IGNORED

Took Jack's advice...sweet results.

Note: This thread is 4310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Always tough for me to get to the range, usually a week between sessions. Unlimited balls,  pay for the time. All the notions of how to do the swing properly and with good results elude me for the first 20 minutes. The grip, the takeaway, the extension, the shoulder turn,,,on and on. Then some good shots arise for a time till i switch clubs to the 3 wood off the mat.  Then back to square one for a spell.  Towards the end of my 2.5 hrs i gave Jack's advice a try: keep the head immobile.  So i tried that with some slow swings with a hybrid  and finally felt the 'feel' drop into place and soon pow, pow, pow.  The ball was off like a rocket to the small target 189 yds out.  Very consistent which is super nice.  Just one more step along the long and winding  road. Now Jack, could i hire you to hold my head still as Grout did for you?

Similar experience is common for me.  Toward the end of the session I'll decide to stay on the left side as per Stack and Tilt principles and start hitting it pure.

In my Ping Mantis Carry Bag:

Driver | Nakashima NP1 420 9° | Graphite Design YS-7+ Stiff (44 in)

3W | Callaway X-Hot 15° | Adila NV-65S
3H | Acer XDS | TT DG S300

4I-GW | Acer XK Pro | TT DG S300
56° 60° | Dynacraft DMC Forged | TT DG S300

P | SeeMore FGP Mallet | Tupper Grip | 34in

Ball | Reclaimed Pro V1[x]

ah, another one of those bar stories by someone who will no doubt lose it next week and go onto the next tip. Sorry, lol. Keeping the head steady is a good idea for a lot, i'm just warning you. Don't go thinking you have found the secret to golf, trust me, the golfing gods do not take kindly to that.

Keep working on trying to ingrain good quality things every time you practice. Ignore the result now, if you work on the right things then the result will creep up on you better and better. If you look for the thing that is just going to give you success now, you will probably be like most golfers, spinning our wheels for years on end, constantly finding it and then losing it.  sorry for being so pessimistic about it - I have just been through all of that stuff before

Yup... probably why one of the 5 Keys is "Steady Head"

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A steady head is key, at least it has been for me.  The problem I have with Jack and some others (not Erik) that talk about a steady head is that it's presented (or I interpreted) as a swing thought, i.e. maintain a steady head.  What I've found is that a steady head is easier to achieve when the rest of your swing is done properly and not just from trying to not move your head.   I guess if someone grabbed me by my hair while I swung a club I'd have figured that out quicker.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
Originally Posted by newtogolf

A steady head is key, at least it has been for me.  The problem I have with Jack and some others (not Erik) that talk about a steady head is that it's presented (or I interpreted) as a swing thought, i.e. maintain a steady head.  What I've found is that a steady head is easier to achieve when the rest of your swing is done properly and not just from trying to not move your head.   I guess if someone grabbed me by my hair while I swung a club I'd have figured that out quicker.

Thanks. Being able to explain exactly how to keep your head steady is one of the nice things S&T; brought to the golf world (except they screwed up the specifics - you don't actually "stand up" during your backswing - your lead side increases in flexion in the hips, etc.).

Or rather I should say it's one of the nice things Mac O'Grady brought to the golf world, via Mike and Andy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You're welcome, I've learned a lot from this site.  My problem was actually on the down swing, I developed some very bad habits when I first started to play BST (before sand trap -10 years ago).  I had a tendency to throw my hands out without my hips moving so the only way I could prevent myself from hitting the ground before the ball was to lift up.  I've spent the last 6 weeks working on having my hips trigger my downswing and keeping my left arm tight to my body to keep the hands close.  When I do it properly the head doesn't move and my overall contact and distance have improved.   The course groundskeepers have also been happier as I'm not creating craters on the fairways.

Originally Posted by iacas

Thanks. Being able to explain exactly how to keep your head steady is one of the nice things S&T; brought to the golf world (except they screwed up the specifics - you don't actually "stand up" during your backswing - your lead side increases in flexion in the hips, etc.).

Or rather I should say it's one of the nice things Mac O'Grady brought to the golf world, via Mike and Andy.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by iacas

Would you be willing to explain this in a bit more detail?  I still struggle "Tilting Left".. It's the bane of my existence or something similar to that.

I did however, have my best round of the year yesterday by "feeling" like I was tilting left from the hips.  I was murdering the driver.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by gwlee7

Would you be willing to explain this in a bit more detail?  I still struggle "Tilting Left".. It's the bane of my existence or something similar to that.

I did however, have my best round of the year yesterday by "feeling" like I was tilting left from the hips.  I was murdering the driver.

In person some time, Greg. You still need to keep driving your left shoulder down. I'll send you a PM.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by gwlee7

As I understand it, tilting left (to the target), is what you would be doing IF you didn't also rotate your hips and shoulders around the spine away from the target on the backswing.  Since you do tilt and rotate at the same time, the net result is that your left shoulder (if you're a righty), ends up turning down to the ball.

Note: This thread is 4310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!