IGNORED

need a 60 degree wedge

Note: This thread is 4338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i am after a 60 degree wedge and i quite like the look of the titleist vokey, i used a friends 56 degree and it played nice but im unsure on what finish i need. is it a case of pretty colours or is there more of a science to it?

Originally Posted by carcrash

i am after a 60 degree wedge and i quite like the look of the titleist vokey, i used a friends 56 degree and it played nice but im unsure on what finish i need. is it a case of pretty colours or is there more of a science to it?

Some claim the unchromed wedges feel softer than the chromed.  I can't feel a difference.  Back in the day I thought it was cool if my wedge was rusted.  Now I could care less, I usually opt for chrome finish.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by carcrash

I used to go for a copper / brass look for the SW and crome for everything else so I wouldn't accidentally grab the wrong stick in a rush. Now everything sort of matches the irons and I have to do a double take when pulling a wedge - mistakes happen.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I think the grooves of the plated wedges - satin chrome is a favorite - last longer than raw.

As to the Vokey SM4, it is a fine wedge. Unless you really pick, the 60-10 seems a good overall grind. At least it is for me.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play four wedges.. all vokeys except the 60 degree that is a Mizuno T11.. everytime i play with it, i feel like changing all my vokeys to T11s:)

I won't do it 'cause the vokeys are great for my game but this Mizuno wedge is just AMAZING! Try it out..

Originally Posted by smoothswing

I won't do it 'cause the vokeys are great for my game but this Mizuno wedge is just AMAZING! Try it out..

Please explain this.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I owned a MIzuno MP T11 60-08, and it is an excellent wedge - it stopped BStone e5's in their tracks. But something was lacking - I wanted more glide, which comes from more bounce or at least a different grind. The Vokey SM4 is a tad larger head towards the bottom - it was redesigned this year - and the 60-10 M grind fits my swing better than the Mizuno.

Both are excellent - but typically one will fit your swing better than the other - choose the one that fits better.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Shorty

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothswing

Please explain this.

Maybe he means that if he had to do it over he'd go with the Mizuno wedges, but the Titleist Vokeys are still getting the job done (i.e. fit for purpose) so he's not about to swap them out just because he'd "prefer" the Mizuno version.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Check out the Callaway Forged Wedges. I have a mixed wedge set: old cleveland sandwedge from when I was 17, Vokey 52, and just picked up the Callway Forged 60 degree in a copper finish about 2 months ago I love it. I like the look of the oil can/copper finishes myself. Try out a few different brands and see what feels best.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I owned a MIzuno MP T11 60-08, and it is an excellent wedge - it stopped BStone e5's in their tracks. But something was lacking - I wanted more glide, which comes from more bounce or at least a different grind. The Vokey SM4 is a tad larger head towards the bottom - it was redesigned this year - and the 60-10 M grind fits my swing better than the Mizuno.

Both are excellent - but typically one will fit your swing better than the other - choose the one that fits better.

The SM4 60/10 M grind is sweet and should be able to cover a lot of shots. I have a similar Titleist 60 TVD (M grind) being sent my way soon.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I use a 58* instead of a 60, I find it more versatile, but that's personal opinion.

I had a 58.08 Vokey and never could make decent contact around the greens.  I skulled so many shots low and over the green that I finally sold it just so I wouldn't be tempted to put it back in the bag.

I picked up a Scratch 58* at the PGA Superstore and hit it a few times, went and figured out which grind they offered that best fit my normal swing and bought one.  It ended up being a D/D grind that has 14* of bounce.  I have never liked a wedge so much, the additional bounce has really made my short pitches more accurate and stable.

The best part is that they have them on sale at Rockbottomgolf for $50 now, so I'm going to order a couple more in different lofts at that price.

Note: This thread is 4338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!