question is phrased and who answers it, but I can count those instances on one hand, while I've sent in known others who have sent in 50 to 100 questions. The laser pointer in this thread is simply pointing, so that is why I believe the answer I got matches my own thoughts on this particular case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogolf

Don't use it near airports!

Hey we agree on something.                 Very bad for pilots.

KLAS, everyone's favorite, even without the downtown lasers. ;-)

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder

Sorry, back on topic.

Yes Please.

The issue as I said is settled as far as I'm concerned.

Not that I foresee people using laser pointers any time soon…

Truth!  After all, even if they do, it's still dependent on being able to read the green correctly, and strike the ball at the correct speed to to take the break indicated.  Any way you look at it, there's more to putting than just seeing a spot of light on the green.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator

Truth!  After all, even if they do, it's still dependent on being able to read the green correctly, and strike the ball at the correct speed to to take the break indicated.  Any way you look at it, there's more to putting than just seeing a spot of light on the green.

Indeed. That's why AimPoint charts, or yardage books, are legal too. You've still gotta hit the shot.

Note: This thread is 3676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!